General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #31  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

It always amazed me how I'd end the day with a very strong resolve that this was it, I was done with the cigarettes. Only to wake up the next morning with 3 times the cravings.

Unless you're one of those fantastic people who can put your mind to something and immediately do it (I'm not one of them ) then you just have to set a date, realize that it's going to be a struggle and tell yourself that you are stronger than the craving.

And to those who have quit and get tempted to pick one up again I have heard 2 things that seem to ring true - "one is too many and a thousand is never enough" and quits seem to get harder the second time around. This from people who quit for years and started back up again - innocently by thinking they could have just one and walk away.

I'm afraid to have another cigarette because I know I will always long for them and one would lead to another and bang, I'd be back smoking in a minute.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #32  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
Unless you're one of those fantastic people who can put your mind to something and immediately do it (I'm not one of them ) then you just have to set a date, realize that it's going to be a struggle and tell yourself that you are stronger than the craving.
I want to second that. It might be a good idea to set a date and prepare for it. You could, e.g.
  • analyze your smoking patterns - maybe even log your cigarettes the way many here log their food
  • collect as much motivational reading as you can
  • stock your fridge and pantry with crunchy stuff like baby carrots, celery and apples and maybe some sugar-free chewing gum, if you like it (don't go overboard on the last one, though)
  • get rid of your smoking utensils, if possible - ashtrays, lighters etc.
  • think of alternative things to do on "smoke breaks" and when cravings hit

Heading into battle prepared can give you a much-needed boost!

Last edited by Heffalump; 04-21-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Thank you for the copy of the book ladies. I will get to reading that as soon as I can. Meanwhile the tracking of habit is a good idea. I will do that as well.
I really have to get back to this diet and gym thing. I have been really off track lately.
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #34  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Smoker right here. Actually I haven't had one since 4/26 so almost a week
Okay so I was sick and that's the reason I haven't smoked but I think I'm going to stick with it. I know it'll help my exercise sooo much and obviously save mucho moola. It's a social thing for me, my two best friends smoke so when I'm around it's natural for me to light up. Also when I have a drink or two - forget about it. I've not been drinking too much since I'm trying to count calories because lets face it I'd rather have a piece of bread then a drink but this girl anyway needs a cocktail or two from time to time! I quit last year for about 3 months but didn't drink at all during this time. I'm at that odd point right now where it actually smells gross if I smell someone smoking but yet I still want one!!
Anyway glad to see I'm not alone! Good luck all!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #35  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
The habit ... without a doubt!
In the car, on the phone, with coffee, at break ....

BTW ... I'm 24 hours again.
Good job on the 24 hours!!

I actually have quit before - once for almost 2 years but picked them up again (thinking they were going to help me stop gaining weight)

Absolutely the habit for me too - especially in the car. There are certain traffic lights that if I hit them red that's where I light up. Guess I'll have to find a different route to work I'f I'm really busy or involved in something I can go all day without even thinking about it but the moment my little brain is unoccupied..........

Since you started this whole idea I've been thinking along the same lines as Heffalump as far as analyzing the habit. I may try applying some of the things I've learned about weight loss like the planning, planning, planning. Must say I seem to have tapered off a little though - down to about 1/2 a pack a day for the last week.

Still in the "teetering on the edge not ready to jump" state of mind but I'll definitely be lurking around this thread and I'll let you know as soon as I leap.

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 04-25-2008 at 03:48 PM.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #36  
fergi

S/C/G: 197.5/188.8/160

Height: 5'6

I started smoking when I was 15 and now am 31. I quit on Feb 28 of this year. It actually was not by choice. I got really ill with a bad stomach flu.

When I am sick I do not want a cigarette. So I did not smoke for 5 days. Well when I got better I thought to myself I just went 5 days without a cigarette I think I can go more.

So I did. I still have the cravings but mainly after I eat and after a bad day of work. Other than that I am not doing to bad.

I did gain 3 pounds back but what is 3 pounds compared to a lifetime with my husband and kids.

Both my grandfathers died from lung cancer. I don't want to be the next.

My mom was an RN for MD Anderson and worked with lung cancer patients in their treatments and such. She used to come home and tell me all the horror stories but would not listen. I guess you could say I am older and wiser now and I actually listen to my mom. I guess becoming a mom makes you appreciate yours more.
fergi is offline   Reply With Quote