General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Do you turn your comp off or leave it on?

Do you leave your comp on when you arne't using it, or turn it off? Does it matter? Is it better or lengthen the life of your comp if you turn it off if you aren't using it? How about if there is a diff between a laptop of a stand still comp?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I have 4 computers that I use in my work/home office and I leave them all on all the time except when I'm travelling and going to be out of town for more than a few days.

I think it's less strain on the hard drives and on the system if you're not constantly powering down/up.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

We leave ours on too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #4  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Leave it on, it doesn't need to be rebooted (with windows xp or better). It wastes power to go on and off.

Laptops can be put in sleep mode so they don't get too hot (on a table). Never leave a laptop on a couch or blanket, while on, it will get to hot.

That being said, you should turn off your monitor if you are not using your pc, or set the monitor to automatically turn off after 25 minutes of inactivity.

Last edited by vixjean; 03-02-2008 at 01:00 AM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #5  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

We turn our monitor off at night, but not the computer. The monitor flashing through the picture/slide show screen saver is a distraction while sleeping. If we are going to be away/out of town, we do shut the computer down. We lost one monitor to a power surge during a thunderstorm. We had it plugged into a surge protector, but it was still a loss. Thank goodness the computer itself survived.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #6  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Thumbs up

Leave on.

Let go to sleep mode when away for a while.

Reboot once every few days just to let the processes cycle through and get back in the right order--which is good both for the operating system and the software. Puts all the data blocks in more efficient order and allows for a faster process. But not too often, as that's just not necessary, with most systems.

full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I leave it on... I WOULD turn it off when not in use to conserve energy, however my computer is insanely slow(takes literally 20 minutes for everything to load at startup) which is a royal pain when you just want to look something up really quick.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have a laptop. I turn it off at night. During the day, I put it into Sleep mode when I'm away from it. No need to restart every time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Computers don't really use that much energy to run. It's like starting your car, you take more gas to turn it off and restart it than you do to leave it running 5 minutes. Turning the computer on and off uses energy moreso than just having it remain on. Plus, turning it off is cooling down and heating up the power supply constantly expanding and contracting. It wears it out.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I leave the desktop on all the time, except when we are travelling. The flatscreen monitor is set on a power saving mode that turns it off after 30 minutes of disuse.

My laptop gets put into hibernation mode at the end of the day.

I reboot both about once a week just to let them reset everything.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #11  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I leave the desktop on but turn off the laptop. I have this fear that if I leave my laptop on it would get too hot and something would happen.
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #12  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

I turn my off since once I was hacked even though I had the antivirus program.
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #13  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I leave my work computer on all week and only turn it off saturday nights, my laptop stays in sleep mode unless I am using it..but I do turn it off at night.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #14  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Use to leave it on all the time just shut off the monitor. But with security and financial info/passwords at risk, we try to remember to shut it off at night. We run a Norton scan one a wk (live update and the Norton anti virus programs are at work daily while the computer is on). We run an Adaware scan nearly every day. TONS of little data miners get onto the computer, regardless of spam and pop-up blockers installed and these really bog down and slow down the whole works. Rebooting every few days resets everything and makes it run quicker. Running the Adaware, deleting cookies and temp internet pages, then rebooting speeds things up considerably.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-03-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #15  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Computers and monitors left on all the time are actually a significant energy drain. From NPR.com:

Morning Edition, June 17, 2004 · Computers and computer monitors in the United States are responsible for the unnecessary production of millions of tons of greenhouse gases every year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. In U.S. companies alone, more than $1 billion a year is wasted on electricity for computer monitors that are turned on when they shouldn't be.

EPA officials say emissions could be drastically reduced if companies and individual computer users would follow a few energy-saving guidelines.

Energy-Saving Tips
• Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use for more than an hour.

• Screen savers do not save electricity. Free software provided by the EPA automatically puts monitors into energy-saving "sleep mode" when not in use.

• When purchasing new or replacement computers, consider buying efficient flat screens and laptops bearing the 'Energy Star' label.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote