General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Ladies. . . birth control health alert

In June of last year I was rushed to Northwestern Memorial Hospital due to what I thought was a migraine. It was the worst headache of my life. In fact, it was so bad I was vomitting. I have never in my life had pain so bad that I was vomitting. . . but it really can happen.

A CAT scan revealed I had bleeding on my brain. Later, an MRI revealed I had a massive blood clot in my brain.

Everyone knows that birth control can cause blood clots. The risk is elevated by those that are over 35 or smokers. The thing is, none of us realize how great that risk is.

I found it amazing that every health practioner I spoke with immediately guessed that I had been on bc when I told them I was suffering from a blood clot. They usually followed their guess with the comment that they have seen a lot of females my age (26 at the time) with this unfortunate side effect.

Here are some numbers:

"The research from Boston University School of Medicine in Massachusetts indicates that oral contraceptives containing desogestrel or gestodene increased the risk of blood clots by a factor of 2.3 compared to older birth control pills containing levonorgestrel.

The findings support earlier research about the potential danger of the "third-generation" pills that caused a scare in 1995 and resulted in a warning to doctors and pharmacists about the potential dangers. Since the warning, the number of women taking the "third generation" pill, have dropped by about 80%.

The researchers estimated that if women had not switched after the warning there would have been about 26% more cases of blood clots." http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/bi...trol_pills.htm

From the same link: "It is also important to remember that birth control pills can deplete the following nutrients:

Vitamin B2
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Folic Acid
Vitamin C
Magnesium
Zinc"

"Thromboembolism (blood clots): Women who use estrogen-containing birth control pills are at a 3- to 6-fold increased risk of developing blood clots. Blood clots may lead to deep vein thrombosis, heart attack, or stroke. Additional causes of blood clots include advanced age, obesity, family history, recent surgery, and pregnancy. Low-dose (less than 50 mcg of ethinyl estradiol) oral contraceptives pose less risk than older, higher-dose formulations. Cigarette smoking increases the risk of blood clots in women using combination contraceptives, particularly for women older than 35 years and those who smoke more than 15 cigarettes per day." http://www.emedicinehealth.com

Here are some facts:

- I do not smoke, nor have I ever smoked.
- I took birth control for 10 years before getting a blood clot.
- I had been taking Seasonal for the past 2 years prior to getting this blood clot.
- I was 26 at the time of the blood clot.

- HOWEVER, my bloodwork came back with one factor that may increase blood clotting. I tested positive for heterozygote (meaning one mutated gene) factor five leiden. This gene mutation is most common in those of Northern European decent. Factor V Leiden is the most common hereditary blood coagualtion disorder in the United States. It is present in 5% of the Caucasian population and 1.2% of the African American population. It is rare among hispanics and asians. You can be tested to see if you are positive for Factor V Leiden, but be forewarned that some insurance companies may not insure you if you come back positive for it. I should also point out that both of my parents have Heterozygote Factor V Leiden. Neither of them have ever experienced a blood cloth. My older sister has homozygote Factor V Leiden (both genes mutated) and has never had a blood clot. However, my older sister has never used birth control.

The following are all blood clotting disorders that when combined with birth control can increase your blood clotting changes by more than 30 fold:

Factor V Leiden
Prothrombin 20210 Mutation
Activated Protein C Resistance
Protein C & S Deficiency
Antithrombin Deficiency

I think what I want to stress here is the fact that I assumed I would not need to worry about the bc blood clotting side effect. I was young and very healthy. The blood clot took me by complete surprise. Had I not rushed to the hospital that evening and allowed the bleeding on my brain to worsen, I could be dead right now. The ER doctor told me it is VERY rare when someone comes in with bleeding on their brain and they're not a vegetable.

I, obviously, am not allowed to take birth control ever again. Because I have clotted in the past, if I get pregnant I must take shots of Lovenox (a blood thinner) twice daily to my stomach. But, I am happy and lucky to be alive!

I was finally taken off of the blood thinner coumadin this week after beign told that my clot is finally completely gone. Yay!

Please be aware that the side effects of birth control are very real. And, they are much more common than you would like to believe. I found a support group for those suffering from blood clots here online and 85% of us that post there are young females that were on birth control at the time. I just wanted to pass on the information I know to the rest of you. May you never need it.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Have seen this in the OB unit I work on as it is not uncommon. (Leiden Factor V) I wondered why more women are not tested for it, but I can see now why you wouldn't want your insurance company to know the results. I have read that anyone who experiences a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) should be tested for this as it is commonly found in these people. I also read that the newsman who died in Iraq from a pulmonary embolism a few years ago had Leiden Factor V but did not know it. His clot was most likely caused from immobility in the cramped military vehicles he was riding in & dehydration. It also can occur after long flights or after surgery. That's one reason you're advised to get up and get moving soon after surgery. Taking aspirin daily may be advised in some people not on other anticoagulants.
Definitely scary stuff.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Wow, thank you for the info! I am going to be looking into the BC pills I take... I'm 36 and have been on them off and on since my 20s. Right now they are just keeping my skin clear, and my period away, but who knows what else?

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 01-17-2008 at 10:15 PM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

I have long felt that we are much to flippant about bcp & especially prescribing them so quickly & without thought to young girls.

I'm so glad that you are ok now. Clots can be terribly dangerous.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i'm about to go for my annual exam...and do to some recent posts here..i'm going to talk to him about getting off bcp and possibly doing a iud. thanks for the post its good to know all the sides of the story.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey,
I just want to add that i had problems on birth control too.
I took Yasmin for 5 years. And the side effects did not present themselves right away. Maybe after a year or 2 of starting them, in retrospect i realize that it was side effects of the pills.

Some of what i experienced was heart palpitations, a constant 'popping' in my ears, increased yeast infections, overall feeling of apathy, depression, constant nervousness and anxiety, irritability and feelings of paranoia when interacting with people. And hair loss, i would say i've lost about half of my hair, it is so thin now.

the scary thing is that if you bring it up to your obgyn, they will probably tell you it is not related, that you need psychological help or mood altering drugs or will offer to switch you to another pill.

I didn't even know that these were side effects until I stumbled upon a forum called yasminsurvivors.com and knew that the side effects i had were too specific to what other women were describing to be coincidence.
I quit the pill about a month after finding the site, and the change in my behavior and the way i felt after a month of not being on the pill was like night and day. Along with the 'popping' in my ear that had been persistant for about 2-3 years, it was completely gone after about a month.

I agree, birth control is passed out way too casually in our society. It is scary how it is so normal for women and young girls to be on these artificial hormones.

The

Last edited by kaebea; 01-19-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added in a symptom. clarification
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #7  

kaebea -

Yasmin seems to be an especially dirty little pill. On my blood clot support website MANY of the young women with blood clots were taking Yasmin. There were only two of us taking Seasonal. There were quite a few other various BC pills being taken, but Yasmin was at the top of the list.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

thanks Amberelise,
I would be interested to see that website, if you have an address for it?
thanks,
kb
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Thank you so much for the info. I am so glad that you went to the hospital right away and that you are ok!

I was on bcp both for bc and to regulate bleeding from fibroids for a long time. I got rid of both the fibroids and the boyfriend and I decided to stop taking the pill. I then went back on it because I wanted to take Seasonalle and skip my periods (even without the fibroids I bleed pretty heavily). The weird thing I discovered when going on and off the pill is that is completely destroys my sex drive. I didn't know this was a side effect until I realized it and started doing some research. Of course this is in no way comparable to a health threat such as blood clots, but I just find it so ironic that it does that to me.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
...The weird thing I discovered when going on and off the pill is that is completely destroys my sex drive. I didn't know this was a side effect until I realized it and started doing some research. Of course this is in no way comparable to a health threat such as blood clots, but I just find it so ironic that it does that to me.
It affects me the same bizarre way. Ah yes, the irony!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i was actually annoyed when i went for my annual exam and saw the RN. I asked her about bcp and my concern with them and being curious about an iud. the RN's comment was "if you would of had a problem with a clot you would have had an issue already...there's nothing to worry about" she was very flippant about it...but she did say i could get an iud if i wanted. However, i think i might look for a new health professional. I wasn't impressed that she sort of blew off my concerns. Especially since i'm nearing the 35 yr mark and of european discent...I understand she was sort of making the comparison that since i'm planning to have kids in 2-3 yrs...that it might not be worth the cost of an iud...but i was a bit annoyed that she just brushed off my concerns and said there's no reason for concern??????? i guess its definately time to find a new health professional.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
...the RN's comment was "if you would of had a problem with a clot you would have had an issue already...there's nothing to worry about" she was very flippant about it...but she did say i could get an iud if i wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberelise View Post
...Here are some facts:

- I do not smoke, nor have I ever smoked.
- I took birth control for 10 years before getting a blood clot.
- I had been taking Seasonal for the past 2 years prior to getting this blood clot.
- I was 26 at the time of the blood clot.
Gatorgal, I agree! Amber was on BC pills for 10 years before getting the clot, though maybe it was the Seasonal brand that really created it... I think you're smart to consider other non-hormonal BC methods, and for reconsidering your RN. Birth control pills can certainly be risky, the longer we take them. I'm not a smoker but I am planning to go off them at my current age of 36, after starting them at age 18. I haven't been on them all that time, but still... why take something if you don't feel you must, right?

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #13  

kaebea -

I wasn't sure if I could post the website here or not, but it's dailystrength.org. I'm a member of the Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) group.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #14  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

It really is quite scary....I never really thought about it at first. My gyno put me on it when I was 16 to help correct my extremely irregular period and I didn't know the risks..You should be able to trust your doctor right?

Well, now I am a smoker so of course I eventually looked into the side effects. I got so paranoid I have quit taking them...My period has become painful and irregular again...But..Is birth control really the answer for whatever causes my periods to be this way, or just an easy solution to mask symptoms of a real problem? PLUS, last year my BC scrip was switched to Desogen..which is one of the worst!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I was on Desogen for 3 years and it helped me regain control of my health (pcos, obesity- fairly big issues). It eventually did start causing problems (irregularity and imbalances- no major health issue) and I was switched to NuvaRing (which I LOVE), but it served a huge purpose for me.

It goes to show that where bcp is concerned, you can't count on one reaction to the next. My doctor weighed the risks of a pill like Desogen with my health problems and acted accordingly. She turned out to be correct. I also know doctors tend to lump bcp all into the same category of risks, when that isn't always the case (expecially when people handle the pill so differently).

It's a tricky thing. Do we offer a fairly reliable method for women to take control of their fertility and for many other women their health or do we pull them because of a small percentage (in comparison) of medical catastrophes? Also, studies have pointed to the fact that as the child-bearing age of women rises, so do the cases of certain cancers. Just the other day there was a study that showed that the benefits of the bcp lasted several years after women stopped taking them.

There are very significant risks to taking the pill, I definitely agree. I have had them pounded into my head by doctors AND the media as well as on the packaging itself. But it's a choice that ultimately I have to make- not my doctor.

Amberliese, thank you for reminding us though, that it isn't just a *risk*, but a reality. I'm glad you are on your way to getting well!

Last edited by junebug41; 01-26-2008 at 10:02 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote