General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default Getting more fun out of life....

One of my New Years resolutions is to get more fun out of life. Find things to do that does not involve food, maybe even a little active that is fun and can become a hobby. The problem is my diet and career has been my obsession for so long I don't know what to do with myself....

So my question is this...what does everyone do for fun? What is your hobby?

thanks!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Dancing, walking, writing and reading could be your hobby. 2 are body-related and 2 are brain related. I don't do these as often as I'd like but they are good hobbies.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I'm not a hobby person, but I love to visit Museums! They're good walking activities and I always learn something interesting... like the History Channel or Discovery Channel with my own two feet as the remote

I also enjoy going to the library and searching out books in sections/genres I've never explored before.

I also think a great manicure/pedicure is a fabulous reward for a job done well, whether dieting or career-wise. It takes up evening time I might otherwsie spend in front of the TV, too!

Good luck with your goal!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #4  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Ballroom dancing! Oh, I loooove dancing. One of my goals/events this coming year is to attend the Viennese Ball in June. Right now I dance two nights a week, but I hope to get that up to three soon.

And biking! i have cycling buddies and regular cycling routes, and we're working up to two goals: Rosarita--Ensenada in April (50 miles) and a bike tour of Tuscany in the fall (~30 miles a day for 7-10 days).

I'm also training for a coming triathlon in September, so I'm running (walk/jogging ) and swimming in addition to my biking.

I don't really have any "indoor" hobbies, so I can't be much help there. I live in a place where you can spend all year round outside, so...I do! When I need to rest or just be inside I watch movies, read, or write.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love puzzles. Every morning I can't get out of the house until I've done my Sudoku and crossword from the paper. I also like to read. Now neither of those is necessarily good for the diet and exercise! So about 6 months ago, I decided to take up running. I run 3 days a week for about 30-40 minutes (about 2 miles). I take my dog and I really, really enjoy it. I have a cold right now and feel rather miserable, so I skipped yesterday's run (the first skip in 6 months). I hope I feel better tomorrow so I can go again. Running is fun (outside) because it is so peaceful (I go at 4:30 AM most times) and the benefit is getting to go shopping for cute running outfits!!! DH says I'll have to get a new closet just for my running gear LOL! (He exaggerates!) I also like to cook a lot and a hobby of mine is finding new, tasty, low fat and low calorie recipes that my family will like (that is sometimes a challenge).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

To me, fun things tend to be "new" things. So I like mini-adventures.

Maybe you could write down 50 things you'd like to try...canoeing, rock climbing, knitting, WHATEVER...and put them all in a jar? You can pick one every weekend, and every week can be an adventure! For example, mine would be things like "Roadtrip to Monterey Bay Aquarium", "Canoe in Putah Creek", "Visit the local rock-climbing wall", "Go to the roller rink", etc. Draw one out when you have a day free and GO!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

First of all, I love to read.... there are so many absolutely great books out there! I love to go to concerts - I'd go to 2 a week if I could! I enjoy cross-stitching, crafts, etc. I'd like to pick up the piano again.... do you have any musical background that you could pick up on?
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #8  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Hmm yesterday we went to go sledding with the kids (I got the bumps and bruises on my legs to prove it LOL) then went to go see a move (shared popcorn between us - hey you can't see a movie without popcorn).

We all had a blast
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I love to get out and walk and/or run now. It's harder now in the winter because I have a toddler who gets sick easily to take him out in this weather. But I also discovered I love shopping...a lot. Used to hate it with a passion, standing on tired legs in aisles that closed in on my large frame, getting run over by rude people, and my knees aching. None of that seems to apply anymore. So I get in a lot of walking just browsing stores.

I can't seem to sit still much anymore. I'm always looking for a home project or something to keep busy with. Just recently got called back to work for a company I quit 10 years ago to move out of state. Now I'm back here and they were in need and called me. LOL So I'm here less, and busy more. But on the days I AM home, I still try to find small projects, go shopping, clean, dance and play with my son, and still work in my exercise. Course on Wed. through Fri., the days I work, I have to get up at 4:30 just to give myself 30 minutes on my stair stepper. Ahhhhh
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote