General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Gift when visiting out of town friends

I'm planning on visiting a friend of mine and her husband for a week in August. They recently moved out to Pheniox. I was wondering what is something nice I can do for them. I considered offering to take them out to dinner or offering to make dinner for them (they will still be working while I'm visiting) but I know they wont let me. I went to see them before they moved and they would barely let me pay for my own dinner when we went out to dinner (actually they paid several times). When I offer to take them to dinner (or pay for my own dinner) they say that I'm a poor student, they have jobs and I don't, and that I paid for my trip out there. But I know they are tight for cash too.

So I guess I'm thinking of either things for the apartment that might be nice or some other suggestion of something that I could bring with me.

Thanks for any help
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Phoenix? in AUGUST?...humm...something cool!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #3  
Addicted to potato salad!

How about having a nice picture of you all together...taking it to a one hour photo or a digital kiosk to have it printed before you leave and put it in a nice frame for her? Or one of those multi picture frames and have different pics of your trip in the frame?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Phoenix? in AUGUST?...humm...something cool!
Yeah...and a bucket of ice with a fan! And scorpion repellant!! I hear they're so big they break into cars down there!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Since they are new to Phoenix, maybe something to help them explore the area. For example, a gift certificate to something in Phoenix (tickets to a local sports team, music venue, theatre, symphony, etc). I'm sure you could reseach what is available and buy the gift certificate online. Another thought might be a guide to Phoenix, if they don't have one yet. If they like to hike, you could get them a guide to hikes in the area. You could get either of these from Amazon.com.

Or you could go the opposite and bring them something special from Detroit. I don't have any ideas here because I'm not from Detroit, but if there's some product that you can only get in Detroit, that might make a nice gift (especially if they are from Detroit and there's something they miss about the area).

Gift certificates for home stores (Ikea, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc.) also always make nice housewarming presents. Wine is the standard housewarming present. If they don't like wine but are into gourmet foods, an expensive bottle of balsamic vinegar makes a nice gift.

The picture is also a great idea and doesn't have be done while you are there. You could have the picture(s) developed after you get home and then send the framed (or scrapbooked) photos to them with a nice thank-you note. There are online film developing servings (snapfish.com is one) that let you organize the pictures into an actual book--with captions and everything.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I know Pheniox in August is 120 degrees. But I'm a full time student and that is when I'm off school. I can handle heat so I'm not worried.

They aren't actually from Detroit they are from IL, we met as undergrads.

I really like the ideas of the visitor guide and of taking photos there and putting them into a book online. I didn't take photos last time I was there (well we didn't do that much) so I have to take them this time. I was thinking about a nice bottle of wine but I'm afraid of it breaking on the plane ride. I also considered when I'm there walking to the nearest store and finding a bottle but I'm not sure how far they are.

Thanks!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

A friend and I will often visit her parents and they insist on buying everything while we are there...(they are on a retirement budget) well, while visiting, we will listen out for something they are wanting to buy and before we leave, we'll go buy it and just leave it where they'll find it... once it's there, they can't refuse it! We've also been known to leave a gift card for a store in the area. They are volunteers at campgrounds and move a lot...they have a camper but we generally take our tent too... one time, they had bought themselves a tent and had it up for us... told us to leave it up... well, we surprised them by leaving them a couple of new sleeping bags in it that they were wanting....

the picture is a great idea too!

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote