General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default what "food" things do you argue about...

what "food" things do you argur about with other people? be it family - friends - co-workers, etc...?

I ask because we talk all the time here at the office about healthy eating. And one of the girls here (who is a plus-size girl)...is ALWAYS saying, "well, on MY diet, i can eat whatever i want as long as there's no trans-fats. i just have to stay away from trans-fats. i can eat as much "healthy" fats as i want. avacados. nuts. olive oil. etc. it's healthy fat and there's no saturated or trans fats."

And of course, I pipe in telling her, "yes, you CAN have good fats - in fact you NEED the "healthy" fats...however it IS all about portioning. it's NOT healthy to eat a huge bowl of nuts or a huge bowl of guacamole."

course, she responds - "oh i can have an entire bowl of guacamole for dinner as long as i portion the chips."

really, truth be told, no matter WHAT type of diet plan you are on - it is all about portioning. NOT eating HUGE portions of ANYTHING. and she just will not listen.

then - earlier she said, "well, i ate a breakfast sandwich this morning...i may as well go blow the rest of the day". and i piped up again, "ok, after what we were just talking about - think of it this way, - you have 4 tires - 1 blows, do you go shoot out the other 3?" her answer was, "well, sometimes you need to replace all 4".

AND of course she's ALWAYS telling everyone HER opinion on healthy eating, because she knows best.

ugh!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My FIL absolutely, positively will NOT eat whole wheat. He has always had white bread and states wheat tastes bad. He makes fun of me because I have always eaten wheat and now I make sure it is 100% ww. I have switched to ww pasta as well. He makes fun of what we eat (he works part time for DH and me) when we have lunch. He says his banana is whole wheat and stuff like that. I know he's just joking but it makes me so mad. My MIL is trying to lose weight and eat healthy stuff and he just won't go for it so she has to buy icky stuff to appease him. He's so darn opinionated about that and a lot of other things, too. Thankfully I've realized that I can play the game, too and so I give him just as much crap about his bad eating habits as he does for my good eating habits!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

i work with a girl like that, but it's everything, not just the dieting. no matter what you're talking about - something bigger, better or worse has happened to her. Some people are so irritating.

The proof will come when she loses no weight and has a heart attack from all the fat she's eating.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

my mom...she insists that the only way she can lose weight is 1/2 grapefuit for breakfast, tiny portion of ygurt or cottage cheese with 1/2 apple or pear for lunch, then she uses all of her remaining ww points at dinner...just gorges

and it works for a month or 2 and then her metabolism rebels and she gains twice as much back.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't argue with anyone, I really see no point. They can eat how they want to eat and I'll eat how I want to eat. My ILs don't eat very many veggies but they will if I cook for them. My ILs also like to eat liberal amounts of vegetable spread (margarine like stuff). It is their choice and I can't make it for them.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I don't argue with anyone, I really see no point. They can eat how they want to eat and I'll eat how I want to eat. My ILs don't eat very many veggies but they will if I cook for them. My ILs also like to eat liberal amounts of vegetable spread (margarine like stuff). It is their choice and I can't make it for them.
Oh my gosh! Sometimes when we all get together for dinner at grandma's, I'll help her in the kitchen preparing the food for everyone. And one day I asked her if she'd like me to mash the potatoes for her. She said "sure", so I dumped the water out and had the pot of potatoes sitting in the sink and went and grabbed the milk so I could mash them up with the hand beater. I salt & peppered them, added some milk, and started mashing away.

She comes over and says, "Did you put any butter in it?"

I said, "No, haven't added any butter, I figured everyone could just add it themselves once they get a serving."

"No no no, I always put butter in it."

Fine, I wasn't going to argue with her, it's her house, her meal, let her put the butter in the dang potatoes.

So I figured she'd drop two or three pats in there for me to mix up with it. No, she opens a stick of butter and drops the whole thing down into the potatoes. I was thinking EEEEEEEEEEK! and said, "Grandma, you don't need that much butter. Everybody can put it on themselves."

She said nothing and walked away. When she wasn't looking, I pulled the stick of butter out and cut off maybe only 1/4 of it and put the 1/4 stick of butter back into the potatoes and tossed out the rest, LOL. I stuck it down in the trash so she wouldn't see that I'd pulled the butter back out.

But for the most part, I don't 'argue' food with anyone. I agree with nelie, let them eat the way they want to eat. Nobody nags me about my eating habits, so I'm not going to nag them.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Any diet issue in general ~ with my husband. He had gained some weight, then his dr put him on a diet ~ he (just the kind of person he is) of course was successful and got the weight off and has kept it off for several years now. But he is intolerable. He says that if I would just do what he did that I could solve my weight problem. He was on a 1000 calorie diet. The most aggravating thing with him though, is that he never,never messes up. For me this has to be a lifestyle change ~ something I can do for the rest of my life. To think that I will never have another cookie or candy bar is just unrealistic. I wish I could show him that it is possible to have these things occasionally and still lose weight. Problem is I haven't figured out how do do this yet. He has a "one diet fits all" mind set. Trying to explain to him that I am not him, I am a woman, he is a man ~ duhhhh ~ we are two totally different people ~ is like ramming my head into a brick wall. GRrrrrrrrrrr. Probably part of the problem is that he has watched me try and fail so many times over the years ~ he must think I am just nuts.

Sorry ~ Thank you for letting me vent.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

lol LLV- that sounds like my mom's new partner. They were here visiting in February for the first time and I had to go to physical therapy so they picked dd up from school and gave her lunch. I told them to make grilled cheese for her.

I came home and they had grilled cheese for all 3 of them. And to make 3 grilled cheese sandwiches they used almost an entire stick of butter! ACK.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Just about everything at first. boobalah does most of the cooking. We try and menu plan for the week because we both work outside the home.

He doesn't like rice unless it is flavored. I don't mind flavored rice but there is just so much sodium in it. I don't have a BP problem but I've tried to explain to him that too much sodium makes me retain water. I've started making brown rice for me whenever we have something that can use that as a side dish. He can make is fried potatoes. I don't care.

Speaking of potatoes. He has FINALLY stopped being upset with me because I don't always want fries. I've been telling him for years that I don't care for raw fries anymore. I don't want more than 1 or 2 fries anyway, so why have them?

Red meat! My Lent challenge for myself was to avoid eating anything that moved on 4 legs. Last year was beef and I did pretty well. Let me tell you that this year was a HUGE challenge. After last years challenge, I decided to keep red meat to a minimum in my diet. He was upset because I didn't want it in some shape or form 3 or 4 times a week. I told him that we should have 2 nights a week where we cook for ourselves and eat what we want. He embraced that for a while. Now he's back to complaining about not having it. I told him he could have it. It doesn't bother me to make myself a green salad with shrimp for dinner. He doesn't like shrimp. What's the problem? I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Butter! He just can't wrap his head around the fact that if he makes a sauce that is butter or heavy milk/cream ridden, I probably won't eat it. If I do have some, it's very little. I think I'm going to have to resort to just letting out the tears I hold back because of this sabbotage. Maybe he'll understand then! If I make something and use Smart Balance in it, he complains that it isn't rich enough.

Geez, people wonder why I want a divorce.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

glynne - i have the same problem w/ my husband. he'll take me out to eat and then get upset if i want something HE doesn't think I should want. Puh! He basically did the same thing, restricted his caloric intake to a dangerous level, lost a ton of weight, and then gave me a hard time for not losing as fast as him. Sometimes I swear I just want to eat stuff I shouldn't just to piss him off... I know that's not helpful but seriously - it's going into my body not his. If he's trying to look out for me, he's doing it in a combative way.
Closed Thread