General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Do you observe Lent?

We didn't do it in our church when I was growing up. However, last year, I decided to observe it. I gave up beef. This year, I'm giving up all meat except poultry and seafood.

If you observe it, what do you do?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #2  

On Friday's during lent we only eat fish. No meat or poultry.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

yeah I've always heard giving up red meat during every Friday in lent. never every day @_@.. I think it would be great though. I couldn't do it. ^_^
Old 01-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

In our church we believe that Lent is a season for meditating upon the suffering and death of Christ. We remember and learn anew the love of God and His blessing of forgiveness and victory over our sins and shortcomings. Lent is not a time of fasting or giving up certain sins. If it is wrong on 4th of July or Labor day it is also wrong on Ash Wednesday or Good friday. HOWEVER if giving up certain foods or actions cause one to draw closer to the Lord then let him do it, for this is good, as long as it is done for Christ's victory and not our own glory.

Personally, I have never given up anything for Lent. We do try to attend the mid week Lenten services at our church. I also take time to reflect on this most important season of the church.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #5  
Wife of one- mom of many!

S/C/G: 254/237/175

Height: 5'6"

We observe Lent by giving up meat on Friday. At first (I married into a Catholic family) it was hard. You know, giving something up only puts emphasis on that item. We did and have adjusted. We will do peanut butter sandwiches or tuna fish sandwiches, tomato or vegetable soup and grilled cheese. For dinner we usually cook tuna, mahi-mahi or make a vegetarian pizza. Spinach alfredo is a good one that we found. Rachel Ray made a meal that was called not-lasagna that was all veggies, pasta and a rich cream sauce... I am excited to try it! Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #6  

We also give up meat on the holy days and fridays during lent. However, at least at my house, we don't give up anything -- I've actually worked with my kids to try to "add" something. We try to be more generous during lent -- visiting nursing homes, VA hospitals, making donations to shelters, etc. I think this is much more important than whether or not I've stuck to my "give up ice cream, gum, etc." pact and teaches my children about our religion as it relates to the people around us.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm not religious but I've recently been giving up stuff for lent - it probably harks back to my mother making me give up chocolate for lent so that I'd appreciate the eggs even more

Last year I cake(freudian slip) gave up diet coke for lent and was successful, and it made me realise how much I didn't miss it/didn't want it. I've also given up fries for lent before and lasted 2 weeks! Unfortunately I worked in an environment where people ate fries every night!

So with regards to the holy aspect of it, I don't observe that, but I do use the period as a time to challenge some of my tastes and aspects of my life. I think this year I might give up shopping or something! I gave up diet coke at New Year and I don't eat fries any more and I don't really have any huge weaknesses that are standing in my way apart from the money front, so maybe recreational shopping is going for the chop this lent!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sakai, my grandparents never eat red meat on Fridays, it isn't a lent thing but a personal choice thing. My mom also said when she was young, it was the same thing in that they weren't allowed to eat red meat on fridays.

I don't observe lent though but sometimes I think about giving up something for various periods of time. I really think it is more of a thing like frus said where you learn to appreciate things.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Thanks for the input everyone

I understand the no red meat on Friday's thing. However, I think I want to do it again and add all meat to it for me. I have to say, it was hard last year. Most especially with my DH who did not want to partake in it. I told him he didn't have to. I didn't mind fixing something else for myself if he wanted a steak. Being the typical little boy, he kept having fits! I told him that I would not tolerate any tantrums from him this year. We would be fixing separate dinners unless he wished to share mine and that would be the end of the discussions.

It does stretch my will power. However, so does changing my eating habits. I look at it as more of a time to have more of my one-on-ones with God. Trust me, there are quite a bit more of those lately.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #10  
Bikini Season :)

when does it actually start?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday (this year Feb 21 to April 8)
Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #12  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

i gave up potato chips last year. it was sooooo hard, but i did it.

this year, i'm not sure.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #13  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I grew up very strictly Catholic. I used to love lenten Fridays because it was the only escape from my mother's overcooked meat blobs that could be used as hockey pucks. I have grown away from the tradition but I would like to observe it again this year. I very rarely eat meat at all anymore, but I like the idea of a semi-fast perhaps on Fridays.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks bare, for bringing this important subject up which has made me reflect on what I should give up for Lent! Giving something up for Lent should be something that you will miss, nothing too easy... Maybe I should give up wine?

When I was a kid, there was never any meat eaten on Friday, my mom would cook fish sticks every single Friday with oven fries... THAT was a real sacrifice! NOT! Ah, the memories , they are all good...
Old 01-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #15  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

a p.s. to my earlier post on this thread - I agree with Gary about if something is wrong one day it is wrong any day. The reason that fasting or giving something up appeals to me is that I feel that our culture is so hyper-consuming, not just with food but hyper-consumerism in general with stuff. I think it would be healthy and more spiritual (as in less material) to make a conscious effort to consume less. Anyway, I like it. If God likes it too - that would be a bonus.
Closed Thread