Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #1  

Default What's the Differnce Between Sugar Busters and the GI Diet?

I just recently bought the GI Diet books by Rick Gallop. From what I read they sound pretty much the same. I think Mr. Gallop might be a little stricter (he advocates waiting with the sweet potatoes until you are at your goal). Basically half your plate should be low GI veggies, a quarter a low GI starch and a quarter your meat, avoiding fats as much as possible.
So, can I use the SB recipes on the GI Diet? And what is the magic GI number to be considered "low"?
-Michele
garybearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #2  

Hi there! Yes, you can use Sugarbusters recipes for the GI diet. On Sugarbusters, they recommend you chose low GI foods, but there is no 'magic number' to stay under. The guidelines of avoiding white flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, corn, watermelon and pineapple seems to sum it up easily, so there is no need to obsess over numbers. That is why I like the plan so much...I am not having to figure a lot of things, I can just use common sense and avoid things that are not allowed. Also, I am diabetic, and I find somethings effect my blood sugar more than others...for instance, flour - even whole wheat- makes mine spike, while whole grain corn has little effect on it. I have a friend that observes the opposite..flour is fine, but corn really makes his spike. I think if you follow the guidelines and avoid the 'common' high GI foods that are not allowed on Sugarbusters, you will do well.

Come join us over on the support thread if you like...we would love to have you and if you have questions you will find the group is helpful.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote