Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #1  
Fat-be-gone

Default Generic brand vs. name brand?

Do you guys think there really is a difference in taste between the generic brand and the name brand? I know for some stuff the taste really is different (generic brand processed cheese tastes horrible compared to Kraft), but in your opinion is it that much different.

The Kroger brand cottage cheese is on sale this week and I am hesitant to buy it as I always buy Borden. So I just wanted to know all of your opinions on this.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It depends from store to store, but Kroger brand stuff is great. Most generic and store brands are now made by the brand name manufacturers. Kroger mayonaise, I know used to taste exactly the same as Hellman's, and I think even noted it was made by Best Foods (Hellman's).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Aldi stuff is great too, and really cheap.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

It depends on which generics. If you're not sure, compare the ingredient label with the name brand and see if they're the same.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario View Post
Do you guys think there really is a difference in taste between the generic brand and the name brand?
Yes. In SOME things, but not all. There are some products I buy that it doesn't matter what brand it is, just whatever is on sale. Other products HAVE to be a specific brand.

As far as Kroger cottage cheese goes, I like it. I buy it all the time
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I can only think of two things that I always want name brand, otherwise I always buy the store brand. Store brand is either, Shur-fine, Kroger, or a Wal-Mart Great Value brand. The two things that I like name brand better is breakfast pork sausage (don't have this very often anymore) and dill pickles. Dairy products - I always buy the store brand unless there is a difference in ingredient and/or calorie count.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm definitely a store brand/generic girl. I was raised this way. My mother would never spend extra "just for the name." I can tell the difference in a few things here and there (I will buy name brand if there is no alternative or if it is on sale)--for example, before I switched to natural peanut butter, I would only eat reduced-fat Skippy, but I would just stock up when it was on sale. For the most part, for me, the difference is so subtle that I still buy the generic since I'm cheap Another example: I know I'll have to shake my generic ketchup bottle more because the liquid separates faster, but to save a few bucks, I'm willing to do a little extra shaking
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote