Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #1  

Default The Gift of Dead Cow

A couple of weeks ago, my husband told me we have to buy a freezer because his parents are giving us a bunch of beef. I asked what he meant by "a bunch" and he replied by saying two hundred or so pounds. Calf slaughtering season is here, and he and all his siblings were getting a piece of the action.

So, last week, our new freezer arrived. The dead cow showed up a couple of hours later. We got I would guess 250 to 300 pounds of frozen beef, completely filling our freezer. I have more meat than the the local Shnucks puts out in their display case! Of course, this happened to be the day that the killer storm blew through St. Louis and then south to where we are. We were lucky; we only lost power for 12 hours. The beef came frozen from the slaughterhouse, and it didn't thaw much during that time.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I generally don't eat that much meat, maybe a pound two over the course of a week. Now I've got so much hamburger, cube steak, sirloin tip roast, chuck, tongue, liver, and God knows what else, that I don't have any concrete plans for. I generally do cook a couple of meat heavy meals during the weekend, but it's going to take a long time to make a dent in the amount of dead cow we have. I love my in-laws and appreciate their generosity, don't get me wrong. I just have to find a way to incorporate all of this into my new way of life.

First time ever I wished that the idea of doing low carb appealed to me! So, what would you all do if you suddenly found yourself with The Gift of Dead Cow?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am doing low-carb, so I would eat it. We usually buy ours by half a cow at a time and my brother buys the other half. We actually go through it pretty quick. Good luck with using it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:10 AM   #3  
hara hachi bu

I cook beef maybe once or twice a week, usually in one of the following forms: a steak with a potato and a vegetable, meatballs and spaghetti, strips of steak done fajita-style with peppers and onions, or a pot roast.

Other ideas:

You could serve beef to guests whenever they come over.
You could take beef dishes to pot lucks.
Maybe you could even give some of it away.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Entertain other guests!!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
You could serve beef to guests whenever they come over.
You could take beef dishes to pot lucks.
Maybe you could even give some of it away.
I like all of these ideas. Comments for each:

1. You could serve beef to guests whenever they come over. We don't eat a lot of beef but when guests come over they expect meat. Since it is still summer you could host a large bbq!

2. You could take beef dishes to pot lucks. Nothing like having extra ingredients for dishes to share especially when it didn't cost much or anything.

3. Maybe you could even give some of it away. An extra freezer is a wonderful thing. I rely on mine so much so I wouldn't want it too full of meat. I need room for other stuff.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Regift! Whenever we get beef, I send some to college with the kids, send some with my family members and friends who visit. Besides that ... I love having protein in the freezer. All you have to buy for groceries is veggies, whole grains .... the bills get much smaller.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #7  

I would give it to a local food bank or someone who can use it. I am not a big fan of meat all the time, but I am sure there are places that could use it.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 PM   #8