Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #1  

Question Fruit question

I real an article a while ago saying that you should not eat fruit by itself. You should have a little fat or something else with it. Is this true and if so why? Thanks
Queen of the Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, which means they combine with fats in the intestine for absorption into the body. However, I don’t know that you would have to eat some fat right along side any food containing these vitamins. It seems to me they could easily “catch-up” to some fat already in the intestine since fats move more slowly in the digestion process.

Hope that helps.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #3  

If I want to stay full, I eat something with my fruit (apple slices with a bit of nut butter are a good example). I also like fruit as a desert after dinner--sliced oranges or thawed pineapple slices. Macrobiotic people would say don't eat tropical fruit unless you live in the tropics--eat what grows near you. OTOH, I am trying to increase my fresh fruits/veggies so I eat what I like.

I generally don't worry about food combining at all.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #4  

I've been told to eat fat or protein with the fruit because it won't give such a blood sugar spike when you eat it. When you eat sugar it spikes your sugar high and then you drop but if you eat protein and/or fat it will not cause such a spike in blood sugar.

AmberM
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #5  
LLV

I've read something similar, that it's really not a good idea to eat salad with completely fat-free dressing because the fat in the salad dressing is what helps you absorb the nutrients from the salad itself.

Whatever the case, I can't stand fat-free dressings anyway. I like the light dressings, but not totally fat-free.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #6  

Thanks for your replies. I had never heard of having to add a little fat to your salad either, I just use Balsamic vineagar. I'll start adding a little olive oil.
Queen of the Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote