Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Chicken help....search...soemthing along those lines

Hey!

I have sort of a weird question. I wanted to make some kind of chicken for dinner. But I wanted to make something with a crunchy outside (if that makes sense) like fried chicken, but not. Not something with a heavy batter, but somethig that would have a nice crunch...I was planning on cutting the chicken into slices to cook it if that helps narrow it down more.

Like you need that...I'm so picky...but I've had this odd craving for 3 days. I could go home and try a few things, but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!

Vanessa
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #2  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Shake 'n Bake is one of my favorites.

If you like spicy, I came up with a really great way of making chicken a few days ago.

Preheat oven to 400F

Cut the chicken into chunks and put in a plastic bag with your favorite hot sauce. Just enough to really coat the chicken. I normally put the chicken back in the fridge for an hour so that the hot sauce really soaks in, but that's just optional. Take some seasoned breadcrumbs (just enough to coat) and coat the chicken in them.

Place chicken on a heavily greased (I use a no-calorie cooking spray) shallow baking dish and pop in the oven for about 10 minutes. Flip, cook for another 10 minutes. Then just eat and enjoy!
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #3  

unfried chicken!! The secret to the success of this recipe is to make sure that both the chicken and yogurt are very cold(hence, soaking the chicken in the ice water). The preliminary soaking will help the breading adhere and produce a crisp coating much like that of fried chicken.

preheat oven to 400 degrees

vegetableoil cooking spray
6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed.
3 whole chicken breasts, halved and skined.
3 1/2 cups ice water
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt

fro the breading:
1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
dash cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

COat a baking tray with 3 sprays of the vegetable oil.
Put the chicken in a large bowl with the ice water. Put the yogurt into a medium bowl. Set both bowls aside.
Toss all the ingredients inot a large, tightly sealing plastic bag. seal and shake well to mix.
Remove 2 pieces of chicken from water. Roll each piece in the yogurt, Put the chicken into the plastic bag, reseal, and shake to coat thoroughly. Transfer the breaded chicken tp the prepared baking tray. Repeat the process until all chicken is breaded. Spray the chicken lightly with vegeatable oil.
Place the baking tray on thew bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour, turning the pieces every 20 minutes to allow even browning.

Makes 12 pieces
fat per breast=2.2grams
calories=185
fat per drumstick=4.2
calories=195
nicnacmd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies...they all sound great....now i just have to figure out which one to do tomorrow...this evening I cheated and opted for the spaghetti...even tho i know better!

Vanessa
Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/268/180

you could crunch up low fat potato chips and coat with that. I seen the recipe in a magazine but can't remember the details. Be creative!
alawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  

Oven-Fried Chicken with Almonds

Hey ya all I just made this today and It was Wonderful. It is in the orange cookbook on page 217. For you all who don't have the book here goes

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
pinch of ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness and cut in 12 pieces
sprig italian parsley, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 400. In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.Place the oil in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken first in the oil, then dredge in the crumb mixture. Place the chicken in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center of a piece registers 170 and the juices run clear. Do not turn the chicken during cooking. Garnish with the parsley.

I didn't have WW bread crumbs so I made my own. Just let WW bread dry out and smash it. I live in a small town in the Mo. Ozarks, and and it is very hard to find what I need for SB. Anyway Enjoy the recipe.
posted by peanut SB-diet-plan
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #7  

I've used the recipe posted by nicnacmd7 (I think it is from one of the Oprah cookbooks) and it is good. My favorite though, is Baked Onion Chicken (don't worry if you aren't a fan of onions, it doesn't have a very oniony taste):

1 pouch of onion soup mix
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/8 t. pepper
1 egg or 2 egg whites
2 T. water
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 T. margarine melted (optional)

Use a rolling pin to crush the soup mix in the pouch then combine with the crumbs and pepper. Beat together egg and water. Dip chicken into egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture. Arrange chicken on a backing sheet, drizzle with margarine and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

It is soooo, good and EASY!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #8  

lucky...that DOES sound good. Thanks!