Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Lean Pockets Breakfast Pockets

I normally stay away from the Lean Pockets because calorie-wise, they're not all that 'lean' to me. 250 calories for one of them? And it's not going to fill me up. So I don't usually waste my money buying them. And I've always passed up the Breakfast Pockets as well, assuming they had just as many calories. But today while I had my face stuck into the frozen breakfast foods I thought what the heck and picked up the box of the sausage, egg and cheese and looked at the nutrition information. I was surprised to learn that one pocket has only 150 calories and only 2 grams of saturated fat.

I thought well hey, that's pretty cool, it'll give me something quick to grab in the morning, since my mornings are pretty crazy (a child to get ready for school, two Dachshund's staring at me wanting out and then wanting food, four birds screaming to get out of their cages, plus having to do all of this around my husband, who is also up getting ready for work) I don't have a lot of time to expend on figuring out what to eat.

Just thought I'd pass that along
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #2  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the info!

I feel the same way about the lean pockets---not too lean for 250 calories!

How do you like the breakfast ones?
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse
Thanks for the info!

I feel the same way about the lean pockets---not too lean for 250 calories!

How do you like the breakfast ones?
Haven't had one yet

When I do I'll post to let you all know how they tasted. Probably within the next couple of days, as tomorrow I'm going to steal some of my husband's Kashi Go Lean Crunch, that stuff is really good
Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #4  

I've had them.. they taste okay to me, but be forewarned... they are TINY!! Not nearly as big as the regular ones. I would eat two of the breakfast ones at a time. For my plan of 1500 calories, 300 calories for breakfast was fine, but nutrionally I wasn't somerthing better so I make my own breakfast egg things now.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #5  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I like the breakfast lean pockets when I need something quick. I agree with LindaT though--they are small, and I usually eat 2 for breakfast. But a 300-calorie breakfast fits into my 1500 calorie a day plan as well, and I need a hearty breakfast to keep me going.

As for taste, they're... decent. The sausage, egg, and cheese ones are my favorite.

But I just want to say that I think a 250-calorie Lean Pocket is just fine, at least as far as calories are concerned. Lean Cuisine or any of those all have around 250 calories. Granted, a Lean Pocket isn't a ton of food, but add a salad or some fruit (which I usually do with the frozen dinners as well) and you've got a perfectly satisfying meal. Perhaps it's not as nutritionally sound, but if you're hankering for a big cheesy pizza, chicken and rice can't quite cut it, but the pizza Lean Pockets do nicely.

Just my two cents.

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I wonder if home made ones would be better nutrionally? Any one have a recipe to share?

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
I've had them.. they taste okay to me, but be forewarned... they are TINY!!
That's okay, I don't eat much for breakfast anyway.

We buy these things called mini omelets from Market Day (a school-related thing) and it's just one small omelet, maybe about the size of a folded peanut butter sandwich on small-sized bread, and those are just fine for me. In fact, I just got up and opened the breakfast pocket box and looked at them and the mini omelets are just a tad smaller. I'll have one mini omelet (they're great and only 60 calories each) and a glass of low sugar chocolate milk. That's what I had this morning
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
But I just want to say that I think a 250-calorie Lean Pocket is just fine, at least as far as calories are concerned. Lean Cuisine or any of those all have around 250 calories. Granted, a Lean Pocket isn't a ton of food, but add a salad or some fruit (which I usually do with the frozen dinners as well) and you've got a perfectly satisfying meal.
Hey, that's a good idea.

I do the same thing with the frozen dinners. Not with my Lean Cuisines, usually. But I also buy the Michelina's Lean Gourmet and to those I'll usually add a vegetable. I like the stuffed cheese rigatoni and with that one I add a salad. And I also like the salisbury steak and mashed potatoes and to that one I add a veggie. There's also another one that's pretty good, the glazed chicken. It's kind of like a stir-fry, with chicken, rice and vegetables and usually with that one I have one of my lowfat egg rolls.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
I wonder if home made ones would be better nutrionally? Any one have a recipe to share?

Sarah
I'm sure they'd definitely be better nutrionally, but I don't know of any recipes for something like that.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu

Sarah
Well I have my Linda McMuffin, which is on my web site in my profile here. It's closer to one of those sndwiches from the Golden Arches, hence it's name though.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #11  
LLV

Had one this morning. Pretty yummy!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

This is more calories, and it's a burrito not a pocket, but:

Heat a pan, and spray it with olive oil cooking spray. Sautee some diced onion, green pepper, and garlic. (About 30 calories). Add 1/3 cup egg beaters (about 40 calories). Put on a La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla (60 calories). Top with a 2% slice of Kraft pepper jack cheese (50 calories) and salsa (10 calories). Roll it up, and serve.

Total calories: 190
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #13  
LLV

Oooooo, a breakfast burrito. I haven't done that in ages, I used to make breakfast burritos kinda the same way. I'd cook egg whites and one link of turkey sausage and make a sausage and egg one. Yours sounds good too