Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Sensibly Delicious Choc Chip Pie - or is it?

I was asked to make a Toll House Pie for a party tomorrow, so I was just browsing the Nestle website for the recipe. I came across a recipe for a chocolate chip pie that includes Splenda as an ingredient, and they said The "sensibly delicious" combination of SPLENDA® and NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® make this chocolate chip pie a wise dessert.
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...spx?ID=131104#

It sounded promising, right? However, if you click the nutrition information, it says each slice has 560 calories and 38 grams of fat! Plus you still have 32 grams of sugar.

I then checked the original Toll House Pie recipe and it contains 580 calories and 38 grams of fat, and only 38 grams of sugar. There's hardly any difference!

What surprised me more were all of the kudo reviews. One person actually said "I highly recommend this to everyone who wants a sweet treat without the guilt!"

I'm also bummed because it doesn't matter which recipe I choose, I'll have to stick with a small sliver. Darn, I should have never looked at the nutrition info
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #2  

Default Hmmmmm.

Well, You could sub graham cracker crumbs for the crust (sweeten that with Splenda) . I think some people also use Grape nuts or someother crunchy cereal. That would probably reduce the fat a little bit. I am not sure a way around the butter issue though because I've made this pie before and it is wonderful and no idea how to get the same consistency without so much butter. The Splenda baking mix is I think 1/2 splenda and 1/2 sugar so by using the blend you are really only leaving out 2T of sugar! The new brown sugar splenda is out or coming out soon so you could use that for the brown sugar and maybe cut back on the nuts...

Or maybe this is one of those traditional recipes you don't wanna mess with because it is so dang delicious!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:10 AM   #3  
it's always something

I just think it's crazy because they tried to make us think this was a better option, lol. If that's a better diet, I want a copy of their plan

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the new Splenda brown sugar. Here's what Cooks Illustrated had to say -

Quote:
We tested Brown Sugar Blend in three applications--chocolate chip cookies, blondies, and a streusel topping (sprinkled over a yellow cake)--tasting them side by side with versions prepared with regular brown sugar. Tasters detected a "bitter" and "soapy" aftertaste in the cookies and blondies made with Brown Sugar Blend and also found them somewhat dry. The cause of the texture problem was clear. Real sugar has moisture-retaining (or hygroscopic) properties; because the Splenda blend contains less real sugar, it retains less moisture. Where Brown Sugar Blend really failed as a substitute, though, was in the streusel topping, which simply sank into the batter instead of crunching up into a recognizable streusel. Not much of a replacement in our book--even if you do save a few calories.
Fortunately, I only bake on holidays and when I'm asked to bring something special to a family birthday dinner. We don't do cake, but we usually do have killer desserts. Luckily, there are so many of us that we only get tiny pieces .
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #4  
Losing for Life!

Suzanne,

Maybe this recipe would be a good substitute:

Chocolate Mousse Pie*

1 nine-inch pie crust, prepackaged
* 2 packages (1.4 ounces each) of sugar-free, fat-free chocolate pudding mix
* 1⅔ cups fat-free milk
* 1 container (eight ounces) fat-free whippped topping
* 2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake pie crust according to package directions. Remove from oven and cool thoroughly.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk. Fold half (four ounces) of whipped topping into the pudding mixture and fold until fully blended.

3. Spread pudding mixture into pie crust and top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.

Please note this recipe makes eight servings. 4 points per serving

Exchanges per serving:
• 1 fat
• 2 carbohydrate

Each serving provides:

Calories.........................194
Calories from fat.............54

Total fat...........................6g
Saturated fat...................2g
Cholesterol....................1mg
Total carbohydrate.........30g
Sugars............................7g
Protein.............................4g
Sodium.......................253mg
Dietary fiber....................2g

* This recipe and nutritional information are from Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking written by Rush dietitian Lara Rondinelli, RD, LDN, CDE, and is reprinted with permission from the American Diabetes Association.

Copyright © 2004 American Diabetes Association.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #5  
Losing for Life!

Here is another recipe that is only 2.5 points per serving but I am not sure if that includes the crust which appears to be seperate.

Creamy Chocolate Pie
Serves: 8
Source: Recipes for Fat Free Living 3: Fat Free Desserts
by Jyl Steinback (www.AmericasHealthiestMom.com)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup cold water ½ cup lemon juice
¾ cup skim milk 7 egg whites
2 packages Egg Beaters, or 4 Egg Beaters 1 cup reconstituted dry milk, chilled
½ cup sugar

Prepare graham cracker pie crust according to directions. Place sugar, cocoa, ricotta, skim milk and vanilla in blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour mixture into small saucepan and simmer over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Add Kahlua to mixture, and stir to mix well. Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pie crust, and refrigerate until set.

Nutrition per Serving Exchanges
Calories 130 1 starch
Fat <1 g ½ milk
Carbohydrates 25 g
Protein 7 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sodium 105 mg
Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #6  
Losing for Life!

Here is a great pie page that includes a chocolate chiffon pie that is only 3 points per serving, a lot of nice recipes here,

http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/news/...cfm?NewsID=224