Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #1  

Exclamation Make it healthier

I have way to much time on my hands. I strolled in here and decided we should take a recipe (one at a time) take the ingredients and see how we can make it healthier.

Here is the first one:

LASGNA ROLLS (VERY yummy!)

1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
1 large egg, beaten to blend
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 4 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 cup Parmesan, prosciutto, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to a large pot of boiling salted water. Boil the noodles until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Arrange the noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking.

Butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish. Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, then spread about 3 tablespoons of ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle. Starting at 1 end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay the lasagna rolls seam side down, without touching, atop the bechamelsauce in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and ricotta mixture. Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle the mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan over the lasagna rolls. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining marinara sauce in a heavy small saucepan over medium heat until hot, and serve alongside.

Go for it!
numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #2  

Default Recipe fun

Oh Boy. I love doing this.. let me at it. I do this with every single recipe i find.

1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese - part skim or full skim ricotta
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry - I always try and use fresh veggies
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan - fresh parmesan, therefore you'd need less as the taste is stronger when its fresh.
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped - turkey based prosciutto would be good if they make it..
1 large egg, beaten to blend - egg beaters
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil - if you stir the pasta well, you won't need to add this to the water. I never do and my pasta doesn't stick. You could get away with usuing a teaspoon I bet
12 uncooked lasagna noodles -whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 4 ounces) - soy mozzarella - lower fat and most importantly, lower saturated fat.
More veggies - add some mushroom, zucchini, onions garlic.. this cries out for veggies

Butter the dish - spray with non stick spray.. olive oil best
And that's my take on it.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #3  

Another option--fat free cottage cheese, silken tofu (mushed with a fork) to substitute for higher fat cheeses. Whole wheat lasagna noodles are much higher in fiber than white flour, and are definitely the way to go. Enricos and Franceso Rinaldi both make a no-salt added marinara sauce--cutting sodium is another thing to consider.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote