Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #1  

Default Ground Chicken Question...smell??

Hi all,

Ok, you are all probably gonna think I'm a lunatic but I've gotten used to that over the years, so here goes

My hubby and I have both tried to make turkey burgers and we both cannot stand the smell. For some reason the smell they give off when cooking is just gross to both of us. So my question....I bought ground chicken to substitute for hamburger in tacos....does it give off the same smell as ground turkey does? I would like to have a lower fat and calorie taco but I'll go with regular old hamburger (well ground round drained) if chicken smells like turkey when cooking.

Thanks in advance,

AmberM
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Amber, I thought it was just me but I hate the smell of turkey burgers, sausage or bacon too! I do use ground chicken and it doesn't seem to bother me.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 AM   #3  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Feta-Stuffed Chicken Burgers

POINTS® value | 5
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 15 min
Cooking Time | 16 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

main meals | Salty feta cheese adds a kick to these poultry-based burgers – nobody will miss the beef.

Ingredients

1 pound uncooked ground chicken breast
1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
7 Tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
4 small wheat pita(s)
4 piece lettuce, romaine
2/3 cup roasted red peppers, sliced (without oil)
5 small olive(s), black, sliced (about 4 tsp)

Instructions

Preheat grill, broiler, or spray a pan with Pam.

Mix chicken, oregano, garlic powder and feta together in a medium-sized bowl; divide mixture into four balls and then press them gently into patties.

Grill or broil patties until internal temperature of burgers reaches 165°F, about 7 to 8 minutes per side.

Serve each burger in a pita with a lettuce leaf, 1/4 of peppers and 1 teaspoon of olives.

this is my all time favorite recipe for ground chicken! i do these up in bulk and freeze. its a quick easy on those days you just to tired to cook. and a quick save on the days you could cave. the last time i was in the states i went to wal-mart and bought those plastic hamburger presses. they were under $2.00 so i bought 3.

to top these burgers i wither use Steak sauce, which tastes fabulous! or two parts honey to one part dijon mustard, another yummy. hope you enjoy these as much as i do!

sincerely,
sassy
Old 08-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #4  

Smile

I have the same problem with venison. I absolutely cannot stand the way it smells when it's cooking. I did notice, however, that if I marinated the meat in teriyaki marinade, the meat no longer had that yukky smell while it cooked. My advice would be to add some type of liquid marinade/seasoning to your meat mixture when you are making your patties. If you don't like teriyaki, you could try worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, Heinz 57, bbq sauce, etc. Good luck!
Closed Thread