Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #16  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Wow, really helpful, thanks everyone!!! And yes NNS, he is using these things to replace the candy fruit snacks and stuff he had before. Its just,what I was hearing was making it sound like there wasn't any difference!!!

So we will keep on trekking and not worry about over-fruiting. Today, we are adding a few more veggies to his lunch and took out another bad snack, and cut down to one juice box (yes, my grown man has juice boxes, don't laugh!) Today's snacks include blueberries, carrots, and apple slices!!! Yay
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #17  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Perfect! Its always good to work in what you like while keeping an eye on the overall plan

Always keep in mind that what doesn't work for one MAY actually work for another.

There is no one all-encompassing way to lose weight. There are a few givens (i.e. if you eat 5000 calories a day as a 5ft 2 inactive woman you won't lose weight), but chosen rules that work for one may not work for you. It's amazing how many people extrapolate what they think is fact (and actively refuse to actually reexamine their beliefs) and what they think works or doesn't work for them and apply those "rules" to every single person out there. The same goes for those with medical conditions -- the fact that those with IBS may not be able to eat certain things doesn't mean that everybody needs to follow an IBS diet or that what non-IBSers are eating is somehow "wrong".

I think at the end of the day, you have to look at what makes sense to you, follow the weight-loss advice of those who are actually losing weight the way you want to lose weight, and adjust for personal preferences.

Glad the fruit and veg are working out

Last edited by misspixie; 05-01-2015 at 06:10 PM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #18  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Fruit is risky because of the sugars. But it is so good for you.

In my experience the best fruits for weightloss are either those lowest in sugars (berries) or those you sh!t out because of the high fiber content (dates, figs, prunes, apricots, tart cherries - including dried).

Bananas are good before a run (energy boost, burns off).

In general veggies are better for you in terms of weightloss. But fruit makes dieting more pleasant if you make good choices.

Last edited by IanG; 05-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

One thing I've noticed in myself and in others is that fruit doesn't taste very good if you're eating a high sugar diet. It tastes tart. But once you cut the sugar out you can truly start to experience the pleasure of fruit. It's what I noticed with me anyway.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #20  
Trying to be in the 160s

I think Palestrina is right...again!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #21  

Height: 5'2"

I personally think it's all a matter of opinion.

In my opinion, fruit and fruit juice are very healthy, optimum things to consume for anyone who does not have an actual health problem that precludes that.

But opinions (including mine) on a forum are not a reliable source of information on healthy eating. For that, it'd be best to consult a health or nutritional professional.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #22  
Trying to be in the 160s

fwiw, I have had better advice on this forum regarding healthy eating and eating for weightloss than I have ever received from a health professional.

Come to think of it, I have found better solutions myself through trial and error than I have ever received from a health professional.

When it comes to nutrition and weightloss, most doctors suck.

I think the last time I asked for advice, my doctor advised me to exercise more and eat less. No details on what or how. That was a waste of a co-pay. But at least she renewed my prescriptions for BP and cholesterol meds that I was taking back then.

You're better off talking to a bodybuilder than a doctor.

Last edited by IanG; 05-02-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'm with IanG on that: I've yet to meet a doctor who had the slightest clue about nutrition or weight management.

And I'm with kaplods on the general advice about fruit. Personally I have bad reactions to eating too much sugar, and I'm so small and inactive that I am only on 1200 calories anyway, so I have a few pieces of fruit a week and that does me fine.

I hear that people who go on raw diets, which quite often involves juicing, find their health improves in some ways (of course, if they're doing this after eating the Standard American Diet, almost anything is an improvement), but long-term it wrecks their teeth. I wonder if that is about the sugar? I'm vegan and have been happily so for half my life, but I wouldn't want to live on a raw diet, and juicing doesn't do anything for me either.

Interesting to hear that fruit tastes more tart if you are used to a lot of sugar! I find that fruit tastes anywhere from fairly mild (a banana) to overwhelmingly sweet (various fruits, but this is more likely to happen if my blood sugar is low). Sometimes I'll get a weird head rush as soon as I bite into the fruit, especially with citrus fruit. Mind you, I sometimes get that with other food as well, but it's most common for me with fruit. Oatcakes are a good snack for me if I've reached that point. Bear in mind that I've got a severe medical condition, so this probably isn't that common as a reaction.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #24  

Juicing doesn't wreck your teeth. A raw foods diet doesn't wreck your teeth.

This is why I'm all for getting information from trusted and scientifically-backed sources -- so many "I heard that..." "I believe that..." "I think that..." on this forum, so many rumors and myths.

If you want to be successful, if you want actual information aka facts, find a source that's legit and has some science backing and who has actually lost weight and who ideally helps people actually lose weight as a profession and get the info there. Those sources are out there.

Honestly.

Last edited by misspixie; 05-02-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Granted, anecdotal evidence can be pretty shady, but there's a huge amount of it in this case, it's the overwhelming majority. There's this study, and there's also the issue that if you put "raw vegan diet teeth" into Google, almost every single hit is about tooth decay caused by living on a raw diet. It looks like the sugar and the acidity from fruit are the main problems. I'm sorry, I'm not going to spend hours hunting down research because I'm actually pretty ill, and you're the one making these claims. Can you show me a good body of research proving that a raw diet does not harm teeth long-term at all? Or even that it's safe for children?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #26  

I'm with IanG about doctors. Don't trust them for food and nutrition stuff. There's a lot of info out there, take what you want and see what works for you.

I don't know if raw diets wreck your teeth but since many raw fruits are acidic in sure there is some truth to that if you're not careful. It is adviced to drink juices through straws and bypass teeth, my dentist has told me that.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #27  

Esophia:

If I punch in "detox" I get thousands of pages too, like this:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8404/...-it-right.html

and this

http://life.gaiam.com/article/10-way...xify-your-body

Problem is, detoxing is not a credible theory. So just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true no matter how many pages pop up.

If you're confident in your Google research, then by all means avoid a raw diet.

It makes absolutely no difference to me what you believe and I'm certainly not going to try to disprove your belief system. That is what it is, and you get to live with your conclusions.

However, if you're interested in the truth, find someone who has the scientific backing, personal experience with it, and has a history of helping people transition to a raw foods diet.

Your post above really symbolizes exactly what I was saying and what I've noticed on this forum -- anecdotal evidence of people who believe things they selectively choose to believe, most of it off of Google searches who offer their belief systems up as the "truth", then get huffy when their "facts" are challenged because darn it, they know what they know because of Google, rumor and plain old unfounded anecdotal advice.

I know we're all adults and need to do our own research before acting, but seriously. I found this on the internet it must be true, and I'm not feeling well so it's up to YOU prove me wrong??? Really???

SO done here...

Last edited by misspixie; 05-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #28  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
There's a lot of info out there, take what you want and see what works for you.
That is the best advice about weightloss imo.

Last edited by IanG; 05-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Fruit is healthy in moderation.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspixie View Post

Your post above really symbolizes exactly what I was saying and what I've noticed on this forum -- anecdotal evidence of people who believe things they selectively choose to believe, most of it off of Google searches who offer their belief systems up as the "truth", then get huffy when their "facts" are challenged because darn it, they know what they know because of Google, rumor and plain old unfounded anecdotal advice.

I know we're all adults and need to do our own research before acting, but seriously. I found this on the internet it must be true, and I'm not feeling well so it's up to YOU prove me wrong??? Really???

SO done here...
There's the truth, then the absolute truth, then honest to god truth, and then there's our own truth. I don't see why you have to be so angry, if you're doing a raw food diet then that's awesome! It's hard to do but if you're seeing the benefits of it and it works for you then what does it matter what someone else here thinks?

The thing that I don't understand about 3FC is that people need to be validated, what everyone puts in their mouth is their own business, why do people always have to have someone agree with them?