Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There's not only a lot of opinions and disagreement among us average folks, there's also a lot of conflicting and confusing theories, opinions, arguments, and evidence in the science and among scientists.

Even the experts tend to dismiss or harshly critique even the best evidence when it doesn't support their own theories/research.

To further muddy the waters, there is no entirely objective definition or diagnostic criteria for health. To some extent, health (especily optimal health) is in the eye of the beholder, and based entirely on an individual's health goals and priorities.

I believe that every variable that offers a health benefit comes with a potential cost, which is why moderation and variety (in diet and behavior) are such key concepts. Unfortunately, they're no easier to define than health.

There are no simple answers here. The more you dig into the science, the bigger your questions get.

It doesn't mean we don't barbecue or juice, it just means we have to be very careful not to aqergue or assume that what we're doing is the perfect or only solution.
e
For something as complex as health and nutrition, the simpler we try to make the answer, the more wrong we're likely to be. There are no simple answers. No food is "healthy" on its own. Every food and habit choice can only be judged "healthy" in the context of every other choice you're making, and in the context of your health-related goals, priorities, and definitions.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #32  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think all the disagreement is positive.

It means there are lots of ideas for people to try from in customizing their own weight loss strategy.

A key issue is not only what works and what does not for the individual but whether those choices are sustainable or, better yet, enjoyable.

My lifestyle choices work for me and I love them.

But you wouldn't. Trust me. I have not yet met another human being that would skip dinner, eat fish for breakfast and lunch and run and weight train every day. And that's before we get into the intricacies of my diet, meal and exercise planning.

That is probably a good thing.

So each to their own.

If I read a good tip on here and I like the sound of it, I try it. If not, I laugh (no offence) and move on. For example, those guys on IP crack me up and have have me in stitches with what they do. But it clearly works for some of them...

Wow off-topic. Sorry.

Last edited by IanG; 05-04-2015 at 04:41 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote