Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #1  

Default Ways to Beat Sweet Cravings

Hi All

Anyone have any tips on ways to beat the sugar cravings?!

While I don't like chocolate (I know I am a weirdo!!) I do love a biscuit or a slice of cake and just can't seem to break the habit of needing a biscuit with my cup of tea! lol!

T
Cheekycurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I found that two things help me with getting over the sugar cravings.

First, and most important is getting enough sleep. Without adequate sleep, I feel like I need something to boost my energy level to make it through the day - ala sugar. AND, because I'm sleep deprived, my good decision making ability goes out the window too - so, it's easier to give into cravings. So, #1 is get enough sleep.

Number two is to go cold turkey on most carbs. For me that means all grains, sugar, bananas. It might take 2-3 days to get over the sugar cravings, but once I do, I really don't crave them any more (unless I'm sleep deprived). I might eat more calories on the days I'm trying to get rid of the cravings, but in the end, I'll consume less and feel less tortured by food if I eat more fat/protein to overcome sugar cravings than if I give into the sugar cravings.

Those are my tips - not saying it works for everyone, but it's what works for me.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #3  

Thanks Melissa

I am a total carb junkie - I love the stuff! I really need to just try to cut out the sugar like you suggest.

Interesting about the sleep as I am always tired so maybe that why I have such a feeling for needing sweet stuff - lol!

T
Cheekycurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

studies have been done that suggest DILL PCKLES can aid in curbing a sugar craving......and I eat yougurt with cool whip when I want a bowl of ice cream.
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #5  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I've always found that when I was craving something (especially sweets!), finding something else to do instead of wanting that thing helps.

Maybe grab a glass of water or a cup of hot tea, grab a book or find a craft to do if you have time. Keeping yourself busy, and unable to even think about craving something , should help.
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #6  
Just watch me ...

Honestly, to get rid of a sweet tooth cut out all processed 'sweets'. No cookies, cakes or candies. Better yet to cut out all man-made carbs and stick to eating lean proteins - plant and animal - leafy greens, and fresh fruit, and health fats.

I've done this and, after a while, the fruit tastes soooo good, and the man-made stuff tastes bad. Really, I would not have believed it had I not experienced it.

good luck to you
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Personally, leading a diet high in protein helps me keep sugar cravings at bay. I recommend upping your protein intake, via protein shakes, etc
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #8  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Fruit n yogurt
Diet hot chocolate
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

For me, logging everything I ate helped control this a lot. The calorie wallop for the treats just wasn't worth it most days.

I still have a sweet tooth, and the folks who recommend giving them all up are likely right, but haven't been able to eliminate entirely, just cut way back on quantities.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I have been "juicing" lately (in addition to eating) and drink at least one of those green, nutrient filled drinks a day. I find that when I do this my cravings in general are lessened. I honestly am begnning to think that cravings are a result of deficiencies in the diet. By taking steps to make sure my micronutrient needs are being met, I have finally been able to withstand cravings in general.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

p.s. the drinks are gross (i do the "mean green") but worth it because my diet is finally back on track because of them
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/209/175

Height: 5'8"

I don't know if you drink diet sodas, but cutting out Diet Cokes really reduced my sugar cravings. (Constantly tasting "sweet", even if it was fake, kept me wanting sweet foods.)

Also, like others have said, lots of protein and fewer carbs. And I don't keep any sugary foods in the house. If I want to occasionally have a sweet treat, I have to make a special trip to the store to buy a single serving. It's been surprisingly easy for me to cut back on sugar doing these things.
angelarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

I find getting at least 20% of my calories from protien, counting calories and consistently exercising on most days really helps my sweet craving.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/160/150

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
First, and most important is getting enough sleep. Without adequate sleep, I feel like I need something to boost my energy level to make it through the day - ala sugar. AND, because I'm sleep deprived, my good decision making ability goes out the window too - so, it's easier to give into cravings. So, #1 is get enough sleep.
This is SO true.
Great advice that I've finally been taking, and it's made a big impact. I was really using caffeine and sugar as unhealthy energy sources during the day.

I do still have a pretty bad sweet tooth. To tide myself over, I chew lots of dental gum, yeah it kind of sucks, but it's like a smoker using fake cigarettes or eating carrot sticks... it's "nothing like the real thang" but it's enough to lower the volume on my cravings.
ddovii is offline   Reply With Quote