Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #1  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Default What to do with a coconut?

Hi Gals!

Last week I impulsively bought a coconut because it was very cheap and I love coconutmilk in my smoothies or so.

But now the thing is laying there and I don't know what to even do with it. LOL!

Any tips?
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

The few times I impulsively bought a coconut, I also had no thought of what to do with it. I know that to freeze it, then bang it with a hammer (wrap it in a towel first) will crack it open. Then chunks of coconut can be chiselled out. The chunks will still have a tough brown skin. I just nibble away at the chunks. One small piece at a time. Even more than commercially prepared coconut, it takes a long time and a lot of chewing to consume. Lots of fiber and flavor, but not too much nutrition as I recall.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Punch two little holes in the eyes of the coconut with whatever tool you have available. Fat nail and hammer will do.

All you have to do is bake that sucker for 15 minutes in an oven heated to 375. Once it comes out there will be cracks all over it. Pull the shell off and peel the inner coating with vegetable peeler.

You can do all sorts of good things with it. Puddings, smoothies, etc. There are lots of beneficial acids in it and it's also low on the Glycemic Index.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

The only things I can think of that involved coconut are curries and baked goods. I used to bug my mom to buy coconuts when I was little so I could drink the milk inside but then no one wanted to eat the rest of it xD
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #5  

I awrap it in a towel, take it outside, whack with a hammer til you get a split. Hold over a bowl to catch the "water" if you like - this can be enjoyed chilled as a beverage. Now pry apart and hit into smaller sections if needed. I use a butter knife to pry the meat away from the shell - it usually flips right out. Peel the brown skin off the flesh with a vegetable peeler or paring knife. I will admit to having omitted the peeling step on occasion and the resulting milk was a bit "earthier" in taste. Cut the now almost all white flesh (a few brown flecks are fine) into smaller chunks, toss into blender and top with lukewarm water. Blend on high until you have what looks like creamy milk. Pour into cheesecloth lined strainer and drain. Squeeze out cloth. You can put the solids back into the blender for another round. This second blend will be weaker and more watery. Taste each batch. Depending on your needs you can combine the two for a medium strength milk or use them separately depending on what you are drinking or cooking. It sounds wordy but really does not take long. Good luck!

Last edited by tommy; 09-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote