Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #16  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

morphomel for me the eating and drinking was established when I was a kid. I grew up in poverty and going to the theatre was a treat (figuratively and literally). Nothing beat theatre popcorn and soda pop and candy and even back then it was a fortune. We had a $ cinema and would save and beg for money for the treats that we did not get at home. So I guess as I grew up and had the money I splurged like McD's oh man, when I had money to by a big mac. Even now when my kids ask for something I always say yes because I never had it (or rarely). Eating and drinking are part of the experience or at least it was for me. That's how I got here (heavy) I became a wild eater, had to eat it all so no one else would get it or maybe tomorrow I won't have the money to buy it.
I need some deprogramming. And yesterday I showed myself I don't need the popcorn....so yay me.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #17  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

I really love popcorn, too, but I always bring something else with me to eat instead--either a Luna Bar, a Fiber One bar (the peanut butter chocolate one!), or even a very small amount of Swedish Fish or lite microwave popcorn in a Ziploc bag in my purse.
It's all about changing your habits. Good luck!
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #18  

I made popcorn in the air popper at home and took it in with me (one baggie in my purse and one baggie in my jacket pocket) and a small 8 ounce water bottle. I also took a pack of sugarless gum with me, and I did not feel deprived; I felt good that I was not taking in hundreds of calories and loads of fat.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #19  

I never got used to eating popcorn at the movies. When I was a teen, I used to love going to the movies by myself, and I was always too broke to spring for the popcorn, so I got used to not eating it when watching a movie. I'm really glad now that I don't have that habit.

However, if you feel deprived, I would do as one of the other posters suggested and carry your own bag of popped microwave popcorn (just be sure to hide it when you enter!).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

No it's not weird, but even if it were, and if everyone in the theater did think you're weird, are you going to let it make you eat food you know isn't good for you or stop you from going to the movies?

Sometimes, to lose weight you've got to be weird.

I was raised to believe that a fat girl going to the pool or beach was "too weird," (if not down right wrong). And yet the water is the only place I can do intense activity without having an asthma attack or feeling like I'm getting heat stroke.

I had to be ok with being weird, and even being "gross," to some people.

No one is likely to tell you that you have to buy snacks at the movies, and if
you're so influenced by people's impressions of you that you're afraid to go to the movies without eating popcorn (where no one is likely to pressure you to buy popcorn - except maybe the food concession guy), how are you going to resist all the other social pressures to eat - when people will be offended if you don't eat (and even overeat), and will think you're weird or even rude for declining.

With 2/3 of the USA overweight, you have the choice of being weird or fat.

I'm learning to embrace weird.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-16-2011 at 12:41 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #21  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm lucky, I love popcorn but hate movie popcorn, so making some at home works fine for me. Honestly though, my movie theatre treat is sweet tarts and a diet coke, and has been for years and years, so that saves me on the calorie front
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #22  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

When I decided to change my life, I also changed my playgrounds. I had a difficult time going to a bar without drinking so I quit going to bars. I had a hard time going to certain resturants without over eating so I quit going to them. If you are really serious about changing your life, sometimes you just have change your playmates and your playgrounds.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #23  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

An important part of my lifestyle change was not associating activities with food. Movies don't have to equal popcorn, sporting events don't have to equal hot dog, morning meetings don't have to equal donuts.

Once I just made a rule that eating doesn't go with activities, it's easier to pass up those food choices, rather than talking myself out of something unhealthy. I don't try to come up with a healthier option, just stopped the association.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #24  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

I live in California and some of the theaters now post nutritional facts for their food and drink items at the snack bar where you order. It's scary. Now I just buy a cup of coffee instead if I really need something.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

skinnypop is amazing popcorn-so yummy, and i think it's 39 calories a cup. sneak some of that into the theatre and you'll be rockin' and rollin' !

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I think of this cartoon and it helps a lot!!

Larry,
Attached Images
File Type: gif Movie Popcorn.gif (44.7 KB, 36 views)
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #27  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

we go to the movie theaters literally once a year or less...so when we go, it's a treat for us and for our kids....we will definitely be buying the popcorn, soda and candy both for the kids and for us...although usually we share a big tub all together...and i will definitely be eating it....however i dont feel bad about it because we go ONCE a year or less

there was one time that i didn't go to the movies for 5 years...i went once when i was pregnant and the next time was when our son was 4 1/2 lol...it's a treat! we took our littlest son to see Toy Story 3 last summer with all the experience of the movies (popcorn etc) and just this summer we went again to see Cars 2

there is no way we are shelling out those prices to go more than once a year LOL!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #28  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I think of this cartoon and it helps a lot!!

Larry,
HA!! i almost spit out my coffee LMAO! i totally have to show that to my friends, a family who has a business cleaning the movie theaters around here LOLOL
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #29  

Height: 5'3"

I don't digest popcorn (or any other corn product) very well so I skip it and just have bottled water.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

Whoo hooo! Me watched movie sans popcorn! Me is very proud (thumps chest). What I did was i had a nice lunch just before the movie, so buying popcorn for the movie (which i would have done in the past and stuffed it down even on a full stomach) was out of the question. I was surprised at how much noise came from popcorn paper, kernels being chewed, (ditto Morphomel), It was actually quite annoying.

@Heather. You're absolutely right! This 'diet' mentality, that keeps me feeling like I just want to lose weight so I can go ahead and eat this or that is really keeping me from progress. I almost reached my weight loss goals earlier this year but somehow just got fed up of counting calories, pounds, inches... And ended up with weight gain, which i'm trying to handle now. I really need to convince myself that I can eat treats in moderation without feeling like i've sabotaged my diet, and also eat healthy as a way of life.

@Lori Bell. Two years maintaining? Whoa! I couldnt maintain for a week without splurging on my new found 'freedom'. I guess I should realise what being healthy for life is really worth, and make the changes to support my decision

@Caryesings. The movie was just as nice without popcorn, so I would stop getting anxious on movie weekends.

@Larry H Lol! Now that would come in handy!

Thanks sooo much for this! There's nothing worse than feeling alone in your efforts. You guys make it fun to make the necessary sacrifices to win!
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote