Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 130/128/120

Height: 5'5

Sweet Potatoes are great with a side salad or side of broccoli. Super healthy and both are very low cal and have great health benefits. (sweet potatoes are also a healthier alternative to regular potatoes. And in my opinion, they taste much better)
Danithewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #62  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

We love sweet potatoes!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #63  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Spinach and cheese ravioli with a salad and garlic bread....

no meat in sight tonight.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #64  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Well, I did have meat twice yesterday. I pulled some leftover turkey breast out of the freezer from a few months back. Had a turkey sandwich for lunch then we had turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner, but...

I had collard greens for the first time ever! Angie stir fried them with some onions, a little honey and balsamic vinegar....awesome...AWESOME!

She said it was hard to find a recipe for the collard greens that didn't have bacon in it.....

my kind of recipe...lol

Be good....go veggie often!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #65  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

I made a wild rice soup last night...loaded with fresh spinach and a little chicken.....very hearty!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #66  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Somewhere here I read about Eggplant Lasagna recipe posted in this forum? I tried to search for, but got a lot of threads, but not directly to the recipe. By chance anyone knows where it's located, and give me a clue??

Thanks!!
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 272/261.8/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Crustless Quiche

This is a great "go-to" recipe that is very versatile - you can use any fresh, frozen (and thawed) or leftover vegetables you have on hand, and you can substitute any kind and amount of cheese too.

My favorite combination is feta cheese, broccoli, and a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (drained).

1-1/2 cups milk
4 eggs (you can use all or partial egg beaters)
3/4 cup biscuit baking mix (I use the low-fat kind)
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1 cup cubed cooked ham (optional)
8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch quiche or pie dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, baking mix, butter and parmesan cheese. Batter will be lumpy. Stir in broccoli, ham and Cheddar cheese. Pour into prepared quiche dish.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown.
RococoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #68  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

LITTLEBLUECAT ~ Here is a link to the South Beach Diet threads, looks like plenty of choices in there

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sear...archid=4666379

ROCOCORAY ~ That looks great, my wife makes quiche just once in a while but we have frittata reasonably often.

Lentil soup and rice/black bean leftovers with some cheese nachos last night...watched our granddaughter so we just winged it "meatless".....
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #69  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Last night Angie made the healthier revised version of my award winning...lol Mac and Cheese...pretty darn good and so much healthier!

She did put a little Canadian bacon in it for me since we wanted to compare the old version vs. the remake.

A nice comfort dish w/o the ham or Canadian bacon I bet. Next time we may use the liquid smoke suggestion.

Here it is ~ http://goodcleanhealth.com/blog/unca...te-mac-cheese/
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #70  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

A stir fry with carrots/kale/bok choy/red onion/turnips/spinach and plenty of seasoning....with chicken cooked off to the side to add in if one wished...

I did of course...but just a little...

we also started dinner with a bowl of Pacific Organic Roasted Bell Pepper And Tomato Soup...very-very tasty!

Veg On!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I don't eat very much meat, so a lot of my meals are vegetarian.

I love rice and beans: I saute onions, garlic, then add in 2 cans of pink or red kidney beans, a drained can of diced tomatoes, some sofrito, and an envelope of sazon. Let it all meld, then add chopped cilantro at the very end. Serve over white or brown rice.

I also love to make Tex-Mex inspired dishes with beans: enchiladas, tacos, burritos, or "stacks" of crisped corn tortillas.

Soup is always great (I'm partial to homemade tomato soup, split pea or lentil) and I love Asian style noodle bowls (sometimes topped with a poached egg).

I've made aloo gobi (an Indian potato/cauliflower dish), red curry with cauliflower, peas, and potatoes, or a fire roasted tomato and chickpea curry that I found on www.eatbetteramerica.com a while back.

Pasta dishes, spinach or zucchini balls instead of meatballs, a variety of pizzas, veggie burgers, and you can even make things like shepherd's pie with lentils instead of the meat (www.eatingwell.com has a good recipe featured), vegetarian chili, and vegetarian pot pie with extra root vegetables like parsnips and turnips in a mushroom gravy.

I like to do loaded white or sweet baked potatoes with broccoli and or romanesco, or sometimes quinoa salads with broccoli, roasted red peppers, scallions, and whatever else I can chop up and add in.

Another option is trying out the alternative meats that they have out there. Things like boca crumbles or yves deli slices can always be used.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #72  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thanks for the ideas MUNCHY!

I will check those links out.

My wife wasn't feeling well last night and since it was her night to cook I didn't have dinner plans when she got home from work...

I was going to our local Fresh And Easy anyway to buy some stuff, as my son in law's mother was in charge of a fundraiser there for their church school...

So I picked up some of their turkey chili which was ok. Not much meat in it. I got to talking with Angie though that it seems all the veggie types of chili that we end up cooking pretty much taste the same. I think it might be that the ones we make seem to have the same things in them like the peppers....

anyone have an "off the wall" veggie chili recipe?

Eat Your Veggies!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #73  
it's always something

I hope that turkey chili was made with tofurky, Gary

I don't have an off the wall chili suggestion, but I can suggest a secret ingredient that should liven up any chili recipe Pasilla oaxaca. First let me state that every source in America is currently out of stock. It's a very hard to find ingredient which hasn't been in the country in a few months, but hopefully will be available in the next month or so. These are peppers that are smoked, but please do not think of chipotle or other smoked peppers because these are very, very different. They are pasilla peppers that are intensely smoked and have a strong campfire scent and flavor to them. I can't count how many times I would walk into the kitchen just to open the jar and sniff Naturally as soon as I became hooked on them they disappeared from the market. My favorite use was to include one or two in a crockpot of 'from scratch' baked beans. Sweet and smoky. I bought mine from World Spice Merchants, www.worldspice.com but there are 2 or 3 other places that sell them. All sold out of course.

You might check out World Merchants for some of their unique spice blends to add new life to other veggie dishes. Everything is freshly blended and ground. I'm a die-hard fan of theirs. I use their Smoky BBQ Rub in my vegetarian chili. If you like Indian food, their curry blends are amazing and I promise you'll never buy a supermarket curry spice again.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
anyone have an "off the wall" veggie chili recipe?

Eat Your Veggies!
Ok, so none of these are vegetarian, but they do have veggies and they're healthy...

This one is really good and is chock-full of veggies. I find that the quality of the chili powder makes a difference and if you buy good chili powder (I get mine at Penzy's) it tastes a lot better! I add in one more can of black beans and I use a full pound of ground turkey. Warning, it makes a lot, but freezes very well.

This recipe isn't veggie either, but I love to make it for other people. Reception has been good on it, and I think it's quite tasty.

Finally, I just made this recipe last week and I loved it because it was SO SIMPLE, and it used pumpkin!

In any of these (especially the first one) the meat can be swapped out for TVP crumbles, but the broths would need to be swapped out to truly be vegetarian dishes.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I always a add a pinch of cinnamon and a Tablespoon of cocoa powder to add depth to chili.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote