3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Greek Yogurt (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/236461-greek-yogurt.html)

mayness 06-27-2011 08:55 AM

I have to agree, there's lots of really awful greek yogurt and lots of amazingly awesome greek yogurt. I actually haven't tried one in between... but I've stopped trying and just buy the Fage every time. :)

Bac0s 06-28-2011 08:45 PM

I love Chobani, but Fage will do in a pinch. Yoplait is revolting.

saef 06-29-2011 05:04 PM

I cannot believe the explosive proliferation of Greek yogurt brands at the grocery stores that I frequent.

About two or three years ago, it was hard to find. Then, there was a sonic boom of marketing, and now it's everywhere, all the major dairy brands carry their own version, and now there are many friends of mine who won't eat any yogurt that isn't Greek style.

The biggest brands don't seem to do it as well as the smaller niche marketers.

I will be shocked if some conglomerate food corp. doesn't buy out Fage for a large sum. If they do, I hope they don't mess with it.

Yoplait is particularly ... sour. And I actually **like** sour & could probably eat sour cream if yogurt weren't available. Also the shape of the cup makes it look as though you get less for your money. They need to rethink this product.

Dannon, Brown Cow, Athenos and Oikos are about on par, to me anyway. Brown Cow is disappearing from the dairy cases: A failed launch? I just bought six tubs of Athenos for 75% off, so that's not catching on very quickly here either.

Chobani is really good, a little better than the previous group. The constant sales on it make me buy it a lot more than those others.

Siggi's is the only thing that approaches Fage.

Yoplait needs to dump its house brand & buy Fage & not touch it.

We have a lot of multiple-buying yogurt hoarders here. If Fage is on sale, the shelf gets cleaned out fast. Particularly for the 0% plain. If I don't get to the store early after the restocking, it's always gone. I am sick of waiting for rain checks at the service desk.

Darkblue 06-30-2011 09:33 PM

We can even get Fage where I live. Fage 2% with fruit is awesome. I love how thick it is.

nikkinouille 07-01-2011 12:16 PM

Mmmm... I just froze a 6oz of Greek Yogurt & ate it. Tastes like ice cream. Except so much better for you ;) Any one else freeze theirs from time to time?

saef 07-01-2011 01:10 PM

Two more brands in the dairy case in my grocery store this morning:

Cabot now has a Greek yogurt. I looked at the big 32. oz tub, but it's 10% milkfat.

Also, Olympus, which I didn't see in plain nonfat.

I've also seen one called Greek Gods, but only in smaller health food stores.

And Chobani is making money hand-over-fist with theirs, according to the Wall Street Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/06/3...ogle_news_blog

philana 07-09-2011 06:04 AM

I am just wondering, reading your accounts of how great it is. Could some one elborate on the taste a bit? I'm really not a yoghurt person (though I keep trying) because it's so sour and I hate sour.

RawrDinosaur 07-09-2011 10:12 AM

Fage 2% is the only brand for me!

to answer the person above, the taste is almost identical to a good, thick, rich sour cream, in the better quality greek yogurts.

Bad quality greek yogurt will be thin and overly sour/tangy.

Even if you don't like it plain, you can cook with it. It makes a great substitute for pretty much any creamy sauce(mayo, alfredo, sour cream, oils in cooking, etc). I swear I could make pretty much anything out of the stuff. :)

Riemontana 07-09-2011 10:22 AM

OH I love chobani, especially the mango. We don't get many of the other brands here but it is improving. I don't care for the plain but we use it for cooking. I really like to put some vanilla in a smoothie. Makes it thick and rich.

JenMusic 07-09-2011 02:00 PM

saef - The full fat Greek yogurt from Cabot is AMAZING. That's how I first started eating, actually (pre-calorie counting!).

philana - A lot of people dislike plain Greek yogurt, at least at first. A strategy I recommend is to doctor it up a bit. I'm partial to vanilla extract, cinnamon, and fruit, but there are tons of ways to change it up. After you get used to the flavor this way, you may find one day that you like it plain.

liliesinmycereal 07-11-2011 06:41 PM

I was reading that greek yogurt is a good sour cream substitute. Has anyone who likes greek yogurt used it for dips?

RawrDinosaur 07-11-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liliesinmycereal (Post 3931526)
I was reading that greek yogurt is a good sour cream substitute. Has anyone who likes greek yogurt used it for dips?

I do - dill, lemon juice, olive oil(just a spritz), cucumber(diced), and a bit of garlic makes a wonderful dip.

also, mixing it with salsa, or whatever else. very low cal, and good for you.

fattymcfatty 07-11-2011 07:42 PM

I also make a tzatki type sauce with the greek yogurt--lemon juice, salt, pepper, diced cucumber and tomato, dill and a little bit of fresh mint. Then I use it to top grilled chicken in a whole wheat pita with a little hummus. YUM!!!

I agree that Fage, and Dannon Greek are best. Brown Cow is good, too. The Greek Gods is disgusting, thin and runny. Stonyfield does a good one, too.

philana 07-12-2011 09:16 AM

JenMusic - thanks for the tip!

I just had some for the first time, and it was AMAZING. I don't like yoghurt usually - but this is so nice and creamy. And with an apple and a teaspoon of sugar it was the ultimate 'snack'. Only about 200 calories - which really is okay. Do the low fat ones taste as good as these? I'm just thrilled. Because I know I can ween myself off the added sugar and it will be the perfect breakfast.

mayness 07-12-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philana (Post 3932521)
Do the low fat ones taste as good as these?

I had been eating low-carb/high-fat so I was eating full-fat Fage brand greek yogurt. But I recently started a new diet and needed to buy the fat-free kind, and I'm amazed that it's actually really good! It's a little less creamy in texture, and a little more sour, but not by much. It's still miles above regular plain yogurt. :D