Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love condiments, especially flavored mayonaise, so I buy Hellman's Canola mayonaise. It's half the calories of the regular Hellman's, but tastes more like regular mayonaise than most light mayos. I also like Sweet Baby Ray's and I'll mix a tsp of the bbq sauced into a tablespoon of the mayo (I'll mix it right on the bread or tortilla with a knife). A little dry mustard or prepared mustard also is a nice combination with a little bit of mayo.

For chicken or turkey sandwhiches, I sometimes mix the canola mayo with no-sugar-added currant jelly (from Aldi) and a bit of mustard or mustard powder.

Bacon bits or crumbled bacon and canola mayo.
Oriental chili garlic paste and mayo.
Wasabi and mayo
horseradish and mayo (or horseradish and ketchup)
teriyaki sauce and ketchup
ketchup and worcestershire sauce (makes a great steak sauce)
I've even used a pinch of Crystal Light mix to make a raspberry vinaigrette.

I have a bunch of tiny tupperware style containers that only hold 2 tablespoons. They're perfect for mixing just enough condiment or salad dressing for one or two servings. I just have to make sure that if there is leftover not to let the little tub get lost in the fridge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 270/229/145

Height: 5'9

Smile

I like to add Frank's hot sauce to my mustard. I also like the laughing cow cheese idea I saw on here. I think I might try that for lunch tomorrow. I already know I like that on English muffins.
honeybunny917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #18  
Lone Locust of Apocalypse

S/C/G: 310/310/150

I was thinking of asking this same question because I have a new panini press and I have no idea what sauces to put in it. I'll have to figure out pesto, hummus, and maybe chimichurri, but I'll have to find recipes on things that add more flavor than mayo. I hate BBQ sauce and use mustard a lot. I hope I find more healthy or adaptable options that are tasty.
Regera Dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #19  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I like a lot of the stuff that's been suggested here. A few other ideas:
- guacamole
- bruschetta topping
- tapenades
- chutneys
- muffaleta mix (an olive spread)
- raspberry chipotle sauce (available at Cost Plus and maybe Trader Joe's)
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 336/290/196

Height: 6ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renwomin View Post
Thanks for all the ideas! I don't know why I had never thought of putting hummus on a sandwich before as an added spread but it sounds really good! I also need to remind myself that LIGHT mayo isn't so bad. I'll also need to make sure I pick up an avocado at the store.

Morgan, I'm going to have to try out that BBQ sauce. My favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's but it has a lot of sugar in it!

Jayne, I haven't seen piccalilli over here in the store but I also haven't been looking. I'm intrigued.
I had a quick look to see if anywhere over there would sell it and i'm not sure - british food shops would definitely sell it if you have any in your area as it's pretty popular over here, for on meats and stuff too. the makes i have had have been heinz or haywards. definitely worth a try if you can get your hands on it.
JayneEnglandUK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #21  

somebody in another forum has been looking for picalilli and apparently someone has seen it in kroger? which i believe you have some of them in the midwest? x
Old 03-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneEnglandUK123 View Post
somebody in another forum has been looking for picalilli and apparently someone has seen it in kroger? which i believe you have some of them in the midwest? x

Ooooo.. Kroger! Yes, we have several Krogers in my town. Thank you for the info. I'll have to go on a picalilli hunt.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #23  

hehe no worries i hope you manage to hunt some down!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I think here in America it is just called pickled vegetables or gardiniera. My Mom used to like to eat it. Look in the pickles section.

Woops.....nope, just looked up picalilli images on Google and it is not the same thing. It seems to be more of a relish....and I think Mom used to like that, too! Looks kind of like what we call chow chow here.

Love comparing words/foods with others!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #25  

hehe me too, i find it fascinating what different countries have and different words for the same food
yeah i guess it is a bit more of a relish or a chutney, but the chunks are more crunchy rather than cooked like in a chuntey or relish. yeah just looked up chow chow, does look fairly similar to some of the photos on google. the ones we have are generally pretty strong, not so much heat strong, but the kind of strong that makes you salivate and sweat lol, its fantastic!! great with cheese and gammon/ham :-0
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #26  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I think most people said what I use, but I will add my two cents anyway!

Mustard
Hummus
BBQ Sauce
Hot Sauce
Bruschetta
Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge (use this a lot with Hot Sauce!)
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneEnglandUK123 View Post
I know most of you are from the US but do you have picalilli over there or branston sandwich pickle?? they are both great on sandwiches and low in calories and fat. seen as you like mustard you would love picalilli - its a mustard base which can either be sweet or strong and has chunks of cauliflower, baby onions and gherkin etc in, it's gorgeous! branston's is well it's a bit hard to describe - is a dark sauce with chunks of onion and stuff in. i can recommend both of them if you like your sarnies!!! :-0
Not easy to find, but some supermarkets have a small section of British and European imported foods. So does the Vermont Country Store catalog and website; they get British Heinz foods, like beans, soup, canned spaghetti and sponge-cake desserts (FYI Jayne, in the US Heinz is just ketchup, 57 Sauce, mustard, vinegar, salad dressing, pickle relish and jarred gravy: nothing that's ready-to-eat or heat-n-serve, unless under other brand names). I've had branston pickle and I think it's pretty good. Next time I should try picalilli. (Sometimes they'll have one food for a while and then they won't have it again: puh-leeze, curry sauce!)

Another Brit something that you might like to try on your sandwiches (if you're brave: even the Brits admit it's an acquired taste) is Marmite (or its Australian equivalent Vegemite) which is a brewer's yeast spread and tastes kind of salty

Last edited by ANOther; 03-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

ANOther-I love, love, love the Vermont Country Store. I could order something from every page of their catalog! Such neat and interesting things.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 312/205/180

Height: 5'7

Advocato with a tsp of Dijon Mustard.

I'm also a self-professed mustard hater. Also, for some reason, the advocato sates my desire to put cheese on my sandwich.

Or, you can puree black beans and roast garlic together. That, of course, works better on wraps.
tpanisiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 157 / Ticker / 130

I just use regular, full-fat mayo. Great suggestions in this thread maybe I should try hummus!
Tia87 is offline   Reply With Quote