Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Other stuff you might try:
salsa
cranberry sauce on a chicken or turkey sandwich
horseradish sauce
if you can find garlic-flavored mayo, mmmm (again not very easy to find but I did find a bottle once of garlic lite mayo @ Target)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 336/290/196

Height: 6ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post
Not easy to find, but some supermarkets have a small section of British and European imported foods. So does the Vermont Country Store catalog and website; they get British Heinz foods, like beans, soup, canned spaghetti and sponge-cake desserts (FYI Jayne, in the US Heinz is just ketchup, 57 Sauce, mustard, vinegar, salad dressing, pickle relish and jarred gravy: nothing that's ready-to-eat or heat-n-serve, unless under other brand names). I've had branston pickle and I think it's pretty good. Next time I should try picalilli. (Sometimes they'll have one food for a while and then they won't have it again: puh-leeze, curry sauce!)

Another Brit something that you might like to try on your sandwiches (if you're brave: even the Brits admit it's an acquired taste) is Marmite (or its Australian equivalent Vegemite) which is a brewer's yeast spread and tastes kind of salty
hehe yeah marmite is definitely an odd one, like they say over here,vyou ever love it or you hate it!!! i personally love it, is very nice on toast too. Apparently is very nice with cheese or even meat.
its such a pain that different countries have different foods!! there are so many american foods i love, especially marshmallow fluff!!! lol not that i can really eat it now but i love it!! and is very good in a sandwich, but i'm sure you all already know that!
JayneEnglandUK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #33  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Marshmallow fluff? That sounds disgusting

I've tried marmite and I wasn't a fan.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #34  

oh my god havent you had marshmallow fluff before??????? its the best thing ever with peanut butter or even choclate spread!!
i absolute hate marshamllows but this is ace, its really thick and creamy and sweet!! havent you heard of fluffer nutter sandwiches?? i just assumed everyone in the US had heard of it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #35  
Just Me

hah no, no fluffer nutter and never had marshmallow fluff before. I'm not a fan of marshmallows either.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #36  

hehe well like me, you may just enjoy marshmallow fluff!!!

fluffer nutter sandwich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluffernutter_small.jpg (28.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by JayneEnglandUK123; 03-29-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #37  
Just Me

Umm.. that doesn't look appetizing I looked up the ingredients and it is also pure sugar which I avoid beyond the fact that I don't eat eggs which is the other ingredient.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

I won't eat a sandwhich unless it has mayonaise or ranch dressing on it-- Otherwise it's not worth it to me to even eat it if it's not going to taste good! I don't like mustards or other low cal stuff!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #39  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

BBQ Sauce on EVERYTHING!! Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneEnglandUK123 View Post
oh my god havent you had marshmallow fluff before??????? its the best thing ever with peanut butter or even choclate spread!!
i absolute hate marshamllows but this is ace, its really thick and creamy and sweet!! havent you heard of fluffer nutter sandwiches?? i just assumed everyone in the US had heard of it.
I was an adult before I ever even heard of fluffernutters either (maybe it's more of an East-Coast thing [ETA 03.31, the Wikipedia entry for "fluffernutter" says 'particularly popular in the Northeastern US'], I'm a lifelong Minnesotan and as far as I can tell the specific Marshmallow Fluff brand has been available in our supermarkets only recently: that's another item that's turned up in the Vermont Country Store 'log). Then again I have to admit that while I remember toasting marshmallows over backyard barbeques and having s'mores (Jayne, a s'more is made by toasting a marshmallow, putting a piece of a Hershey chocolate bar on a graham cracker [like your digestive biscuits only larger and square], then putting the toasted marshmallow on top) at campouts, I was never all that wild about the taste of marshmallows in general, so maybe if fluffernutters existed here I just wasn't listening

Last edited by ANOther; 03-31-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #41  

Quote:
I was an adult before I ever even heard of fluffernutters either (maybe it's more of an East-Coast thing, I'm a lifelong Minnesotan and as far as I can tell the specific Marshmallow Fluff brand has been available in our supermarkets only recently: that's another item that's turned up in the Vermont Country Store 'log). Then again I have to admit that while I remember toasting marshmallows over backyard barbeques and having s'mores (Jayne, a s'more is made by toasting a marshmallow, putting a piece of a Hershey chocolate bar on a graham cracker [like your digestive biscuits only larger and square], then putting the toasted marshmallow on top) at campouts, I was never all that wild about the taste of marshmallows in general, so maybe if fluffernutters existed here I just wasn't listening
ahhhh right i see, i guess we dont have some things in certain regions here that we do in others, never really thought of it before!!
wow s'mores sound good, ive heard of them before but never really knew what they were. i quite like marshmallows when theyre toasted so will have to try them next time we have a bonfire! although will have to adapt them i guess - we dont really have hersheys choc or graham crackers. ooh how exciting
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I updated my first post with a master list for easy reference. I have to say collectively we use a lot of different spreads! Thanks again for the suggestions!

Keep them coming!

Last edited by Renwomin; 03-30-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #43  

Hershey here is THE big choc brand, like Cadbury in the UK, so Jayne, if you want to try making 'smores I suppose you could put a few squares of Cadbury on it. Or cut corners a bit, take a couple of digestive biscuits that have a layer of choc on the bottom and put the marshmallow in between
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #44  

Quote:
Hershey here is THE big choc brand, like Cadbury in the UK, so Jayne, if you want to try making 'smores I suppose you could put a few squares of Cadbury on it. Or cut corners a bit, take a couple of digestive biscuits that have a layer of choc on the bottom and put the marshmallow in between
hey cheers ANOther - thats a great idea!!!! when i do them i can always buy a very small bar of cadburys lol so it isn't too bad!!! hehe. i have seen the cookies and cream hersheys in one of the cheap discount shops here but thats it!!! we do have mike and ike in some places and also reeses cups etc all of which i love lol. just a shame i cant have them while dieting
Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 225/225/135

Height: 5'3

I'm a sucker for Honey Mustard or Salsa.
AmyLynn76 is offline   Reply With Quote