Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't use Whey protein (I don't eat dairy) and generally I don't use protein powders but I do like hemp protein powders occasionally.

Vega Chocolate is my favorite but others out there are pretty decent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #17  
Workin' It

DH uses the Body Fortress whey powder from WalMart, and I did too for a while, until I found it was flavored with Splenda. Splenda and I just don't get along... even in the Optimum Nutrition line that I use now some of the flavors have Splenda. So, if you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners make sure you read all the ingredients! Sucralose was way down on the list and I almost missed it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #18  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I use Ultimate High Alpha Whey Protein, chocolate flavour. It tastes good, and has no artificial sweetners - a biggie for me. It's sweetened with stevia. I use it mostly in shakes, but I sometimes add it to cottage cheese or natural yogurt for an extra protein punch. It makes the yogurt taste like chocolate pudding!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 158/134/132

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
Every morning and post workout I have a smoothie with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein Strawberry flavor, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries. YUM!!!
Same here, I have the Chocolate one and the Vanilla one, to which I add all sorts of fruits, depending on the day . 24g protein, 4g carbs, 1.5g fat.
I like the Vanilla one because it is most flexible: you can add anything to make it taste the way you want (from bananas, to berries, kiwi and so on), you can even add unsweetened cocoa powder and you'll have chocolate.

Last edited by Bubu; 04-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #20  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i use the Bodywise elance protien powder. it has
130 cal
20 gram protien powder
1gram sugar
2g fiber
5g carb

it comes in chocalte or vanilla..for me with weight loss i mix with water, or for my hubby i mix with milk, and add friut or peanut butter..whatever they want

they taste amazing, i have tried many diffrent brands, but nothing taste like these do. if im having a sweet craving, i will mix the powder, with ice, to make it nice and thick..just like ice cream

the only catch is that these are not avalible in stores..they have to be ordered from a consultant..

angela
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #21  
sugar is the devil

I use Optimum Nutritional Whey Gold Standard. I currently have Rocky Road, Tropical, and Vanilla Ice Cream. The vanilla is my fav since it's so versatile (mix a banana in there, etc). I have also tried the Chocolate Ice Cream and Chocolate Mint flavors.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #22  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I like it, it's better than a lot of the other ones I've tried. Don't get me wrong, it still has that distinctive "protein powder" flavor (I've never found one that didn't have that) but it's quite tasty! It's relatively sweet and smooth tasting and mixes easily with water. I tried mixing it with a cup of coffee one day and wouldn't recommend that though! lol
I don't exactly know what designates a "protein powder", but I drink Slim-Fast chocolate shake mixes (mixed with skim milk) that have 10g of protein and 5g of fiber, and they taste delicious. I don't taste anything protein-y about it, it just tastes like chocolate milk. It does have some fat and sugar, though.

Are most of the ones being mentioned sugar/fat free? I've never heard of any of them before, this was the only protein/fiber supplement type thing I could find at my grocery store... where do you all shop? I don't have a Wal-Mart near me, so that's out.
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Does protein powder help with weight loss? Will it speed it up at all?
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 158/134/132

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowenna View Post
I don't exactly know what designates a "protein powder", but I drink Slim-Fast chocolate shake mixes (mixed with skim milk) that have 10g of protein and 5g of fiber, and they taste delicious. I don't taste anything protein-y about it, it just tastes like chocolate milk. It does have some fat and sugar, though.

Are most of the ones being mentioned sugar/fat free? I've never heard of any of them before, this was the only protein/fiber supplement type thing I could find at my grocery store... where do you all shop? I don't have a Wal-Mart near me, so that's out.
I shop the 100Whey Gold Standard at my local GNC, but you can order anything online for a better price. I am too lazy to watch the protein shakes being almost out, and I wake up when I actually need them on the spot, so no time for ordering online. Next month I will take my revenge lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda
Does protein powder help with weight loss? Will it speed it up at all?
I don't think so. It all depends on you and your needs. The question is are you getting enough protein from your food or not?
I use it for two main reasons. One is because I get enough carbs from my food, but not enough protein (without having all the calories and fat added to it), so I chose a high protein, low carb, and low fat powder. The second main reason is the fact that I noticed I feel much better when I take them (preworkout and postworkout, when my body needs them the most). My body processes them very well, because if I have food (I tried everything from fruit to protein intake combination from solid food) I feel heavy with my digestion going on even after 1h. I have a lot more energy, and my muscles also recover faster. But you have to take care and add them to your calories and protein/carb/fat intake so you stay on track, otherwise you will gain weight instead of loosing.
Bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #25  
Sunshinez28

S/C/G: 155/148/140

Hey there, I buy the Body Fortress chocolate whey protein at Walmart also.. its cheap and its good it has everything in it you need for a good protein shake. 26 grams of protein per scoop. I blend mine with a tsp of peanut butter and its yummy!!! =)
sunshinez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #26  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Last night I saw a commercial for Biggest Loser protein powder. I wonder if it could help me, so I decided to post these questions.

Do you use protein powder? How? What foods do you add it too? What brand do you use?
I can't have soy anymore so I switched over to whey protein. Problem is that I also need to avoid artificial sweeteners so many of the whey protein shakes are out for me.

Referring to your original comment about TBL protein powder, the all natural Vanilla Bean (and the chocolate flavor) are sweetened with stevia and contains fiber. I use TBL Vanilla Bean one...it has a good, fairly bland/neutral flavor and is perfect for making smoothies. Standalone as a shake, it is pretty thin/watery but it's only 5 oz of the stuff so it's gone in a few swigs. I use it mostly on mornings that I have oatmeal for breakfast to up the protein.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote