S/C/G: 11st/-/9st

uuugghhh, enough to put you off peanut butter altogether
Umberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Smukers Uncrustables

At Costco two weeks ago, they gave out samples of frozen peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches, on white bread, squeezed into a circle, called Smuckers Uncrustables. Here's a picture and a review from a Wegman's site, no less: Smukers Uncrustables

I was horrified. It did, however, taste just like the stuff I was fed as a kid, Wonder Bread and all.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It does really show though one of the reasons obesity is running rampant in the US. Labor- and time- saving products have reached an insane level, when making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich the traditional way is seen as taking too long, or requiring too much effort.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
At Costco two weeks ago, they gave out samples of frozen peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches, on white bread, squeezed into a circle, called Smuckers Uncrustables. Here's a picture and a review from a Wegman's site, no less: Smukers Uncrustables

I was horrified. It did, however, taste just like the stuff I was fed as a kid, Wonder Bread and all.
I remember they had those in my high school when I was maybe a junior or senior... so 7 or 8 years ago. I got one occasionally as a dessert. I could never consider full-sugar PB and full-sugar jelly on white bread part of a meal... but as dessert it sounds pretty yummy. I'd make it myself, though, haha.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #20  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I would like to see an ingredient list, but the nutrition seems about par for the course for peanut butter. And 170 calories per slice is about the same as regular peanut butter. Each slice is 28g; a serving of regular PB is usually 32g and around 200 calories. So the slices might look really small and thin, but in reality they are about the same size as a regular serving of PB.

But I have to wonder what they put in it to make it not sticky; the fact that they don't list the ingredients on their website probably isn't a good sign.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #21  

One could only bet it was loaded with trans fats YUCK lol
kh012009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #22  
Operator265

Yeah, Bill, my X used to get those for his lunch awhile after we divorced. I remember thinking, "What a lazy," and the expense. I glad WY takes child support directly out of the non-custodial parents pay checks.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #23  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I found the patent, which lists the ingredients! Peanut Butter Slices.

Nothing too exciting, chunky peanut butter, powdered egg white, flour, and an emulsifier. They don't mention what the emulsifier is though, or the amounts of each.

Not something I'll be in a hurry to try...
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I once saw 2 boiled eggs packaged up in a snack pack at the supermarket.
Bonjour, mesdames et monsiuers. Yesterday we have learned the correct way how to boil water. Today we will learn the correct way how to crack an egg.
- Sabrina (with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart; 1954)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #25  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I once saw 2 boiled eggs packaged up in a snack pack at the supermarket.
True confessions here. I've bought 'em. About my third graveyard shift of the week, I get whack tired and can run out of prepared food(I have a 15 yr old that eats like a teenager). It's a better choice than a bag of Cheetos. And yes, that's also 'bout the time I pay $4 for .25 worth of iceberg lettuce salad w/ a bit of ham, turkey and cheese in it. Not exactly proud of it, but, like I said, I could be paying way too much for crap that is bad for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #26  

I generally wouldn't buy preboiled eggs, but I think it's great that some supermarkets and convenience stores carry them. Sure most of the time boiling your own eggs is more economical and worth the time and effort, but there are exceptions and boiled eggs are better than most "on the go" foods. When my husband and I travel, we try to stop at grocery stores for at least half of our meals rather than convenience stores or restaurants, and we probably wouldn't try to boil eggs in the car or motel.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

OK, I guess I see how they could be helpful on the go. My thought was that people would buy them just to use at home because they wouldn't actually boil eggs themselves.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #28  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I completely agree this is a lazy concept but in some ways, how is it more wrong than buying individually packaged crisps or cookies?

I also think it could be beneficial for someone that has trouble controlling their portions.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #29  
Operator265

Oh yeah, people do buy 'em that way too. That's what got me looking sideways at my X over the Smucker's PBJs. He didn't grab some of those on the way to work cause he needed a quickie lunch. He actually pulled them out of the freezer and set them on the window sill to warm at his house while he had bread, PB and Jelly right there. OY!!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #30  

Also nice for single folks, college students and couples, especially if they don't eat very many eggs (why not buy them cooked, if the other option is buying a dozen you won't use - I've not seen eggs sold by the half dozen anymore).