Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Price can be irrelevant with wine given how much of the enjoyment is based on your personal palate. If you like $5 wine, then buy $5 wine. Myself, I'm more of a connoisseur and probably spend far too much on wine, but I like it and it's hobby of sorts. I've had some amazing wine in the $80-$100 range, but more often then not I wasn't paying for the bottle. I can't afford that these days. Thankfully, you can find good wine for under $15 a bottle and sometimes under $10.

raw23~ I've lived in CA, WA, and now NM and I have found good and bad wines from all three states. All of the states have wineries of some sort, although I don't think all of them are grape based wines. There are bound to be some good OK wines. Regardless, it doesn't really matter if something is deemed good or bad as long as you like it!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Just trying to expand my horizons... you know, try new things. Feel like I should be giving it a valid shot instead of trying cheap wines and thinking I dont like any wine.
Always a good thing!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

My favorite

Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Maybe have a look at what Trader Joes has. If you can pin down a person down the wine isle maybe they can make a few recommendations. I've had friends swear by the $6 wines they have.

If you shop at Costco they have 7deadly Zins their for $13... usually $18.

Going to a wine tasting with a friend can help you figure out certain characteristics of wine you like; such as dryness and fullness.

Next time you go to a restaurant and order dinner ask the server to recommend a glass of wine that would compliment your meal.

Pinot tends to be popular with men and Merlot with women.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #20  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I really enjoy A to Z pinot noir and their Night & Day blend. It comes from Oregon.

I also really like Jumilla reds.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I had a Pinot Noir over the weekend and actually liked it!!! I'm so glad. Thanks for the help!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #22  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

Hey, and that's a good one to like! They say that Pinot Noir actually has the highest amount of antioxidants. Enjoy!
DayByDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I worked for a wine company and have tried, literally, DOZENS of red wines and they all taste and smell like dirty gym socks to me. I don't think red wine is a taste I can acquire. I am also VERY picky about whites, I like rieslings and some Rose's. My sister didn't like red wine, she started with whites and eventually moved onto reds and drinks only red now.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #24  
carinna

Something about red wine almost always gives me a headache. But, once in a while if I'm in the mood, I like Smoking Loon Merlot.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #25  

Quote:
Something about red wine almost always gives me a headache.
Red wines have more tannin in them, which can trigger headaches in a lot of people. Unfortunately it's the tannins that are also responsible for a large part of the anti-oxidant value in red wines.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Red wines have more tannin in them, which can trigger headaches in a lot of people. Unfortunately it's the tannins that are also responsible for a large part of the anti-oxidant value in red wines.

Actually scientists have no idea what causes red wine headaches.

The latest studies suggest prostaglandins, a hormone like substance that can cause inflammation, are the culprit. I believe there was a study where people showed improvement with red wine headaches when given prostaglandin inhibitors. Red wine has more of these then white. Still, this has not really been proven, it's more a theory.

They have mostly ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins though. It's still a mystery.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #27  

Quote:
They have mostly ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins though. It's still a mystery.
My understanding was that tannins are still a trigger item, especially for people with migranes. I know my BIL who gets bad migraines cannot drink red wine or eat red grapes - and the common denominator there is tannin.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the studies if you have links. (Of course now, being the research geek that I am, I'm off to go look things up! )

Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
My understanding was that tannins are still a trigger item, especially for people with migranes. I know my BIL who gets bad migraines cannot drink red wine or eat red grapes - and the common denominator there is tannin.

I'd be interested in seeing some of the studies if you have links. (Of course now, being the research geek that I am, I'm off to go look things up! )

I guess what I should have said is they've ruled out sulfites, histamines, and tannins in MOST cases of red wine headaches. I thought I added a link. Oops. Here's one:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A9649C8B63

From what I understand tannins are only a trigger for people with migraines. However, if you don't have migraines, tannins are not the issue. Does your BIL have to stay away from tea and chocolate as well? They contain a fair amount of tannins as well. I have to say, that truly sucks for you BIL!

On another note, I know one person who really is allergic to sulfites and he can't eat anything. Seriously, there are so many foods with sulfites in them it's ridiculous.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-29-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #29  

Quote:
Does your BIL have to stay away from tea and chocolate as well? They contain a fair amount of tannins as well. I have to say, that truly sucks for you BIL!
Yeah. Luckily he doesn't like chocolate all that much (I know - he's a bit of a weirdo anyway! ), but he has to be very careful about what he eats and drinks. And he loooooves a good red wine.

I feel for him.

Oh, and thanks for the link!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #30  

I drink Cabernet Sauvignon. However, wine is definitely an acquired taste. I hate sweet wines but you have to try a few to see what's most pleasing to your palate.

I say go on a wine tasting adventure for the day. Check out a few vineyards/wineries and enjoy!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote