Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default Granola... is it all the same ?

I wanted to change my breakfast, well, start eating one... LOL

I blindly bought LF yogurt and some granola at the store.
This morning realized LF yogurt had 32g sugar, it was vanilla, I thought I picked up plain... And the granola seemed outrageous at 140 cals and 29g of carb for 1/4 cup.. the birds got the granola and the neighbors got the yogurt. The granola was really tasty, there is no way I would eat just one serving with breakfast...it had to go.... A lot of you are eating greek yogurt, so I'll give that a try, but ...Are all granolas the same ? Which one do you eat ?

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 05-10-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

No, granola is NOT all the same. Nutritional content varies.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I only sprinkle about half the amount of a serving into my yogurt. I also look for yogurt that has no fat, and is low calorie. I don't know what diet you are on, but there are also very low carb yogurts out there that taste great too. I think it is a great treat for after a workout. I go to a whole foods store and seek out the lowest cal granola, which is usually one with dried strawberries in it.

Which diet are you on? I am doing a lower carb version of Weight Watchers. I just try to stay away from carbs after 4:00 p.m.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've learned to be very careful about granolas... a lot of them are scary high in calories. I haven't bought anything that's actually called "granola" in a long time.

My favorite is Kashi GoLean Crunch in yogurt.. it's got a definite granola-like texture and plenty of protein and fiber. It can be a little tempting to have in the house, though.

Other cereals are good for adding some crunch to your yogurt, too... if you eat artificial sweeteners, there are lots of good high-fiber & low-calorie options, check out all the varieties of Fiber One and All Bran. Original Fiber One in low-fat, no-sugar-added yogurt is a really low calorie and filling breakfast.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #5  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you for your input. I'm counting calories right now. Pondering focusing more on the carb intake... I'm keeping w/in cal count, but I know I'm eating too many carbs...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Granola is top on my list of foods that you think are good for you but really aren't. I have never found a granola that is not remarkably high in calories for a remarkably small amount of food, and, believe me, I love granola so I've read the nutritional info for A LOT of granolas.

If you want something crunchy in your yogurt, I think you would be much better off with a good, low sugar, high fiber cereal, like mayness suggests. My favorites are Fiber One and Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, both of which are only 60 calories per 1/2 cup (which is plenty to stir in to a cup of yogurt), but the Kashi cereals are good too.

Even better, stir fruit into your yogurt. This is especially good with plain yogurt, as the sweetness in the fruit can help offset the tartness of the yogurt.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #7  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I'm with the others. I haven't touched granola since I started calorie counting. An 1/8 cup of Kashi GoLean has 17 calories and adds just a nice bit of crunch to yogurt or cottage cheese. Also, plain yogurt (which is what I see you wanted in the first place) has much fewer calories than flavored, and you can flavor it yourself with fresh fruit, jam, a little bit of honey, cinnamon, etc.

The lesson to take away is that no matter what the product, even if it has a healthy reputation - yogurt, granola, cereal, soup, wheat bread, whatever - there's always variation, and reading labels is the only way to succeed!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #8  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you ... the crunchy cereal sounds like a great option.. I never thought of it ... but that's what YOU guys are for.. right...