Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default what is a great tasting yogurt?

Can somebody recommend a great tasting brand preferably fruit yogurt to eat with a minimal amount of calories? As of today have banned SPLENDA, infact all artificial sweeteners for that matter.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

Maybe Dannon all-natural? It's a little pricey, but it's super yummy (I only tried it cuz I had a coupon). THe ingredients are all pronounceable.
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Plain yogurt, Stonyfield farms I think is pretty awesome, buy a big tub of plain and add your own frozen fruit. I buy frozen fruit from Costco but Trader Joes has a nice assortment of frozen fruit that is reasonably priced. Also, you can strain your yogurt using a cheesecloth/coffee filter and it makes it nice and thick.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #4  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Fat free greek yogurt (like Fage brand) is basically strained yogurt, as described in the last post. It has a rich, thick texture, and it's only 60 cals for 1/2 cup. I like to add vanilla flavored Stevia (which is a natural sweetener found in the vitamin section of stores that carry organic stuff - expensive but worth it I think) and a bit of cereal for crunch. My BF isn't on a diet and he still asks for this dessert!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I get plain yogurt, too. I try to get 1%, but usually I buy whole and fat-free and combine them. I also seek out whichever brand has the most live cultures. Typically they have two (acidophilus and bifidus), but sometimes you can have them with four or even six different live cultures.

I add fruit and no sweetener, but when I used to sweeten it I used Stevia, which is actually a plant extract, I think.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #6  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

I love Stoneyfield Farms. I find it at Publix, here in Florida. I love the fact that they don't add artificial sweeteners (poison in my opinion) and, they use organic milk (no hormones, etc.)

I definitely vote for SF Farms. I have tried all the fruit ones and they are good. Just remember to stir them up good.

I found that dipping fresh cut sweet red apple slices in the yogurt is an absolutey YUMMY treat for anyone who wants to try it. You can keep the candy. I found my sweet treat! LOL

As for calorie count, I can't answer that one for you unless I go forage in the fridge and pull one out and look. I don't think they are too bad though. I don't count calories so I never really looked at them. I just eat as clean and healthy as much as possible, eat until I am full, and only eat when I am hungry, so I never worry about calories. Along with that, I exercise every day and drink lots of water. As long as the scale continues moving in the downward direction and my clothes continue to get looser, I will continue not counting calories! That's what works for me.

Kathy

Last edited by kitkatbahr; 10-12-2007 at 09:33 PM.
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

STONEYFIELD FARMS if you can afford the extra $1 or so. It's all natural and its got fiber.

Or, if you like plain greek yogurt, you can get the FAGE cups! Available in 0% or 2% , milkfat.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #8  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the dannon all natural variety, so this is the route I went. I love it, and it is delish and all natural, 110 calories per cup and they come in the cutest lil 4 packs. I always add a bit of ground flax to stir in or some plain dry oatmeal and I am loving it!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Just bought Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt...and can't wait to try it!!

Today was actually my FIRST-EVER trip to TJ's.....I see why everyone loves it so much!! It's a little out of the way from where I live, but I'll definitely go again....especially for the high-fiber muffins!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

Greek yogurt is the way to go. You would never imagine you were eating a low fat yogurt it is so thick and creamy. It's delicious.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My favorites: Fage Greek yogurt (love the plain stuff with fresh berries, if you need extra sweetness it is absolutely decadently wonderful with the addition of a drizzle of dark honey), Horizons organic, Wallaby (particularly the maple), Brown Cow (the full fat stuff is outrageously outrageously yummy but a big calorie hit for me).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #12  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
Today was actually my FIRST-EVER trip to TJ's.....I see why everyone loves it so much!! It's a little out of the way from where I live, but I'll definitely go again....especially for the high-fiber muffins!
I use to have to go to the TJ's 45 Min.from me, I have one closer now.
I take a cooler with me so I can lay in supplies. Edemamme is a top buy for me these days.

I am not a big yogurt fan. I find it really sour, so I add fruit and HF cereal and choke it down cuse I am not a big milk fan either, but I will try the greek yogurt on my next trip to the market.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote