Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #1  

Default Spending 3 weeks in France and Germany! How do I not blow my diet?

I will be living a European lifestyle for about 3 weeks and want to make smart choices for my diet while there. I will be surrounded by Europeans and the culture and I am totally lost when it comes to making healthy meal choices when I am in a strange land. Any suggestions?
rdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Well this I definately have experience with. About once a year the company I work for sends me to Germany for different training classes usually for 4 to 6 weeks at a time and I try to tack on at least a weeks vacation along with it. I don't speak any foreign languages and I am usually by myself so I always make sur before I leave that I have the little translation books for emergencies (like eating without totally blowing a diet) I find what words are for fish and chicken and try to stick mostly with that. I call the menus "Lotto choice dinners" sometimes you win and sometimes you loose usually I find the chicken section and close my eyes and pick LOL If you end up with something breaded or looks high in calories Push half of it to one side before you start. Another good thing about Europe is you can find fresh fruit and veggies cheap everywhere. I keep plenty in my hotel and try to just eat 1 official meal a day and maybe a coffee and snack type lunch (or when in France opt for the glass of wine ang some grapes or a little cheese). Another good thing is you should be able to get in plenty of walking to counter some of it. Best of luck and have fun.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Like Val said, there are lots of little shops that sell fruit and veggies. Maybe plan to have that sort of thing for lunch. I am guessing that your hotel will be providing breakfast. My experience has been that there are lots good choices there. I think that as long as you don't stock your room with candy bars or whatever your particular vice is, you will do fine. You should enjoy yourself and sample lots of different things. Just don't stuff yourself. Between the walking you will do and the lack of availablility of naughty snack food that you have at home, you might even loose a little. Good luck, and have fun!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I do think it's important that you enjoy French food though. They have amazing bread and amazing cheese, among other things. Try to focus upon eating moderately: eat and savor for the pleasure of eating delicious food, and fill your belly with the harmless stuff like fruits and veggies.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote