Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #1  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Turkey vs. Beef. What do you think?

I went to the store last week and bought some 93/7 ground turkey and 93/7 ground beef. Today I looked at the nutritional info and they are exactly the same! The only difference is that the turkey actually had 10mg more of cholesterol!
So my question is... why is ground turkey so much healthier than beef if they are so similar? Besides from flavor and texture, what makes turkey different? Is it something about the animal? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Lauren

Last edited by PurdueGal; 08-21-2007 at 01:00 PM.
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #2  

lol i would deff have to say....EAT MORE CHICKEN!!! lol cuz i dunno the answer!!! But if they say they are the same nutrients.....then id just mix for a diff. flavor!!!
afb0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I think...tofu! But that's just me.

Cholesterol free plus flavanoids
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think this harkens back to the dark ages of "diet food," when 93/7 beef wasn't available, and the only ground meat that might be lean was turkey (and even then a crapshoot, because some included ground skin). There's nothing inherently magical about turkey. In fact, if it includes ground skin,it can be worse than ground beef calorie and fat wise.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #5  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Unless you're on a strict lo-cholesterol diet, it really doesn't matter. I find ground turkey to be rather tasteless, but I suppose that could be a plus depending on the recipe. Kim.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

I think people suggest eating more ground turkey than ground beef because unless you do find lean ground beef (like the 93/7 you found) the beef can be much worse for you than the turkey. But you have to watch the turkey, too - if you just get normal frozen ground turkey you have to check the nutritional info, b/c it could have fat and skin ground in as well. Most normal grocery stores I walk into don't tell you what the ground beef's fat content is. Bottom line, I guess, is to read your nutrition labels!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #7  

I think the deal is that poultry is better for you than beef in general, since poultry is generally leaner while beef generally has more intramuscular fat. If the fat contents are the same, then the nutritionals would also be the same. Same numbers, then pick whichever tastes best to you.

But if you are at a restaurant and have a choice of either a six ounce steak or six ounces of skinless chicken or turkey, then in that case the poultry would be more calorie wise.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I used to be a HUGE ground beef eater (burgers), but after using turkey a few times, I now find that beef sometimes has a bit of a metal taste to it. I love making turkey burgers! I know its about the same calorie wise, but in my mind it makes me feel better
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Beef has more cholestorol than turkey..so if you aren't worried about cholestorol it really isn't a problem..however you really should keep red meat to 1 - 2 times a week to ensure a low chol lifestyle. one thing i will add about ground turkey...be very careful. You were smart and looked at the pack..but alot of ppl assume ground turkey is low in fat...you have to be very very careful. Alot of ground turkey has a lot of skin placed in it to help keep it moist when cooking...therefore making it high in fat. So ensure if you are buying ground turkey...its lean ground turkey.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGal View Post
I went to the store last week and bought some 93/7 ground turkey and 93/7 ground beef. Today I looked at the nutritional info and they are exactly the same! The only difference is that the turkey actually had 10mg more of cholesterol!
So my question is... why is ground turkey so much healthier than beef if they are so similar? Besides from flavor and texture, what makes turkey different? Is it something about the animal? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Lauren
It depends on what cuts of turkey they use. Read labels. I've picked up some packages of ground turkey that were equal to or even worse than some ground beef. For example, ground sirloin is going to have less fat than ground turkey made up of the dark meat and the skin tossed in. But if you buy ALL WHITE MEAT ground turkey, then you're going to get way less fat and calories.

Just because it says "ground turkey", it doesn't mean it's any better for you than ground beef. Again, read labels. Read ingredients. You want the ground WHITE MEAT turkey only, if you're watching fat and calories, that is. Otherwise, no, there's not going to be much difference between regular ground turkey and ground beef, except maybe for the taste.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #11  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Thanks everyone for all your help!
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #12  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

My mom wanted to make sloppy joes yesterday so I asked her to buy ground turkey for it....

She did just that, but she didn't check the packaging. It had WAAAAAY more calories and fat than any lean or extra lean beef I've bought lately. I guess I Should've told her to look for the label that says "Skin free"....*sigh* *rolls eyes*

I like to buy ground chicken and turkey as well because of the cholesterol...they do say to keep red meat to 1-2 times a week.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote