Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #1  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Ceasar Salad

Lately I have been craving Ceasar Salad ... but the dressing is oh so evil.

Does anyone have a *knock off* or something that resembles the creamy texture of it without the calories or the fat?

I have tried fat free ranch, but most are too vinegary.

Thanks
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #2  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't use low fat or fat free dressings on my salads. I have founda combo that I like that is a little more calorie friendly. I use 1 tablespoon of Caesar dressing {80 cals for the brand I use}and 5 sprays of the Wish Bone Caesar Dressing Spritzers. I usually use this combo on my chicken caesar salad. I just can't eat the light stuff by itself, yucky!!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also use regular dressings, but dilute them 1:1 with a good rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar (unseasoned, as the seasoned contains sugar). This cuts the calories in half (or makes them go twice as far, depending on how you look at it). If it's a little sharp, I'll add a little Splenda, but with rice wine vinegar, this usually isn't a problem because the vinegar is so mild.

For Caesar salads I mix a Caesar or Italian dressing with the rice wine vinegar, along with fresh minced garlic and about a tablespon of good italian grated cheese (not the kind in the cardboard tube). I like to use a blend of asiago and romano cheese. If I can get it freshly grated in the deli I will, because, eve though it's more expensive than the cheap stuff, it goes at least twice as far, because the flavor is so much stronger.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #4  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Oh, spritzers! I had totally forgotten about those ... I keep meaning to check them out. Then just add a bit of the real stuff for texture. Very good.

Cutting it with vinegars also sounds great. What a fantastic idea, I have some rice vinegar now. Soon, I am going to try it. Oh man, to be able to have a ceasar guilt free LOL

I don't put bacon in it, so that saves me a bit too
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Also, instead of croutons, I use wheat chex. Sometimes I spray them lightly with a little cooking spray and toss them with ranch dressing mix and/or garlic powder and bake them for a few minutes, but usually I just toss them in salads straight from the box.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Also, instead of croutons, I use wheat chex. Sometimes I spray them lightly with a little cooking spray and toss them with ranch dressing mix and/or garlic powder and bake them for a few minutes, but usually I just toss them in salads straight from the box.
That's a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #7  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Has anyone tried mixing their salad dressings with Z Trim? I just ordered it now, as several folks have been raving about it on here. Supposedly, you mix half of the Z trim with your salad dressing, mayo, sour cream, etc, and it cuts the fat in half as well as the calories. There is suppose to be no difference in taste, but some consistencies may be creamier, such as sour cream or cream cheese may be a bit more watery than it's normal consistancy. Best thing about it besides being all natural fiber- no calories! I can't wait to try it myself, as I can't stand "light" or "no fat" salad dressings. I can tolerate light mayo and light sour cream, but the salad dressings I just can't stomach.

I'll let you know how it works when it arrives. I just figured for those like me who are having a hard time stomaching lite or fat free salad dressings, that this might be an alternative that you may want to explore like myself.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #8  
Slowly Shrinking

S/C/G: 271/157/145

Height: 5'9"

Newman's Own makes a Light Caesar Dressing that has about 70 cals for 2 tablespoons if I remember correctly. It's really good.
Christine in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #9  
Meg

Give this a try - you can make it low fat or fat-free by using different mayonaises:

Caesar Dressing

1 cup mayonaise, reduced fat mayo, or FF mayo
2 T. olive oil
2 T. water
1/4 cup Eggbeaters
1.5 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. anchovy paste (optional)
2 cloves garlic
Splenda or Equal to equal 2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

Place all ingredients in food processor bowl fitted with steel knife. Process for a minute or so, until all ingredients are blended and dressing is creamy. Store in refregerator.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #10