Old 04-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Question Suggestions for Stepping Workouts

I got a step in December and have been using it at least a couple times a week and loving it but am getting tired of the only 2 videos that I have. I looked at clips on collagevideo for some new workouts but still can't decide which ones would be best for me.

I am 40 with not so great knees so I really don't like the ones that have you bouncing around and doing a lot of twisting such as side lunges off the step. At the same time I do want to have some fun!

The two workouts that I have right now, I really enjoy. One is Basic Step by Cathe and the other is Step Workout by Kathy Smith (made in 92). The Cathe one is probably my favorite. I find it fun but it does get old. The Kathy Smith one is also fun although the side lunges she does in the advanced section I replace with either straight lunges or just basic steps.

Any ideas from those of you who step? I would love some new workouts but can't afford to waste money on ones that I am not comfortable doing or that are so boring that I will let them sit in the cupboard!

Thanks!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #2  

Hi! Since you enjoyed the Cathe workout, let me suggest her Low Impact Step workout. It also includes a toning workout. If your Basic Step doesn't have the Body Fusion workout on it, you would like that one as well. Another one, possibly for later on, is Low Max. It is more intense, but all low impact. You could get it and do the pre-mix without the "blasts" to start.

Also, check out Gilad's step workout. A hunk of a man on a Hawaiian beach -- how can you do wrong? Basic stuff, and you can keep it low impact.

Crunch's step workout with Kendall Hogan is another basic one.

My step is my favorite gadget! I hope you find some workouts that help you enjoy yours.
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #3  

I have three videos that are in my current rotation that I just love:

Kathy Smith Step Workout, like you.
Gin Miller's Simply Step Classic Moves - 63 minutes
Charlene Prickett's Crazy for Step - 73 minutes

You can check out previews at www.collagevideo.com

Gin's is listed as mixed impact, but it is actually very low impact. A few optional higher impact moves are thrown in but you can continue with the original moves with no problem.. the higher ones are merely optional.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #4  

Thanks for your suggestions! It's so hard to pick a workout sometimes. A couple that both of you mentioned, I had thought about trying but I'm always worried about buying a really boring one or one that is way beyond me! I will go look at all mentioned workouts on collagevideo and add a couple more to my collection.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #5  

If you like cathe and have a VCR check out her website www.cathe.com she is getting rid of all her old VHS tapes and they are really cheap, especially since the DVDs retail at 50 bucks! Her older ones have easier choreogrpahy than the newer ones too.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #6  

Hey fikustrees Thanks! I will do that! Always looking for a bargain.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #7  

your welcome, I got a couple and they came really fast too!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #8  

Gin Miller recently came out with a Beginner's step aerobics DVD. It's a lot of fun and very good. Someone mentioned Gilad's step DVD and it is excellent as well.

Stepping is a lot of fun.

Cyl53
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #9  

Thanks Cyl53. I'll add that to my list also. I ordered one by Gilad and have a list of the other suggestions to check out as I can afford them!