Old 02-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #1  

Default What workout videos do you recommend?

I am approx. 380. Just started WW last week. I have the watp dvds and love them so far. There isnt a whole lot i can do without getting out of breath but these are a good start. However, i would like to add more to my workout library. I have the richard simmons tapes and havent tried them yet because i figure i am not ready for them yet. Ill get there. In the meantime, Anyone have any more recommendations?
tracyj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:50 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

The Biggest Loser Workout DVD is great. One DVD, several possible workouts. Even a built-in six week program. The two best points about it, IMO, are the "real" people doing it, making real-people mistakes, and the fact that a modification is always given. Best of all, though, is that it is pretty much a zero-coordination-needed thing. (I'm a Tae Bo dropout 'cause I don't have the coordination for it.)

I'm also loving Yoga Booty Ballet, but I wouldn't recommend that if you consider yourself a beginner still.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #3  

Thanks, i was just looking at that at walmart the other day. I was seriously thinking about getting it but didnt know if it was over my head.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #4  

Thumbs up

I have a good one, I got it at wal mart for around.... hmmm... $10 I think. It is by a company called GAIAM. It is called "Cardio Burn weight loss". The lady on the cover is Madeleine Lewis, she is wearing a pink top, navy pants and she has blonde hair just to the neck.

*It can be done in 10 minute segments, or all 3 at once for a 30 minute workout.

*It focuses on walking to lose weight.

*The moves are very simple, it is flexible so you can increase you intensity as you get into better shape-- but for sure it is the most do-able video I have ever seen for those who are out of shape.

I highly recommend it. I have to be careful of how crazy I get when I do a cardio workout.
I have a rapid heart beat, and I mean rapid. Resting is in the 90's most of the time. If my heart gets out of whack it will beat up to 250 times a minute and I am getting a visit from a paramedic with a stabilizing shot. If I go too hard on a workout, the heart goes nuts- this has been awesome. I break a heavy sweat and I can feel my heart beating faster, but not so much that I feel faint or sick.

Best of luck to you.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #5  

Richard Simmons has a workout called Sit Tight. It can be done in a chair, and I am told you get quite a good sweat from it. I think it is under 30 minutes long. I know of others in your weight range who began with that workout and got really great results! You might try doing his workouts you already have from a chair as well. Just do all the arm movements and move the legs as much as you can.

Good job on working to improve your health!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #6  

i would recommend watp to start and once you gain strength and endurance to move onto the biggest loser or richard simmons.
canadian*girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

If you are looking for something a bit different, Neena and Veena's Bellydance for Beginners - Basic Moves is something that I was able to do a good bit of at my highest weight. I had to modify some of the moves (still do), but am able to do most of it.

WATP is definitely good. I also like just turning on the TV and doing some of the WATP moves. Sometimes it really helps to get caught up in an exciting TV show.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #8  
one leg press at a time

I would recommed The Firm Basics. These are out of print but can usually be found on ebay or swap lists. They run about 45 minutes each and are great for getting back in the groove of working out. One is cardio based, one is lower body focuses and the other is total body tone focued. Fat Burning, Abs, Buns and Thighs, and Total Body Sculpting are the names I think.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I have "Dance off the Inches: Calorie Blasting Party", and I really like it! It takes a few times before you get the steps down, but I've been doing it since I was at 330 pounds!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #10  

Hi. I think that the Leslie SanSone Walking dvd's are good for beginner walker. I need to lose around 100 lbs and I found that these dvd's work really good.
fost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I would also reccomend bellydancing DVD's. It is practically zero impact and the movements are very gently and natural for a woman's body. While other people don't care for Rania, I do and I really like her Bellydance for Weight Loss 4 disc set. You can find it on ebay for around $20. Two of the DVD's are easier and 2 are harder so there is room for advancement as you lose/get in shape.

I would also reccommend lifting weights. That is something that is zero impact and has a lasting weight loss effect. Look on ebay for Denise Austin's Hit the Spot series. They are older VHS's that contain 3 or 4 10 minute workouts. Each VHS is a different area of the body (I think 4 total). Also she has another series called Get Fit Fast that you can buy older on VHS or she just re-released them on one DVD.

Good Luck!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #12  

kayley,

The dance off the inches sounds interesting. Where did you get it?

BTW, thanks everyone for such good recommendations. I am starting to love working out. Bye Bye pounds.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #13  

If you like dancing type videos, try Crunch's fat burning dance party, the whole workout lasts about 45 min, but can be broken down into 3 different
15 min. workouts. I got it at Target for less than $10.
Good Luck! and Congrats on getting healthier!
DEZINERJEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #14  

GAIAM has great stuff. I have used their yoga and Pilates DVDs at different points. I also got 2 DVDs from Weight Watchers when I joined. Their beginner workouts are low impact and easy to follow. A resistance band can be an easy way to start strength training--you don't have to buy dumbells and they come with instructions. A good solid one with a door hook is about $10-12.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/166/135

I've tried every kind of gimmicky video/diet. But if you wanna see really great results & have alot of fun I suggest Turbo Jam. I get bored very quickly with exercise. I've tried everything from Jane Fonda to Power 90 to TaeBo (which worked but got boring after a while). Turbo Jam is soooo much fun. I look forward to working out now but it doesn't feel like a workout. The music is fun & Chalene Johnson (the instructor) gets you pumped. I lost about 2" off my waist in about a week & saw definition in my abs after the first couple of weeks. I've combined that with Nutrisystem & I'm down 17lbs in about 6weeks. I feel amazing & I LOVE Turbo Jam.
wickedgrl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote