Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Chalean vs P90x vs?

I was considering looking into a DVD 'program' and see there are quite a few options. I'm not exactly sure if I'd follow through on a program and I noticed Costco had a 4 pack of Jari Love DVDs for $24.99.

Does anyone know the difference between things like P90x and Chalean and whatever else? Are they really worth the price?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

P90x will get u results: but very challenging. Before I fell off the wagon, it got me fit and lean: but there were still several parts of some videos I couldn't do (pull ups, some crazy push ups).
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #3  
Cat

S/C/G: 198/T/135

Height: 5'9"

I have done both programs and like them both for different reasons. I am a woman so you may want to keep that in mind (I have seen some people call ChaLEAN Extreme the P90X for women). Here is my 'short' .02 cents on each...

P90X

Very comprehensive and varied (which is good for keeping up interest). The workouts are all about 60 minutes and the expectation is that you'll work out 6 days a week - so make sure you keep that in mind before you start. The videos are comprised of both cardio and weights plus stretching, abs and yoga.

Even if you are not very fit to start with there are ways to modify and you'll still be getting a good workout. For example, I still can't do a pull-up or push-ups without being on my knees. That being said if you have never really worked out or are really out of shape you may want to try something a bit easier first.

ChaLEAN Extreme (CLX)

This is also a 'program', but the videos are shorter (30-40 minutes). Don't let this completely fool you though. In most of the CLX weight videos you will be using both upper and lower body at the same time. P90X does not do that. In the regular package there are 2 cardio DVD's and a stretch and ab workout.

IMO, the cardio included with this program are not as intense. My second round of CLX I substituted in longer and more strenuous cardio workouts.

Overall

You are going to get more DVDs in the P90X program. I was able to do more of the CLX weight routines than P90X - I am still working towards more of the higher level moves. It may seem like you need more 'stuff' for the P90X program (e.g., pull-up bar, weights, bands, etc.), but I needed a much wider range of weights for CLX than I did P90X. In much of P90X you are using your own body weight as resistance. CLX may not be as comprehensive as P90X in terms of workouts included, but you will get a good workout and see results with both. I personally like Chalene as an instructor a bit more than Tony Horton, but that's a personal preference.
catgeraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #4  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

I've been doing Insanity religiously for 4 weeks. I've lost 2 inches off my waist, 1 off my hips and 1 off of each thigh. I look different too, everyone keeps saying how fit I look and my mom said while I was home for Christmas: "Look how flat your belly is!"

To be fair though, the scale has only budged 3 lbs. I've been wayyyy hungrier than usual so I've definitely been eating more. I'm going to go ahead and blame it on gaining muscle mass though.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #5  
Sensewear and WW

S/C/G: 230/195.2/164

Height: 5'9"

I completely agree with the review that catgeraghty gave. I have tried both and while P90X was an incredible workout there were definitely parts that I could not do and find that I am much more comfortable with the CLX videos. P90X reminds me a bit more of a traditional gym workout where CLX I find to be a bit more fun and I like that she has you work both upper and lower body at the same time. I really like Chalene as an instructor and I also add in some of her Turbo Jam videos during the week to get in a bit more Cardio. Ultimately, I really don't think you can go wrong with either program and I have also heard good things about Insanity (which I may get on down the road).

Last edited by nellonello; 01-04-2010 at 11:35 PM.
nellonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the info. It does sound like P90x would be more my style.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote