Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #31  
Rah Rah Red Team!

S/C/G: 188/181/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, an interesting development at least...
I wasn't sore when the time rolled around to do my shredding for the evening!
That was a relief. I guess my body just decided that it knew I was going to punish it anyway, so why make the worst of it.

I didn't pause a single time tonight, but I still wasn't able to do all of the push-ups. I did the first set okay, but when the second set came around my arms literally wouldn't hold me up. We made a compromise and settled on a plank position. I'm all for extra ab work (I used to train my abs pretty heavily in HS so these one minute sections aren't doing anything for me).
I feel really good tonight.
I skipped Jillian's abridged cool-down and substituted my own, longer version. Hopefully that will help with any soreness tomorrow.

3/30 done!
LakeEffectKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Welcome, Tori! Have you noticed the exercises getting any easier?
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 AM   #33  
Rah Rah Red Team!

Not much to report on this shred, which is always good! Got a good sweat, got to feel the burn on those lateral lunges, got chaffed shoulders from my sports bra(s). The same deal with the push ups today; I did the first set, then switched to the plank for the second set. My favorite part of this routine is the chest fly, by far. I feel like such a beast when I do them! I actually wish I had some heavier weights for them. I'm also considering holding onto my weights when I do the "boxing" cardio, to maybe help recoup some of the upper body/arm workout I'm missing with that second set of push ups. By the end of it I don't know if it'll even be the same workout .

Well, anyway. Day 4/30 done and 'well on my way to being shredded' .
Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #34  

So, now, both kids are sick, but the baby has especially been needy. When I finally got everyone happy and napping yesterday afternoon, I completely FORGOT to shred! So, I'm thinking I'll take my "weekend" yesterday and today, then start back in on Sunday.

I'm still down two pounds since starting. One day, I was down three.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 180/160

Hi all. This might actually be my first post... I don't know. I'm a chronic lurker everywhere.

I've been doing the Shred (sort of) for about 2-3 weeks. I only do it 3-4 days a week, though, when I have the house to myself. I'm still doing Level 1, but I have tried Level 2. I find some things really hard and some too easy. The first day I did it I was so sore I almost died. Now, after maybe 10 workouts, I barely feel it the next day. I am thinking of moving up a level but I still have real trouble with certain moves. I am strong but my coordination sucks so I like the simplicity of the moves in Level 1.

I do pretty well with the pushups - I can do five "real" good form pushups before collapsing, so I usually get 3 sets of 5 done in each of Jillian's "sets". There is no way I could do them all the way through without stopping, though! Still, that means I'm doing 30 each time, which isn't bad, I guess!

I use 8lb. weights, which I find just about right. I do use a lot of modifications, though. Does anybody else do this? I don't necessarily modify it to make things easier - some of her weighted arm moves do nothing for me (bicep curls with only 8lbs??), so I swap in harder arm moves and keep the same leg action. I also find that the fake "jumping rope" portion of the cardio makes my calves seize up terribly, so I sometimes swap in the "skaters" cardio from Level 2. Actually, I have problems with my calves in all the straight jumping cardio moves, so when it hurts too much I swap around and do extra "butt-kicks", etc. Basically I am using Jillian's moves and her timing, but not in the same order. Does anyone think this is a problem? I definitely sweat like **** when I do the workout.

My biggest problem is with lunges. I fractured one of my kneecaps a long time ago, and I find it completely impossible to do forward lunges on that side. My knee twists and I feel all the weight in my joint, not in my quads/butt. I'm scared to do lunges on that side, and I don't want to do only one side! So I do squats or more side lunges (those work fine, for some reason!) when she does the forward lunges, and use the same arm moves (or harder ones from a higher level).

Also, I find her ab tracks not long/hard enough, so often I do an extra minute of abs while Jillian has gone onto cardio (or whatever), and then when I get up off the floor I rewind the DVD back so I don't miss anything.

Wow... it sounds like I'm not even doing the same workout, now that I think about it. Does anyone else modify this much? Am I just a control freak?

My diet is terrible right now, so I haven't noticed any changes on the scale, but I definitely see changes in the mirror. When I looked at myself in the mirror after my shower this morning, and sucked in my gut, it disappeared completely! I have 10-15 pounds to lose before I hit my "goal" but I am more interested in getting smaller and jiggling less than set on a certain number. I definitely see this DVD helping.

Long post, sorry!

Take care,
An
andream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #36  

An, I think your modifications are great! You're still following the basic idea and, most importantly, you're doing it! Have you considered pausing the video for a minute of extra ab work instead of stopping to rewind? I've wanted to do some extra ab work myself.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #37  
Rah Rah Red Team!

Hey andream, (I like your name )
I modify Jillian's workouts a decent amount too, but I still consider it shredding. Like LessEveryDay said, what matters is that you're doing it. If you're giving it all you've got and getting a good sweat in, I'm willing to call it the shred.

as a point of interest, I also find the ab portions of the video a bit lackluster so I've been substituting the plank position for added ab work. Whatever rubs your Buddha and gets your heart a-rocking, I say!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

I'm still tryin to get some energy together to even do the Shred, even with high protein stuff seems my energy is still low. I started on some diff vitamins to see if it works cause my other ones didn't seem to do crap, LOL.. but they are called VitaClear, comes with Proactiv as a free gift, dunno if any have heard of it or used it but hoping they work. I had much more energy when I was taking diet pills in the past, sucks that they turned out to be unhealthy.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #39  
Rah Rah Red Team!

Super tired. Not much of an update . Day 5/30 done. My last day on the shred (assuming I continue everyday) will be the first. Super excited!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #40  

HI everyone,

this thread is getting busy.

did my 11th workout on Friday. took Sat. off and yet I am still tired in a good way

JeallyBean: Forget about the vitamins, the protein, and all the other excuses. go wear your snikers and start shredding.
dsamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsamy View Post
HI everyone,

this thread is getting busy.

did my 11th workout on Friday. took Sat. off and yet I am still tired in a good way

JeallyBean: Forget about the vitamins, the protein, and all the other excuses. go wear your snikers and start shredding.

Well I'm having a bad start to my morning because my USB card died in my computer and no money to get another one because nobody will freakin hire me.. so I will just have to take all my anger and SHRED it away, LOL
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 AM   #42  

Workout no. 12 done

JellyBean: go girl. How did you find it, are you still alive LOL
Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #43  
Rah Rah Red Team!

Woo! I feel like that guy that you bump into at a party who doesn't really seem to know where he is or how he got there, and keeps trying to find the door only to get sucked into talking about the Oprah book club or some ****like that.

Yeah. That's how my whole freaking day went.

BUT. . . I still got away for 20 minutes and did the shred. Today was day 6 and I must say, I'm not working up quite the sweat I have been in the last few days. I'm not sure if that's a happy thing or not but since I move forward to level 2 in a few days, I'll take it!

Nothing to report, getting easier, getting stronger. seeing . . . changes .

6/30 done!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 AM   #44  

Workout no. 13 : Done

Lakeeffectkid: come on girl what changes are you seeing.......details please. BTW, are you doing the moves based on anita or nat?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #45  
Rah Rah Red Team!

My power went out right as I was about to start the shred. But guess what?

I did it anyway!

Going by my watch I did all the moves (3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs) and still managed to get a great sweat going (better than the last couple of days with the video actually) because I didn't take nearly as much time between the moves as I do when I'm watching the vid and doing the moves.

dsamy:
The only moves I'm doing Anita's way are the push-ups. For everything else (lunges and such) I'm doing them Natalie's way.
I was going to wait until the end of my 30 days (I haven't missed a day of shredding yet !!) to share the changes I've seen. But I'm just too freakin' excited !! It's been seven days so I think that's a good interval for an update.

Only (only?) lost 2.6 lbs in 7 days; however. . .

My beginning measurements:
Chest: 45 inches
Waist: 34.5 inches
Hips: 44.5 inches
Arms: 13.25 inches
Legs: 25.5 inches

My measurements today:
Chest: 43 inches (-2 inches!)
Waist: 32.5 (-2 inches!)
Hips: 43 inches (-1.5 inches !)
Arms: 12.5 inches (-.75 inch!)
Legs: 25 inches (-.5 inch!)

So there it is. Those are the changes I've seen. In 7 days. With 23 left to go.