Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #61  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Well Mrs. Flip...hope you don't mind me shortening your nominclature...let me know if you prefer another one....welcome to the group and #1 thing to do is to GET RID OF THAT JAR OF NUTELLA. It is a dangerous, dangerous item!!!! Give it away, throw it away, let your husband take it to his office, whatever it takes. I remember when my daughter came back from Holland and had been playing volley ball there for a month through some program. She was constantly eating Nutella-type spreads that she brought back...topped with some kind of shaved chocolate. If it hadn't been for the volleyball I think she would have gained 10 pounds in a month. Those spreads are very very dangerous, should be outlawed. Unfortunately, taste even better on a finger than on a knife [grin].

Tina, I've heard the duct tape cure also, and it's worth a try. I had a plantars wart in core of my foot, could barely stand to walk...the doctor tried freezing it and then ended up having to cut it out, which laid me up for a month and then it didn't heal right, which caused discomfort for a year. So...worth trying small cures before going for any big one...

Steph...love your quote....guess it can apply to art also....if only I could make a living at it. Glad your trip went well. Have been thinking about a circuit but didn't get a chance to try to figure one out for you. Will work on it this week.

Haven't gone outside but here it's brutally hot as well.

Am feeling a little down. Went out shopping with friends yesterday, and kept looking in the mirrors and seeing this bottom-heavy middle aged woman and it depressed me no end. I have got to get this weight off and back to my lifting heavy duty to firm up what's left. I have just GOT TO! I keep this image inside of what I will look like but it's hard to maintain the momentum of eating correctly all the time. I've started chewing gum to keep my mouth busy...maybe that will help.

Cheers, Susan
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #62  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Mrshillflipper I agree with Susan....and as Dr.Phil would say..."what were you thinking?" haha....gotta love those 6lb jars!!! I am a choco lover so I know what you mean. Would it be healthier dipping it with celery? mmmm, let me think about it.

Susan....don't get too down on yourself. You've come a long way and you're doing such a great job!!!I too went shopping yesterday (to kill some time) and tried some clothes on and was getting discouraged that I ranged 3 sizes. Talk about depressing!!! No more of that or I WILL get angry!!!Clothing companies should all get together and make uniform sizes. ggrrrrr

Just got back from the gym and I could barely breathe the air is so hot and heavy!!! Holy cow....thank goodness I was the only one at the gym and could hog the fans while I ran on the treadmill. !!!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #63  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Welcome Mrs. Hilliflipper!!! I hope you gain some insight from us. I agree throw the jar away! I do things like that all the time at the time it does not seem so bad but once you stop to think about it you see how silly it was to even but it in the first place.

Susan this is the first time I have heard you down on yourself. I think we all have those days were we feel bad about ourselves. I know for me I am also heavy on the bottom so when I go shopping with people I always get frustated when they just try something on and it fits and I have such a hard time. Look at it this way when we get to were we want to be we are going to have some awesome curves. I always compare myself to other people and get down on myself for not looking like them. You are doing great though so just stick with it and you will be talking about how you are a hot mama. I also think it helps to look at how far we have come already.

Well my walking partner and I decided it is to hot to walk outside so I am on my own tonight to get my butt on the treadmill. I will do it but I doubt it will be for 4 miles. I get so bored on my treadmill that is why I like walking with someone. We flap our yaps and a hour is over before we know it.

Angel great job on getting to the gym. I am in two different sizes right now so don't feel alone. Keep up your good work.

Steph I am glad you had a good trip. Don't worry about 1 pound you will have that off in a day or so. Keep up your good work!

Talk with you all later! Tina
Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 185/157/145

Thank you all for being so welcoming!

Susan, I know how you feel! People always tell me "oh, you're shaped like a pair" and I am always saying "Pair?!?! Are you kidding? I passed being shaped like a pair a long time ago! I have moved on to resembling the cast-iron skillet that my Grandmother gave me!" I once read this add "My butt is big and round like the letter C and ten thousand lunges have made it rounder but not smaller and that's just fine. It is a space heater for my side of the bed. It's my ambassador to those who walk behind me. It's a border collie that herds skinny women away from the best deals at clothing sales. My butt is big and that's just fine and those who might scorn it are invited to kiss it."
I have always loved it! It just reminds me of the purpose it serves! Just remember to keep going, look how far you've gone! Maybe because you and I share the same "problem" area we could make some goal together...something like 270 lunges a week (that would be 3 reps of 30 lunges, three times a week)?

Angle-Eyes, you're a genius!!! Why didn't I think of dipping my celery in Nutella!?!??!?! Besides, "they" say that because of the fiber in celery you actually burn more calories digesting it...oh; I see where this could go...You all are right, I'll have to part with my beloved jar of chocolate goodness. It was great while it lasted but all good things must come to an end. Besides, it will never taste as good as getting the weight off will feel.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #65  

Re: bottomheaviness....may grandmother used to say, shaped like a schmoo, well balanced, will never tip over. A Schmoo, for you young'uns, was a character created by a cartoonist named Al Capp in the 40's...little white bowling pin-shaped creatures with legs.

Was supposed to start with a new pt client this morning but she called and cancelled, after I had gotten all the equipment set up...rescheduled for this evening....so I couldn't even work out myself because I would have ended up going to work sweaty and smelly. Oh well, will work out after she finishes tonight.

Flip, ove your quote! I don't do lunges because of a bad knee, but I do do squats...at least 100 every other day, with that exercise I suggested to Stephie. Unfortunately I think my body is getting too efficient at them...I don't even work up a sweat. Maybe I can figure out some sort of modified lunge, just to shake up my body a little. Amazing how efficient the body can get when you do the same exercises continuously. That's why its good to vary your routine every month or so.

Tina, have you ever seen those indoor walking tapes put out by Leslie Sansone...Walk away the Pounds....I have a few, and they're not bad when you're stuck in the house. I think I bought mine at target. They have them for 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, and I think 4 miles.

Have a great day all.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #66  
Red Team Member

Good morning ladies! Well yesterday was the first day back on track food wise. I did great! I am back to journeling my food and that always works for me. Exercise was supposed to be a walk with weights. The walk got skipped due to the heat and the weights got done so not a total wash. I think it is going to be cooler today so a walk will be tonight. I have heard of those tapes I guess I just never understood how you walk 4 miles standing in place. I will have to go and have a look at them though.

Mrs. Hilliflipper I love that quote from yesterday! I was cracking up while reading it. It was good to beable to laugh at something the usually makes me so upset.

Susan I hope you are feeling better today. Don't you hate when people cancel at the last min. Well at least you will have your morning free.

Angel hope your husband is feeling better. There is nothing worse then a migraine. I hope it is going to be cooler for you today.

Stephie hope all is going well for you.

Well ladies I am off to the doctor today to see about my foot. I can not take the pain anymore. Wish me luck as I will be bringing all three kids with me. This should be interesting. Well I hope you all have a great day!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #67  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Morning ladies. Yesterday was a big old flop. Calorie cycling is the name of the game today starting with skipping this mornings cuppa coffeeeeee (yes I know sad) Some friends came over last night so did not get my run in. I am sooooo bummed. I am going to try getting it done on my lunch hour, but it has been super hot here so we will see. Then maybe I can fit some tennis in...it has been ages since I played.

The scale is still behaving at just the one lb gained this weekend...3 days to turn it around. I think weekly weigh ins are really helping.

angel - wow 100+ that is crazy hot. I do not blame you for making a bee line for the gym. Work that air conditioning huh?

mrshillflipper - Welcome, I just joined in as well and these ladies are great. I think you will like it here.

susan - Have you tried the gallery circuit? I sometimes market my more creative photos that way. Usually you just have to frame/mat them however you would be selling them and bring them in to be judged by the owners and sometimes a panel. If they like it then they give you space to sell your art and take a commission on what you sell. The commission is usually pretty high but since people are buying in an art gallery I usually just up my normal price by the commission amount and viola no change to my wallet. DOn't be too down on yourself hun you are almost there!

Tina - Have you tried listening to music on the treadmill? Sometimes a good soundtrack can be just as good as a good conversation.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #68  

Stephie, haven't done many shows yet with my art...just getting into painting and not ready yet. Was a fiber artist, managed a cooperative gallery at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA, then did jewelry making and sold out of some shops, but am now into papermaking, collage, and just started the painting thing. And all of that is on hold while I pursue this personal training direction. I have this image of my retirement that I keep in front of me....working half time at personal training and the rest of my time with my artwork....only two years to go! It seems like an eternity, but since I'm working towards it...progress is being made.

This morning went to the gym...did intervals on the elliptical and cross trainer and then came back and did my lower body routine. I'm ready for the day!

Hope you get your run in, Stephie. Tina, the tapes aren't all that bad....she varies the walking with different kinds of steps and speeds. You can turn the sound off and listen to your own music while watching. Flip, I can't get the vision of my butt as a border collie out of my head, love it! Angel, how are you doing? Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #69  
Red Team Member

Good morning ladies! Well yesterday I went to the doctor and she froze my wart off. I am hoping I don't have to go back but she said I may need one more treatment. As long as the thing stops hurting I really don't care. Yesterday was another great day for exercise and eating. I got my 4 mile walk in and ate way under calories yesterday. I think I am going to try calorie cycling for a bit and see how I do with that. I just find that some days I eat over my limit and some days are under so I guess I am already sort of doing it. I am going to read up a bit more on it though.

Susan you make it to the gym really early huh? I am not one to get up with a smile and start moving. I usually need to sit for about a hour before I can even think about the day. I am not a coffee drinker so I usually sit and watch the news. Good job getting your work out in for the day.

Stephie I hope you got to get your run in. I hate when I have something in my head that I want to do and then it gets postponed. I hope you had a nice night with your friends though. I have always thought tennis would be fun to learn how to play. I would play a little when I was a kid but just always goofing around with it. I will have to look into it some more.

Angel and Mrs.Hilliflipper I hope all is going good with you this week.

Well for me today I am going to get on that treadmill if it kills me and I have weights to do so that is it for me today. It is supposed to be another hot one so I am sticking close to home. Well I hope you all have a great day!

Tina
Old 07-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 185/157/145

Well good morning ladies!!!

Tina, I hope your feet start feeling better! There is nothing worse than grumpy feet! What is this calorie cycling you talked about?

Stephie, I don't know how you do it!?!? I used to run all of the time but I would rather chew out my own tongue than go running! Do you get the "runners high?"

Well, I hate to disappoint you all...but I didn't throw away the Nuttella until last night...and that was only after I ate the stuff for two more nights...I know, I am week…but it was so yummy! But the stuff, and the loaf of bread, is out of the house and I am telling myself I must get back on track. I did go for a walk with the hubby and went to my belly dancing class so I may have worked off a piece of bread or two and at least ONE serving of the chocolate goodness.

Well, I have to get back to business. I hope you all have a wonderful morning!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #71  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Good morning ladies. More than made up for my bad day calorie wise yesterday. I did not get my run in as I dropped something on my foot and now it is bruised pretty badly. Only light cardio for me yesterday. I did get about an hours worth of tennis in last night.

Not much in store for me today. Have to work the at home job then do some research for an assignment for tomorrow. Only two more days till the end of the week thank god!

susan - I think your vision of retirement would be very fullfilling. What different fields though huh?

tina - you should look into tennis. it is so fun that sometimes I forget it is exercise. Great going yesterday! I try to calorie cycle as well, works well for some people.

mrshillflipper - Don't get the wrong idea of me now lol...about 2 months ago when I started this running program I could not run for 30 seconds. But I wanted to master it since it was SO HARD. So here I am...I can run about 3 miles. I don't get the runners high per say, but I love the feeling of running fast without it being hard work. Especially when out on a nice trail you just feel so peaceful. Like you are a little kid just running in your backyard.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #72  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Morning girls!!...How is everyone today? Well wonders upon wonders, I woke up to find TOM!!! blech! Hate him. Anyways, I'm taking today as a (much needed) day of rest. If anything today, I might get some good ol' walking in on the treadmill. Not much though..... Just did my 'Martha' for the day. We have these fabulous peach tree's in the backyard that we inherited a year ago (when we moved here) and the peaches ARE FABULOUS!! Nothing like the typical clingstone peaches in a can, these are much smaller and white inside. Last year unfortunately, we ate some but not knowing what to do with them, most spoiled or the birds/rabbits got to them. Well today I had the boys out peach picking and we blanched them, skinned them, pitted and sliced them....AND FROZE THEM!!! What a process, but now we have lots of yummy fresh peaches anytime. We probably did about 10 dozen with lots more on the trees still to ripen. It gives a new appreciation to DelMonte !!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #73  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Ok so my address for you to send some of those peaches is....just kidding. How great to have a tree in your back yard. I am from the big city, this is my first summer in a rural area. You just reminded me I should go out to the farmers market this weekend!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #74  

Good morning all! Didn't get to work out this morning...woke around 4, and started cleaning house in anticipation of my grandbaby's arrival on Saturday. She's only 14 months, and just walking, so I've got to clean up all the junk that's sitting around on the floor, as well as clearing low surfaces. Went back to sleep and awoke too late to do any exercise. Hope to get my upper body work in tonight. Am back down to 159...so am pleased....hope I can drop more by the end of the weekend. Have got to keep this momentum going.

Oh, I want some of those peaches! They sound divine. I'm with Stephie...if you start a mailing, I'll give you my address. I used to have blueberry bushes in the backyard...that was great fun when the kids were little...going out and picking our own berries. Unfortunately, after so many years, they've all died. Now tomatoes and basil are about all I tend to.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Susan
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #75  
Red Team Member

Good morning ladies! Well hold on to your pants because I actually got on my treadmill yesterday. I have not been on that thing in months since I have been walking outside. I took your advice Steph and put my headset on and just walked. I will admit I only walked for 27 min. and that was a bit over a mile and a half for me. I just got so bored on the thing. I am used to having my partner pushing me along. I also did my weights though and that was about 40 min. so I think all in all a good work out day. As for the food I went a bit higher then I would have liked but I made tacos and that is like my all time favorite thing so I splurged a bit. I will keep the count lower today though so it will hopefully balance out. So how are you all doing? Tommorow is weigh in and I am really hoping to see some downward movement on the scale.

Angel I am with the girls those peaches sound yummy. It sounds like alot of work though so if I were you I would keep them and enjoy them year round. I hope all is going good for you this week.

Susan how fun to have your grandbaby come over. Is it really true that with the grandkids it is funner. I sometimes have to tell myself things like that when my youngest 2 1/2 is driving me insane. Everyone always tells me though enjoy them it goes by so fast but to me it seems like sometimes it is in slow motion. I love all three of them to death but sometimes I could pull my hair out when they all agrue and whine. I guess that is just part of the job though and I am lucky because over all they all are really good kids not to mention all adoreable. Congrats on getting back to 159. Don't you hate though when you are so close to the edge. I always like to get in a safe zone as I call it. I played with bouncing between 158-160 for so long and then finally I broke through it. Cleaning at 4 in the morning you are a early riser huh? No thank you! Well I hope you have a good day!

Steph I hope your foot is feeling better. That stinks when a injury slows you down. I hope it starts to heal fast for you. Have a good day!

Mrs. Hilliflipper belly dancing huh? Do you take a class or is it a video you do at home? Calorie cycling as I understand it is you eat higher on some days and lower on others and that way it keeps tricking your body. I guess the key though is to find your groove. I am going to try it for awhile and see how it goes. I will give you a example though of what I should aim for the week. M-1710 T-1368 W-2052 Th-1710 F-1539 Sat-1881 Sun-1710 If you are interested search calorie cycling and there are a bunch of sites to look at.

For me today exercise will include the treadmill and hopefully I can stay on it longer. I am going to pick a peppy cd to listen to. Hope you all have a great day!
Closed Thread