Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #1  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Default How much does a Feather weigh?

At what point do you consider yourself a featherweight? I don't consider myself one...yet! Weight wise, I'm 150 on a 5'5" frame. If that was all muscle, it might be nice but it's not. Size wise, I'm squeezing myself into10/12. I refuse to buy a new wardrobe again this year. I was size 4/6 and 130 last year and for at least 15 years before that. So about 20-25 pounds to lose for me. If I get there again maybe then I'll be a featherweight.
SSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks SS for starting the this thread...

My feather weighs 10-15#... Which I have been hanging on to for OVER a year now, NOT good ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm a bit timid and cautious about posting here. Although I don't weight much, I have a devil of a time staying down near goal and don't consider myself to have yet taken hold of it
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #4  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

I am not a featherweight either, i dont know how much I weigh, probably around 140? At just under 5'4". I carry weight horribly, and I feel like I look the size of at least a person and a half. I dont want to post in the normal support area really because of that post about how people who arent as heavy as others complaining about their bodies is making the bigger ladies feel bad... so Ive been trying to post on this site frequented by these super skinny teenagers who starve themselves... but to them, I AM an enormous monster and I dont think they want to talk to me... so I dont really think I have anywhere that Im welcome to express to others how bad I feel about myself and thought maybe this group would be somewhere between the others?

Anyway, I just came from the bathroom (at work) and I HATE going in there and being reminded how THICK I am :O(. Im trying to tell myself how each day Im getting further and further away from that body.

On a positive note, the ring Ive worn for the past couple of years is getting to be where its too big for me to wear!! It bounces around on my finger. Im going to wear it until it falls off though, hehe... cause I like the reminder it serves to me that Im making progress. :O)
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 147.6/145.4/130

Default Sounds all too familiar

I, too, used to be about 130-135 last year and wore a size 4-6, and I'm 5'6"....I foolishly tried to start bodybuilding and it completely ruined how my body loses weight and made me put on about 15 pounds. I've been hovering around 145lb for about 7 months and my body is being stubborn to try and get back down to around 130 so I can fit into all of my clothes in my closet. My legs are the worst and I refuse to buy new jeans/pants because I still have cute pants that fit...last year. Word to the wise: if anyone is doing low-carb dieting (like I did when I was trying to become a bodybuilder) make SURE you ease back into a normal way of eating, or you'll make the same mistake I did without even knowing about it :/
mdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #6  
Healthy Living

mdust, please share! My DH wants to do Body for Life when his bursitis clears up. Should I be concerned about that? What was your body-building experience?

I too feel bad when I gripe about my body when there are ladies here who've lost as much as I weigh. It humbles me.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdust
I, too, used to be about 130-135 last year and wore a size 4-6, and I'm 5'6"....I foolishly tried to start bodybuilding and it completely ruined how my body loses weight and made me put on about 15 pounds. I've been hovering around 145lb for about 7 months and my body is being stubborn to try and get back down to around 130 so I can fit into all of my clothes in my closet. My legs are the worst and I refuse to buy new jeans/pants because I still have cute pants that fit...last year. Word to the wise: if anyone is doing low-carb dieting (like I did when I was trying to become a bodybuilder) make SURE you ease back into a normal way of eating, or you'll make the same mistake I did without even knowing about it :/
So, I hope what you're saying here is that it's the too low carb eating and getting back into eating higher probably overly processed carbs, that made you gain weight, and not the "foolish" weight training as you said, that made you gain the weight back?...
Old 05-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

My feather weighs at least 20lbs, if not more at the moment! However in the long term and looking at everything else, if ain't a HUGE feather - that's why it's taking so long to shift!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #9  

My feather fluctuates between 12-14 pounds. This week it's 14 because we ate out for Mother's Day. The closer you are to your goal, the harder it is to lose. Sigh

On the weight lifting note: I have been weight lifting for a few years. My body has really changed- went from a size 18 to an 11-12. It really does work. Even if the weight may not go dramatically down, the inches disappear and muscle magically appears.

How fast this might happen depends on many factors, other than lifting. Weight lifting can only help the process along.

My problem is that I like to eat...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

NortherBelle -- I hear you on the eating... I weight train, do cardio regularly and swim and still, because of eating I just don't go down on the scale. Even if I eat healthy foods I eat too much of it
Old 05-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #11  

Hello Ladies,

I've just found this thread and I may fit in. I've got 11kg to go (about 20lbs). I'd lost a bit more last month, but went away and it seems to have magically reappeared! Hopefully I can get a bit more motivation here!

Meg
megsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #12  
Healthy Living

Hi Meg! What are you doing to get smaller?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #13  

I did SBD for a while and it worked well, but going onto P2 caused havoc! I tried P1 again last week, but I'm now so sick of veggie quiche for breakfast, it's just not funny! Now I'm back to WW with some of the SBD incorporated (protein at every meal, only wholegrain bread etc). I'm also doing 30min cardio a night for this week and will add weights back in next week. I feel like I've lost again, but will only know on sunday am when I weigh in. What plan are you on SSarah?

Meg
megsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #14  
Healthy Living

Currently I'm not on any particular plan which is probably why I haven't lost any pounds. My hope is to change my lifestyle by eating healthier (whole grains, veggies, lean, etc.) and exercising regularly (3-5x weekly.)

Progress I've made towards that goal is eating better and counting calories. It's really surprised me how many calories I take in on a typical day (2300-2800.) I struggle to eat only when I'm hungry and not when I'm bored. I've made plans to start Monday on the Eat to Live 6-week diet with some other chicks. Plus I have an exercise buddy as of yesterday.

I feel good about what I'm eating but I need to watch the amount. I'd feel better if I walked more. I'm just proud that I'm here b/c unlike any other time in the past, I feel like I might actually become a healthier person. It's the support and accountability that I find here that I've been missing.

Last edited by SSarah; 05-17-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Default Hi All!

I just found this thread and just wanted to say "hey." I've posted in other areas, but recently haven't been posting as often as I used to (I still lurk though). I'm so glad this thread got started. I feel humbled as well by those who have lost what I weigh, and I also find them to be one of my greatest sources of inspiration. I've been wanting to post an nsv, but haven't because I've been concerned about how it might make others feel who are still further back on their weight loss journeys.

So, if you don't mind, I finally went shopping since I needed some dresses for some weddings coming up, and I now know what sizes I can wear.
I bought two dresses; one is a 6 and one is a 4!! This is quite an improvement from a 12/14.

Also, I went from a 36DD bra to a 36D. Yay! I dropped a letter! I finally bought my first ever fun and sexy bra - it's made of denim and lace! (Goodness, I remember having to wear those bras that come in a box!)

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I know I wouldn't feel great reading about someone getting into a size 4 while I was still up at 160 pounds. These last 10 pounds are hanging on for dear life, but I know I'll get them off eventually.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote