Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #16  

Default Update

So it looked like I fell off the map, but I didn't!

I still have the same goals, largely to loose about 10-15 pounds, stop pushing off that goal due to fears (such as the initial anxiety of weighing myself!), and feel in control of my weight.

I've been taking really honest inventory these past 2-3 weeks bc I think that was truly my downfall. I wasn't weighing myself so I could only assume the amount of weight I wanted to lose based on how my clothing fit and I wasn't really tracking how much I ate. I generally eat whatever I want and it's worked for me my whole life. I prefer decently nutritious foods, I'm not a snacker, eating usually only twice a day, and I generally don't like junk foods. I think that's innately limited how much I ate and kept me effortlessly slim.

In my honest inventory I've been weighing myself daily since my first post. That's been about 3 weeks of data to go off of. My weight definitely fluctuates and I don't have enough numbers to really understand how my period may influence my weight or salty meals or any other factors really. But I feel very empowered to be courageous enough to jump on the scale daily. In fact, it feels like a normal morning thing now and just a number as opposed to a frightening wake up call I was anticipating. After tracking my numbers I realized I have about 13 pounds to lose, so I was pretty accurate in my estimate. Honestly 10 pounds would be totally satisfactory.

I've also been tracking my caloric intake daily for 2 weeks now. I feel truly honest in my estimate of portions and calories so I feel I have an accurate daily average. My natural appetite, without attempting to cut back or restrict, came out to 1,478/day. So Jen I'm guessing I'm a bit like you. I've lost 0 pounds in these past few weeks so I think it's safe to say that 1,500 calories will maintain my weight and I probably need to cut close to 1,000 to lose, Yikes. That sucks! And I'm not sure how sustainable that is!

I kept up my normal activity level which is to exercise and jog about 3-5 times a week.

I feel well and I know I have a healthy diet and exercise regimen. When I ask myself what my goals are truly I guess it can be simplified as this: I want to be a bit slimmer and toned out of vanity and I want control/no fear/understanding of how my diet affects my weight and appearance. Here in TX it's already bikini season and I'm wishing I had launched this honest campaign a bit earlier in the year! Ah well! Just glad I'm getting there!
SabineD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie3 View Post
Have you had any successes or tips since your last post? Maybe we can support and motivated each other to make this change! I don't want to end the summer at the same weight I am now, I really want to take control of my health and make a lasting lifestyle change!
Hi Marie!
I haven't lost any weight but I do feel I've had success in other ways! I'm weighing myself without fear daily and tracking it using the WeightDrop app so that I can view my trends. I also started honestly appraising my intake and recording my calories it in a little notebook. I've been tracking it by hand bc there is strong research that suggests journaling and goal setting make more powerful synapses in the brain via pen and paper than via text or typing.

I'm feeling more equipped mentally and emotionally to lose weight rather than looming thoughts of ah **** I gotta lose probably maybe ten pounds before that pool party or vacation or whatevs. My next obstacle will be to intentionally restrict calories and I haven't figured that out yet. I want a sustainable amount cut so that I can maintain a weight loss. I need to weigh lifestyle and enjoyment of life, social activities, and physical activity into the equation of what is ultimately realistic and sustainable.

I'll keep you posted and I would love to be a support buddy with you. Just pop in often and keep the conversation going...I think that does a lot.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #18  

please exercise more.
robicse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #19  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineD View Post
So it looked like I fell off the map, but I didn't!

I still have the same goals, largely to loose about 10-15 pounds, stop pushing off that goal due to fears (such as the initial anxiety of weighing myself!), and feel in control of my weight.

I've been taking really honest inventory these past 2-3 weeks bc I think that was truly my downfall. I wasn't weighing myself so I could only assume the amount of weight I wanted to lose based on how my clothing fit and I wasn't really tracking how much I ate. I generally eat whatever I want and it's worked for me my whole life. I prefer decently nutritious foods, I'm not a snacker, eating usually only twice a day, and I generally don't like junk foods. I think that's innately limited how much I ate and kept me effortlessly slim.

In my honest inventory I've been weighing myself daily since my first post. That's been about 3 weeks of data to go off of. My weight definitely fluctuates and I don't have enough numbers to really understand how my period may influence my weight or salty meals or any other factors really. But I feel very empowered to be courageous enough to jump on the scale daily. In fact, it feels like a normal morning thing now and just a number as opposed to a frightening wake up call I was anticipating. After tracking my numbers I realized I have about 13 pounds to lose, so I was pretty accurate in my estimate. Honestly 10 pounds would be totally satisfactory.

I've also been tracking my caloric intake daily for 2 weeks now. I feel truly honest in my estimate of portions and calories so I feel I have an accurate daily average. My natural appetite, without attempting to cut back or restrict, came out to 1,478/day. So Jen I'm guessing I'm a bit like you. I've lost 0 pounds in these past few weeks so I think it's safe to say that 1,500 calories will maintain my weight and I probably need to cut close to 1,000 to lose, Yikes. That sucks! And I'm not sure how sustainable that is!

I kept up my normal activity level which is to exercise and jog about 3-5 times a week.

I feel well and I know I have a healthy diet and exercise regimen. When I ask myself what my goals are truly I guess it can be simplified as this: I want to be a bit slimmer and toned out of vanity and I want control/no fear/understanding of how my diet affects my weight and appearance. Here in TX it's already bikini season and I'm wishing I had launched this honest campaign a bit earlier in the year! Ah well! Just glad I'm getting there!
Yup. I maintain on 1500, also eat that naturally, and lose on 900-1000 which I refuse to do unless I'm really seeing an upward trend.

Your food choices might be the issue at this point. Check out this eating plan, this is pretty much how I live and maintain and keep a low body fat and have muscle:
(It's 1500 calories!!)

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-female-training-bible-everything-you-need-to-get-the-sexy-body-you-desire.html

Scroll ALL the way down for the nutrition. The training isn't bad, but I don't lift like that. I do a body part per day, abs a few times a week.

Lift weights. You will see a change in how you look. It's much more effective than cardio. My husband has a six pack and does no cardio. Most fitness competitors mostly lift.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 05-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #20  

I definitely agree with weight lifting. It will transform your body. At 125 lbs now I'm a size 4 where in the past I was a 6/8. I love bodybuilding.com and I hardly ever do ab exercises and I have nice obliques and a 2-pack (lol). We use our abs all day everyday.
matinee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #21  

Default Great input!

Thanks for the input!

The diet actually looks pretty similar to my food choices except I rarely eat meat. I eat fish somewhat regularly but on a daily basis my protein comes from legumes and eggs. Also I don't like eating throughout the day. It's just never been my pattern. I prefer lunch and dinner... except I usually enjoy wine or a drink with dinner or afterward. Not everyday but definitely often enough that it contributes a couple hundred extra calories to my diet.

Question: Do you guys eat the same calories everyday? I have been tracking my norm and I noticed I def do not. Some days, aka social days, I consume quite a bit. Maybe 2,000 calories. Usually if I'm going out with friends I have drinks and appetizers with dinner. But the next day I'll naturally adjust and eat very little. It's automatic for me and not a forced effort. All to say that my average intake was 1,500 daily but I did not eat 1,500 calories a day. Any thoughts on that?

I definitely will look into weight lifting! I prefer to get outside, hit the dusty trail, and just run. My roommates are always asking me to come lift with them (we have a gym in our building) so maybe I'll head down to the gym regularly and build it into my routine. I just feel so out of place, I'm not sure what to do, and I get bored. Maybe if I had some structure. They have their routines but they are men and I'm never sure if I should be doing the same stuff. For you ladies out there, do you have a different approach than men or is it all the same? I do not want to end up looking like them... haha. I need some guidance from women!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineD View Post
Thanks for the input!

The diet actually looks pretty similar to my food choices except I rarely eat meat. I eat fish somewhat regularly but on a daily basis my protein comes from legumes and eggs. Also I don't like eating throughout the day. It's just never been my pattern. I prefer lunch and dinner... except I usually enjoy wine or a drink with dinner or afterward. Not everyday but definitely often enough that it contributes a couple hundred extra calories to my diet.

Question: Do you guys eat the same calories everyday? I have been tracking my norm and I noticed I def do not. Some days, aka social days, I consume quite a bit. Maybe 2,000 calories. Usually if I'm going out with friends I have drinks and appetizers with dinner. But the next day I'll naturally adjust and eat very little. It's automatic for me and not a forced effort. All to say that my average intake was 1,500 daily but I did not eat 1,500 calories a day. Any thoughts on that?

I definitely will look into weight lifting! I prefer to get outside, hit the dusty trail, and just run. My roommates are always asking me to come lift with them (we have a gym in our building) so maybe I'll head down to the gym regularly and build it into my routine. I just feel so out of place, I'm not sure what to do, and I get bored. Maybe if I had some structure. They have their routines but they are men and I'm never sure if I should be doing the same stuff. For you ladies out there, do you have a different approach than men or is it all the same? I do not want to end up looking like them... haha. I need some guidance from women!
I track calories with loseit (phone app) and it's not always the same number but my weekly goal is the same.

Bodybuilding.com has plans for women and men but also don't be afraid to do a program designed for men. Unless you are taking steroids you won't bulk up. There is an option on bodybuilding.com that will find a workout plan for you.
matinee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #23  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

Lift just like the men! (Within reason, we will likely never bench 300 lbs like they do

Don't settle for those five and ten lb weights. Try bodybuilding.com.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 05-10-2017 at 07:59 PM.
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote