Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #1  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Default Knee pain

Hey everyone
So I have been having issues with my knee since an injury in Oct... The pain is off and on but when it is on its on... I went to the ortho and had an X-ray n an MRI done... I have been working out low intensity 3-4 times a week but I have been out of commission since Thursday.

According to the results my ortho told me I've have a soften knee cap n it is not properly aligned. I start physical therapy this week but the pain has been back since Friday and persists for about 4-5 hours at a time.I never exercise when it hurts..

I have stopped working out bc of the pain but any other suggestions will be helpful. I love working out but yes I know better than to exert as I have done it in the past so yes!!! Thanks for reading!
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #2  
Chronic Pain Fighter

Anybody?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I would definitely address this question with your physical therapist, but until then, doing some upper body work shouldn't hurt. I don't know if you have access to a gym or not, but maybe check out the lifting section here and hopefully that will give you some ideas for exercises you can do. Also, I know at my gym they have a bike/elliptical type machine (you sit down and "pedal" but it has the same arm function as an elliptical) where you can rest your legs in the middle and just use the arm function. That's all I can really think of... I hope you heal fast
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

I've had knee problems my whole life. Two surgeries and another one coming up in a few weeks. My first two were due to out of alignment patellas.

I recommend getting a second opinion - try to find an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in knees (they all have their sub specialties and a shoulder surgeon might not diagnose a knee as well). Physical therapy is typically the first course of treatment. They try to strengthen the quads so the ligaments pull the patella into proper alignment.

Unfortunately, like me, the physical therapy doesn't always work...or the pain is too excruciating to wait out the duration it takes before the physical therapy starts helping. In my case, my anatomy was such that I would never heal via physical therapy, so surgery was the only solution. I had a lateral release on each knee and the pain relief was so significant that the post operative surgery pain was actually less than the pain I was dealing with before having the surgeries.

The reason you have pain (more than likely) is because when your patella is out of alignment you are essentially grinding bone on bone when you walk since your knee cap is not moving within the joint correctly. I went to three different orthopaedic surgeons before I found one that specialized in knees. If you're unsure and you can't find any knee surgeons easily, call your local hospital and ask the same day surgery nurses who specializes in knees.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5  
Neytiri Wannabe

Height: 5'0"

I'm sorry about your knee pain. I have back and neck injuries that prevent me from working out hard and I know how frustrating it can be. The only thing I can suggest is to find exercises that don't involve your knee. Like EricAnn said, work your upper body! You'll feel good because you are doing something, you'll increase in strength, and strength training helps keep your metabolism going. What about something like swimming? That is supposed to be easier on joints. Good luck.

Last edited by PixieChix; 07-11-2012 at 04:22 PM.
PixieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #6  
Chronic Pain Fighter

Thanks everyone... I've been doing physical therapy n listening to my body. I've been able to exercise too, that's good!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #7  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

I would look into a supplement called MSM. I felt it helped when I had foot pain.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #8  
Chronic Pain Fighter

Thanks girl81 I will look into that!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 76/ticker/56 (kg)

Height: 1.61cm (~5'3")

Ouch.. That sounds really painful Will taking glucosamine help? Perhaps you can check with your ortho to see which supplements can reduce the pain. As for exercise, maybe swimming?
TheGreenerSide is offline   Reply With Quote