Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 149/134/120

Height: 5'5"

Default had a binge.... how to get past the guilt

So I have been calorie counting and fairly consistent with sticking to about 1200 calories per day for about 8 weeks. But today was a bad day. I binged. It was the first time in the last 8 weeks, but now I am sitting here crying. I hit my kids easter baskets with a force and I am going to have some explaining to do if they realize.

How can I get past the guilt I feel? I mean, a few peanut butter eggs and skittles and jelly beans really aren't the end of the world for one day out of 8 weeks. I get that logically. But I can't help but feel like I let myself down. Like I failed.

Part of my problem is that I lost weight really quickly, like most do when dieting. I went from 149 to 132 in the matter of about 4 weeks. But I hit a wall. I have been stuck at 132 for weeks. I am doing everything I was in the past... about 300 calories for lunch and breakfast, 400 for dinner and the other 200 for snacks throughout the day. Spinning 3 times a week, pilates and strength training. But I can't get the scale to go down. It was easy to control my binges when the scale was moving, but since it hasn't moved in weeks it is much harder to have that self control.

When I have binged in the past it opened the door for me to continue. I would tell myself I already failed so why not just keep failing. I can not let that happen this time. Even if I never reach my goal weight or drop another pound I feel so much better at 132 than I ever did at 149.

Well, life goes on. And this journey must too. I can not let this one instant define me for any amount of time. And I already feel better getting all of this off my chest.

Last edited by wheresmyraise; 04-24-2012 at 06:53 PM.
wheresmyraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't let one slip up define your experience. I know it's hard not to let it get you down, but pick yourself up and dust yourself off, cuz you're actually doing great.

I don't personally believe that you've hit a wall. I believe that the initial loss was probably water and now, you're actually losing fat but it doesn't show on the scale because the initial loss wasn't real. Does that make sense?

Also, now that you're working out a lot, your body is actually retaining more water because it's part of the muscle building process. You could be losing fat and inches but it won't show on the scale for a while, which is why measurements, pictures and the scale can give you a more accurate view of what's really going on.

Another suggestion I can make (if you don't mind) is that you could do some calorie cycling. 1200 is very low.....especially for someone who is working out. Why not have some days where you do 1600, some days 1200 (the ones when you don't work out perhaps)?

I read on here just today....someone said that if you slip as you're climbing a stair case, do you just throw yourself down the rest of the flight of stairs? No, you pick yourself up and continue climbing. That's how you must see this binge.

Don't weigh yourself for at least 3 days, drink lots of water and get right back on your plan. You will lose weight and do great. Just don't give up!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #3  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

No, no you haven't hit a wall!!

You are NOT failing and trust me, the weight WILL come off. If you want my opinion, I think as the other poster said, you are not consuming enough calories. Being 5'5, you might need more calories just to function than someone who is shorter. The low calories presents two problems: First, you are stalling your weight loss most likely because you are not eating enough. I know this because I did the same thing and had a similar situation. I upped my calorie intake a little and continued exercising and my body regulated itself and began losing again. I know it seems counterintuitive to eat more to lose more, but trust me your body is holding on to every scrap of food you eat right now. Some people might disagree with me, but this is my experience and what my nutritionist told me. Another problem is that eating 1200 calories will make you more likely to "binge" or crave food because your body is hungry! Maybe try to up the calories a little and see if things improve. If not, and it continues to stall for several weeks, maybe see a doctor.

All in all, you will be fine!! I know it can be so frustrating but don't give up because it's all worth it in the end!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #4  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not a featherweight, but I do have experience with overeating and hitting "walls."

For the wall, it's probably not a wall. You have to give it time and the weight will come off. Generally, if it's been a month and you still haven't seen movement on the scale, THEN it's time to readjust stuff.

For the binge guilt, you have to just move on. Jump back on the horse right away. It'll take a few days for the excess water weight to drop off, but it'll get better. Trust me - I've jumped back in the game after maaaany a binge.

You'll only lose if you stop trying. It's true. Patience is hard, but it's seriously what might be needed.

Good luck with everything!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #5  

Thank you all so much! It is great to have such a supportive forum. Losing weight is an uphill battle and even harder when you feel all alone during the daily grind.

I will definitely take every ones suggestion to add more calories seriously. I honestly don't know why I choose 1200. Just sounded good at the time. I like the idea of cycling and it sounds as though it could make things a little easier. We are a family on the go on the weekends so 1200 is tough in those circumstances.

I am already feeling better about the binge. I just wish I would binge on broccoli and carrots instead of sugar filled junk. That would make things much easier!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I read on here just today....someone said that if you slip as you're climbing a stair case, do you just throw yourself down the rest of the flight of stairs? No, you pick yourself up and continue climbing. That's how you must see this binge.
Love! And so true for so many obstacles we face! Will definitely have to remember that one!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'11

I've let a binge throw me off for days at a time. A few cookies turns into 3 days of eating whatever I want in huge portions. It can be really hard to turn it around and not sink into an unhealthy pattern of eating. This is really great advice everyone, thank you!
magsabags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Every body is different, but I think 1200 every day without fail is pushing it for an active person who is 5'5, and perhaps cycling calories and even having one day a week where you eat at "maintenance" would actually result in scale movement. There are definitely certain weights that people's bodies "like" and get "stuck" at, and I think getting too focused on the number vs. the improved fitness you're achieving through your workouts is a way to set yourself up for binges. As for the guilt, what's done is done - sugar/carb binges and indulgences come with an awful "crash" the next day, but soon enough you'll feel normal again. I hope this gets easier for you!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmyraise View Post
...I have been stuck at 132 for weeks...

At 5'5 and 132 lbs, How low are you trying to go? That seems like a perfect weight for your height. Perhaps you could ditch the scale and focus more on how your clothes fit.

I'm willing to bet that if you raised your calories to 1500-1600 a day and started doing more weight training youd add muscle and look AND feel better! I know we all have our own goals, but check out the links in my signature if you want to see some before and after pictures of me. The "after" (which only continues to improve since those were taken last November) are after I started eating 2500 calories a day and lifting weights.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote