Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Workout: alone or with a buddy?

Do you Feathers workout alone or with a buddy?

I workout alone (I know...big surprise, lol). I'm an autonomous-type of person so I think if I worked out with someone either one of us might slow the other one down, lol. The only exception I make is my older son. Any time he wants to come with me, I'll adjust my schedule to make time for him. I don't get to spend a lot of alone time with him since he's gotten older and has tons of friends so it's nice to chat as we exercise together. My younger boy is still a handful at 6 so he'll have to get a little bigger for that to happen, lol. I would love to workout with my DH but someone needs to watch the kids so that's a pipe dream at least for the next few years too.

Just curious.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-12-2011 at 12:42 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #2  

Height: 5'0"

Almost always alone. Sometimes DH and I work out together but separately (different workouts, but in the same room... like I'll pump iron while he does P90X). Every once in a while he will come along for a run, but not often (my running pace is his fast walking pace, and he hates fast walking).

I prefer alone for a variety of reasons:

1. I am totally NOT athletic, graceful or attractive when I work out. I run like a lumbering zombie. I prefer no one saw me engaging in physical activity.

2. I am absolutely certain I would hold a partner back, whether running or lifting.

3. Exercising, especially running, gives me time to be alone with my thoughts. I cherish alone time.

4. I just don't really have anyone even close to my fitness level to workout with. My friends either don't exercise at all, or are waaaaayyy superior to my abilities.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/146/130

Height: 5'6"

Alone though when I workout on my Wii with Just Dance or Wii Fit I prefer to play WITH people, it's more fun that way trying to beat each others scores!

~Katy
kakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

So far alone, but when I am a bit further along with c25k I am gonna see if I can find a running buddy for atleast once a week. I need to remain doing it over the winter and that's gonna be hard if I have to do it alone in the cold.

I consider long walks as a work-out thing too, and I do those with friends. But we don't approach it as a work-out.

I enjoy going to the gym by myself, heck.. I don't even talk to the people there. I just moved to this tiny snobbish town, so everybody knows eachother and is real friendly and talks to eachother.. I'm the silent girl that slips in and out. Hihi.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
I prefer alone for a variety of reasons:

2. I am absolutely certain I would hold a partner back, whether running or lifting.

3. Exercising, especially running, gives me time to be alone with my thoughts. I cherish alone time.

4. I just don't really have anyone even close to my fitness level to workout with. My friends either don't exercise at all, or are waaaaayyy superior to my abilities.

I totally related to these three points. Most of the women I know who run in my neighborhood whom I'm friendly with all jog like twice as many miles as me (I don't really know anyone who lifts). I cherish alone time too because with a hubby and two kids, it's a precious commodity, lol. Most of my friends do not exercise (they all think I'm crazy for even trying to stay in shape) or the ones that do could blow me away in like five minutes.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-12-2011 at 04:20 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I prefer to run alone. I have tried running with a friend before, and running at a snail's pace frustrates me (it was one of my biggest pet peeves when I was in the military). The only person I don't mind running with is my bf. As far as other exercise goes, I wouldn't mind doing strength training/lifting type things, or classes, with friends. Just not running
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #7  
Keep on Moving!

I go to two classes each week - one Zumba and one aerobics. I sometimes go running at lunchtimes with work colleagues. All my other workouts are solo, though; at home, I work out to DVDs or using the Wii. Very occasionally, hubby will join me in a game of Wii tennis.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I always work out alone.

I use workout DVDs regularly, and its nice to be able to have full autonomy when choosing what workout I will do and when and for how long. Esp. important when running, I like to keep my own pace. I also like the solitude, and I can listen to my music (and not have to chat while exercising which I feel can be a waste of valuable energy) and go wherever I please.

I also do reformer pilates at home which is definitely something I don't need a partner/buddy for.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote