Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Anybody else become a clothes horse...

...since losing weight? I know for me that clothes shopping was always something that I avoided, at all costs. I never liked trying clothes on or seeing my frumpiness projected in bad lighting with three-way mirrors. And don't even talk to me about bathing suit shopping especially since having children...it was nightmarish! Although I did always love shoe shopping at any weight.

Yet now, I love going to the stores and trying new clothes on. Sometimes I just browse and don't purchase anything. I just love the whole process. I find myself devouring the fashion magazines and online blogs seeing what the latest trends are, etc. I never used to do that.

I even like shopping for accessories such as purses, belts and costume jewelry to go with my new outfits. I'm like a kid in a candy store now, lol.

What about you ladies?

Last edited by fitmom; 08-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Ive been struggling the past few weeks ( as you know) but when I was going strong and looking better IMO I'd sometimes trade eating lunch for going into a local store and JUST try on clothes for an hour lol. Totally ridiculous but SOOOO much fun and so motivating.

I havent really purchased anything lately because I am waiting to get closer to goal. But I do know the feeling. Its amazing to go from completely hating something to making it like a sick new hobby. lol

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 08-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I am no clothes horse now, but I have gone from not caring at all about my clothing to minimally caring about my clothing.

In the year before I started losing weight, I owned 3 or 4 pairs of pants and 7 of the same t-shirt in different colors. They were men's t-shirts. I had gone to buy hubby some of his t-shirts at Old Navy because they were on sale and decided, well, I'm already here buying him the shirts and they're cheap, maybe they'll fit me, too. So I picked up 7 in the size that fit me and that was my wardrobe for like a year. That's how little I cared about clothing, I didn't even care enough to go over to the women's department in the same store and find a shirt that worked for me.

Now I go out every two or three months and buy jeans that fit. The old me would've worn them until they started falling off. I still basically wear the same shirt every day--I have a few different colors... but I've at least upgraded to some more fitted shirts that are actually women's shirts.

I do like cute tennis shoes, and I have a dozen pairs of glasses (I buy them online for really cheap). My fashion sense is mostly confined to my head and my feet.

Last edited by sumire; 08-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I reached goal I went on the mother of all shopping sprees. I actually have too many clothes, now. I was so glad to get out of sweats, I call them the fat lady's uniform.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #5  

I also have gone from buying shirts in huge sizes (thinking they'd make me look smaller) to buying shirts and clothes in general that are more fitted. Which is a weird thing to wrap my head around because everyone can see my waist or shoulders or whatever in clothing that's fit closer to the body. I'm also a naturally shy person when it comes to my sexuality so to go from wearing stuff that was swimming on me to halter tops that show my arms off was a big thing for me. Of course, my DH was thrilled because he actually got to see more of me (modestly, of course, lol) than before.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Oh I loved clothes long before I started losing weight. But the types of clothes do difffer. I wore a lot of loose flowy tops at my highest weight and more fitted tops now. I also went from wide-leg work pants and flare jeans to strait-leg work pants and skinny jeans.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumire View Post
I am no clothes horse now, but I have gone from not caring at all about my clothing to minimally caring about my clothing.

In the year before I started losing weight, I owned 3 or 4 pairs of pants and 7 of the same t-shirt in different colors. They were men's t-shirts. I had gone to buy hubby some of his t-shirts at Old Navy because they were on sale and decided, well, I'm already here buying him the shirts and they're cheap, maybe they'll fit me, too. So I picked up 7 in the size that fit me and that was my wardrobe for like a year. That's how little I cared about clothing, I didn't even care enough to go over to the women's department in the same store and find a shirt that worked for me.

Now I go out every two or three months and buy jeans that fit. The old me would've worn them until they started falling off. I still basically wear the same shirt every day--I have a few different colors... but I've at least upgraded to some more fitted shirts that are actually women's shirts.

I do like cute tennis shoes, and I have a dozen pairs of glasses (I buy them online for really cheap). My fashion sense is mostly confined to my head and my feet.

I hope some of those shirts are sleeveless so you can show off your 'buff' arms. Just saying. I think you need to spend a day with me and I'll make you a clothes horse in no time at all.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #8  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

I've never been into fashion and I'm not a clothes horse. I live in jeans and t-shirts and flannel overshirts. But when I'm in a store and I find something in my size I'm likely to buy it because it might not be there the next time.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

I haven't become a clothes horse yet, because I haven't lost enough weight to drop a size, but because I'm on a diet and I believe that I can get there one day, I'm on clothes websites ALL THE TIME. I can't WAIT to go shopping. I know when I've gone down a dress size I'll be down there so fast!! I can't wait. I'm going to wear skirts all the time, and I might even tuck my top in so people can see my waist. And I'm going to buy some light wash jeans, so I look like Scarlett Johanson. LOL. :P
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

I always wore the classic t-shirt+jeans/shorts, and ordinary tank top.
Now I tuck them all in so you can see my waist, and I definetly buy fashion clothing. I'm wearing a cropped top I just bought yesterday! It feel amazing haha.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #11  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

fitmom: Actually, I guess you're right: I have two styles of shirt. My v-neck tees and my camisoles. This is the first summer that I've ever worn anything sleeveless (I kid you not--I was ridiculously self-conscious for so long, even when I was 18 and weighed 115-120).
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #12  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I've always been a clothes horse -- not easy when you're a student! Now that I finally draw an income (and I can justify nice things with the dress code at work), I'm really having fun shopping at sites like ideeli and Gilt for absurdly expensive designer clothes and somewhat less-absurd prices.

But while I was losing weight over the last half year, I actually cut down my spending on clothes a lot and moved it all over to exercise clothes/gear, because I (reasonably) assumed nothing would fit me after losing weight. And, lo and behold, nothing fits me now. So I'm still wary of buying things, especially dresses and pants, that I anticipate being too big very soon... having to return a recent order of several Marc New York size 2 sheath dresses made me both excited (I'm smaller than size 2?!) and extremely disappointed (they were absolutely gorgeous and were a very lucky snag at the price).

Last edited by lackadaisy; 08-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/154/132

Height: 5'5.7"

Oh yes, in a major way! After almost a decade spent browsing shiftily through the size 18+ sections, I went absolutely nuts when I realised I could actually shop in the "normal" aisles. Some of my beautiful dresses don't zip up anymore after I regained a bit of the weight, so they're a real motivation for me to get back on track again!
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I definitely love just trying things on but recently I got obsessed with jeggings.. I know I know... living on the edge LOL!! But seriously, I never thought I could pull them off (I still wear a top long enough to cover my bum). They are a good incentive to keep me on track cuz the more weight I lose the better I'll feel about wearing them.

Here's a pic of them (they are soooo comfy!!)

On a similar note, I am so excited about summer... can't wait to peel off all the heavy winter layers and get back into dresses and skirts!
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #15  

Height: 5'0"

You know, this thread made me realize: I MISS clothing and fashion. For the years when I was self-conscious of my body, I lived out of baggy jeans and oversized tees. (Admittedly, I'm a mom of a toddler and infant, so some of that was practicality. Everything is covered in spit-out and fingerpaint anyway. lol)

I have a box in my basement called "Banananutmuffin's Skinny Clothes." It's mostly dresses and little corset tops that I can't fit into anymore. I totally pulled out two dresses and plan to fit into them by autumn.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote