Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Default Who Is that Thin Girl in the Mirror?

I was getting ready for a very rare night out with my boyfriend on Saturday. After I got dressed, I looked in the mirror and thought "Dang Girl! You look downright skinny!" That is the first time I have ever thought that in my life. I have been this weight many times. I have been a couple pounds lower, but never have I looked at myself and saw a thin woman looking back at me. I don't know if it is because of age and acceptance of the flaws, or because of running giving me a tone to my legs and a whittle to my waist that makes the difference, but there was a thin woman looking back at me in the mirror that I don't recall ever seeing, ever.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

It seems to come and go with me depending on the day, outfit, or reflective surface lol... But I'm hoping that when I get to 130 I see her all the time, lol.... Only 7-8 more lbs! I hope you continue to see her!

Good job on all the running! I'm trying to get into it but it is my absolute least favorite form of exercising and I'm one of those annoying people who actually really like to sweat and workout. Its not so much that its hard its just boring and monotonous and when it does get tiring its hard to keep going because now you are bored AND tired!

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 06-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyelle39 View Post
It seems to come and go with me depending on the day, outfit, or reflective surface lol... But I'm hoping that when I get to 130 I see her all the time, lol.... Only 7-8 more lbs! I hope you continue to see her!

Good job on all the running! I'm trying to get into it but it is my absolute least favorite form of exercising and I'm one of those annoying people who actually really like to sweat and workout. Its not so much that its hard its just boring and monotonous and when it does get tiring its hard to keep going because now you are bored AND tired!
Thanks! I suspect the skinny me will come and go in my eyes also, but it was good to get a peek of her! LOL

With running, I have NEVER liked running or sweating for that manner. I did the C25K program and hated it the whole way through, hated it. Had to talk myself through it all the way. I was going to do the program, run the race I planned to run in, and never run again. And then suddenly the training was done, the race was over, and I couldn't not run. I love it now. It is my therapy, my boring, monotonous, I can blast this music in my ears and not think a single thought therapy. Other days I use the time to think. Depends on the mood, but every single time I think I am going to sweat this stress off, and then I am going to stomp over it as I run over it! LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #4  

I am doing C25k also.. Although its very sporadic, not every other day like it should be. Its still boring and every time I tell myself " Im going to run today" I think about all the other more interesting workouts I could do instead and usually do one of those.

However, I just got back from taking my nephew to swimming lessons and I was of course in a swimsuit. Got home and started checking myself out and actually could see the "skinny me" trying to break out. My legs especially need the work so BAM thats my motivation to run and off to the gym I go lol!

Hopefully Ill find my inner runner too! :0)

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 06-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyelle39 View Post
However, I just got back from taking my nephew to swimming lessons and I was of course in a swimsuit. Got home and started checking myself out and actually could see the "skinny me" trying to break out. My legs especially need the work so BAM thats my motivation to run and off to the gym I go lol!

Hopefully Ill find my inner runner too! :0)
It sounds like you have it covered in the exercise department anyway. Do you what you love! If you can see the skinny you in a bathing suit, you are doing better than me! LOL I went bathing suit shopping this weekend= torture!

I know most of you are younger than me and pre-kids. I've had three kids, a couple 9 pounders, weighed up to 208 lbs, and I've been all stretched out! LOL When I was shopping, I thought of the bikini photos that have been posted here of girls of similar weights with a pang of jealousy.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

I can't wait for the summer (unfortunately not this one, I started too late) where I can slip into a bikini and not think, "Well, you could look worse..." I want my confidence back, not just the pretend one! Both of you are inspirational; Aimeebell, you're already over your original weight loss goal! And Skinnyelle39 you are GORGEOUS and already so close to your goal. Keep going ladies, you are my motivation!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I love those moments aimeebell! I am so glad to hear you're finally feeling that way, with your proportions there's no way you aren't slim and trim. Sometimes I'll see a good photo of myself (for every good one there are 15 bad ones, but hey) and stand back and say "you know what krampus, you really aren't fat, calm down."

Running is great when it's good and awful when it's bad, but I've never felt worse after a run than before, no matter how terrible the run.

skinnyelle Do you run on treadmills or outside? I've never run on a treadmill but I imagine that might get dull. Outside though I have lots of curvaceous mountains and beautiful scenery to look at, which keeps me stimulated when I hit the "am I only halfway there?!" point.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #8  

Krampus Ive only run on the treadmill. Id like to venture outside but it just seems even harder lol. Im going to try to work my way up to outdoor running

elizabethyellow Thank you! Its amazing Ive been working at this for almost 6 months now with many ups and downs and Ive really only started to finally see all the hard work pay off in the past month or so. Its like all of sudden ou look at yourself and say " wow." You will get there, just keep at it one day at a time.

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 06-22-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #9  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

It's a great feeling, isn't it? At the gym last week I was on the ab machine where you are hanging down by your arms and have to pull your legs up. I saw my reflection in the mirror and thought, "Hey! I actually look pretty athletic. Where is the chunky girl I've known for so long??" lol

I completed c25k about a month ago but haven't been motivated to keep up my running. I've shifted to only running a mile warm-up, then doing an hour of cardio on the elliptical. I'm hoping when it cools down in the fall to begin running outdoors.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/131 (for now!)

Height: 5'3"

Yaaay everyone! These success posts motivate me to keep on chuggin'!
elizabethyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
I was getting ready for a very rare night out with my boyfriend on Saturday. After I got dressed, I looked in the mirror and thought "Dang Girl! You look downright skinny!" That is the first time I have ever thought that in my life. I have been this weight many times. I have been a couple pounds lower, but never have I looked at myself and saw a thin woman looking back at me. I don't know if it is because of age and acceptance of the flaws, or because of running giving me a tone to my legs and a whittle to my waist that makes the difference, but there was a thin woman looking back at me in the mirror that I don't recall ever seeing, ever.

Gosh, I can so relate to this. I haven't been this weight since early high school, lol. I was changing my clothes the other day and caught sight of my reflection and was like, "whoa! Who's that in the mirror?" People have been complimenting me and saying, "you look good." But I tend not to believe them for whatever reason.

I think running has made all the difference for me and lowering my body fat where my abs have started to come in. I have never had what I would call a "fit" physique ever. Not even when I was in my teens or 20s. It's still weird to see myself half-clothed and notice that I'm smaller than I once was.

Good for you.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
It sounds like you have it covered in the exercise department anyway. Do you what you love! If you can see the skinny you in a bathing suit, you are doing better than me! LOL I went bathing suit shopping this weekend= torture!

I know most of you are younger than me and pre-kids. I've had three kids, a couple 9 pounders, weighed up to 208 lbs, and I've been all stretched out! LOL When I was shopping, I thought of the bikini photos that have been posted here of girls of similar weights with a pang of jealousy.

I read your blog and I'm older than you by 5 years, lol. I say just buy the bikini and wear it now. Last summer, I bought one for the first time in like 10 years and not the high-waisted one but the one that's low cut but still modest. I'm a mom of 2 kids too. I didn't tell my hubby then surprised him before we went to bed and he was like speechless. I was also heavier and not as toned as I am now and he said I looked great. I wore it on vacation and tried not to stress about how I was still a work-in-progress. This summer I look better but I still could improve here and there. If I can wear one at 39 so can you. Totally do it. Or at least start with a tankini. I'll bet you'd look really good.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #13  

It's so weird and does take time to get used to. I went into Ann Taylor last week, and my first thought was "They're going to wonder why I'm here, I'm plus-sized." That was about 40 lbs ago....I walked out having purchased a size 10 skirt. Yet instinctively I can't think of myself as a thin(ner) person. Losing the weight is the easy part....the mental/emotional aspect is much more difficult and takes much longer.
smartgirl575 is offline   Reply With Quote