Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/115/107

Height: 5'2"

Default Stuck at 127 - 128!

Hi featherweights! New to 3FC and looking for a place to vent, learn, find support and get the heck out of this rut!

I'm 5'2" & petite, 32 yr old Mom of 2. I am comfortable at about 110 (105-115). But I was on meds that packed on a solid 30 lbs. I got up to 137! Youch! (tho my highest weight was 162-- at the end of a pregnancy)

I'm working my tail off to get this weight off, but I'm stuck at 127-128 right now. S-T-U-C-K!!!

Any advice would be super appreciated. I work out daily (run, hike, elliptical & weights). I eat healthfully, organic, vegetarian, natural... what am I doing wrong??? I'm trying to lose this weight the "right" way. I can usually lose super fast, but it's by limiting calories, a lot. I'd like to get fit and strong instead. I'll admit I don't eat breakfast and drink a great protein shake (Orgain or something) for lunch (maybe it's too much protein?), and then eat dinner. I stop eating at least a few hours before bed and drink lots of water.

Sooooo? And quick weight loss tips out there? Anyone else in this hellish boat too?
skinny fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! No, no quick weight loss tips, but I'll take a stab at your questions.
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but based on the information you've shared, there are a couple of possibilities. One, after having two kids and now being in your 30s, weight might not come off "super fast" like it has in the past. You might have to restrict your caloric intake to 1200-1300 in order to drop the 15 lbs. you're hoping to. Another possibility is that failing to eat breakfast (or some type of meal 1-2 hours upon waking) is slowing down your metabolism. I don't know when you get the chance to work out but if it's in the morning, I suggest working out before eating. I drink my standard two cups of coffee then do my 5k, and eat my breakfast afterwards. The final possibility I thought of regards your question about whether you're eating too much protein. All sorts of research points to protein being great for weight loss because of the calories needed by our body to process it as well as its satiation factor. However, I'll warn you that when I drank protein shakes a few years back, they kept a nice little layer of flab on me. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why I wasn't dropping weight as I should. The only thing I could point to were the shakes - and they were a high-quality mix, too. Once I cut out the shake (and replaced it with 300 calories' worth of other foods) the fat layer began to melt.
Good luck!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #3  

Take a deep breath and relax! You are super fit. You have loads of time to get to your desired fitness. Just keep on keeping on and enjoy your kids for now. Soon enough, you will be able to get the fitness level you want.

Keep your nutrition on track. Keep your calories how they are. You need to be a mom and provide right now. It's OK. There is plenty of time to get to where you wanna be in the next 10 years.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #4  

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the great advice fatburner27!!! I'll take those thoughts into consideration. I'm impressed by the 5k!

I wish I could follow the advice fitness4life, but I'm not comfortable or happy right now. I have a closet full of fabulous clothes I can not fit into and I don't want to spend money on new clothes. I'm losing out on some summer fun- won't go to the pool like this. Etc. I need the change now, that's what will help me be a better Mom.

Last edited by skinny fast; 06-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/126.8/120

Hello!

I was stuck at 129-130 for months! It wasn't till I started doing different workouts using exercise tv on demand that it finally shook things up!

I've been alternating between 2 20 min workouts under the "beach body" workout section.

I think it's good to switch up the routine a bit to give our bodies a little jump start.

Best wishes and good luck! =)
ImOnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #6  

I keep considering that 'switch it up' method. I alternate between the treadmill, elliptical and hiking... maybe it's not enough?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Light as air

Height: 5'1"

Hey skinny_fast

Quote:
I'm not comfortable or happy right now. I have a closet full of fabulous clothes I can not fit into and I don't want to spend money on new clothes. I'm losing out on some summer fun- won't go to the pool like this. Etc. I need the change now, that's what will help me be a better Mom.
Believe me, I understand all too well the pain of a closet full of tight clothes, annoyance at this stubborn body that won't do what I want it to, and so on. But as the daughter of a woman who was once very concerned with her weight, and has since taken a much more relaxed attitude towards weight and fitness (she is still very fit and at a healthy weight), I can tell you NOTHING will benefit your children more than if you can be kind to yourself and model self-acceptance at any size. Being in a panic to "get the weight off NOW" might make you feel productive and motivated, but it could create undue stress for both you and your children. They don't care what you weigh or how you look. They love you unconditionally, and that is such a precious thing. You can achieve the results you want without panicking or hating your body, and it will be a much more pleasant journey.

That said, on a more practical note, do you have an idea of how many calories you're eating in a day? It sounds to me like you might be way under the amount your body needs to thrive, especially if you're very active. What does a typical dinner look like? I wouldn't cut anything else out right now; it doesn't seem like you have anything to cut out! And everyone is going to tell you to eat breakfast, so I won't hammer it in

Best of luck to you and be well!
Jewcy is offline   Reply With Quote