Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5"9

Default Dealing with 'water weight'

I struggle a lot with water retention, partly because of health problems (I have IBS, that un-fixable, un-explainable problem...) which mean that I am almost always bloated. My doctor and I are trying to work through those problems and find some ways to alleviate my symptoms, though he tells me to be patient as it will take a while.

In the meantime, its kind of de-railing my weight loss attempts! Often, even after days I've been really good, drunk tonnes of water, eaten 1200 calories and run three miles, I wake up to find I've put on two pounds, and my stomach feels like I've swallowed a watermelon. Obviously this is partly a health thing, but if there are any tips people have for avoiding water retention in general, I would love to hear them. At the moment I feel I'm trying hard to shift pounds and its the best I can do not to put them on so if you have tips for dealing with these things psychologically I'd love to hear that too Sometimes I worry I'm 'tricking' myself into thinking its water retention and am really just getting heavier, so I guess I'd also like to know if people think water weight is 'real'?!
heatherph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #2  
Featherweight Member

Height: 5'2" - Small frame

Hi Heatherph! Here is something for you and your doctor to look into: "IBS and gluten sensitivity" ---Many studies had found a strong link between the two.

Also, one of the best ways to avoid water retention is to limit your intake of sodium and processed foods.

Hope it helps
Bluenach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8

Hi Heather!

I would say if you feel bloated then that is definitely the reason for the extra 2lbs. Have you tried an elimination diet? One of my friends did one because she was having serious gastro problems and they found a whole list of things she couldn't eat. She lost loads of weight doing it as well, but most of it came back on when she could eat normally again (she didn't need to lose any in the first place!)

Another thing, you are the same height as me give or take half an inch, and I am a runner too. If you are running frequently, I would say 1,200 calories is not enough. I think the general rule is that you should stick with your basal metabolic rate and never go under it. That means nearly 1,600 for me and the same for you, I'd imagine. Even on a quick 30min run, you'll be burning over 300 calories and if you don't replenish at least some of them, your body will use your muscle for fuel and it'll be harder to lose.

Sorry if I sound preachy! Good luck
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

This might not be an option for you, but I found doing low (or even just lower) carbs got rid of my water weight problems. (Obviously, it only works as long as you stay on lower carbs).

You could try just reducing your carbohydrate intake for a few days and see where that gets you.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5"9

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I do try to do low sodium and low processed but I probably don't try hard enough. Claire0412, I hear your concerns; when I said 1200 calories that's more hyperbole, I aim for 1200 in order to actually have about 1500 I have been trying an elimination diet with my doctor, but for some reason he doesn't think my problems are specifically food allergies. Still, can't hurt. And I haven't really tried low carb, except for just generally avoiding carbs to try to lose weight, so maybe I will give that more of a shot. Thanks!
heatherph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: varied over 130/122/110

Height: 5'2

ditto on the carbs, and that even means "healthy whole grains" like oatmeal and brown rice. they have little nutritional value anyway, and you can get fiber from veggies. and sometimes i think there is such thing as too much fiber, because i used to eat copious amounts of fibrous foods and had terrible digestive problems. the gluten thing is a huge thing too!!

good luck!
inteventionn is offline   Reply With Quote