Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

Default work sponsored weight loss?

My company is having a "biggest loser" competition. I think they are doing teams and counting % of body weight loss. Does this seem like a bad idea?

I was thinking about joining to see what they would do. They're so "ultra PC" about any other work related event (they won't even sponsor a carpool because they don't want people to feel bad if they want to drive solo every day), that I feel sort of resentful. Is it just low blood sugar making me cranky about this?
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Do you mean, is it a bad idea to have the competition, or for you to participate in it?

I say join the competition! If the spirit of the competition is to encourage and motivate people to lose weight, how does that not include you?

If it's a team thing, though, I can understand that you might not be people's first pick for their team. Even as a percentage of body weight, your number would be lower than some of the heavier people in the competition.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #3  

Choose your battles. Being too small to be a good weightloss team member isn't one I'd choose, you know?

All the attention to obesity lately reminds me of how suddenly smoking _really_ wasn't okay around the early 90s. The fatter people (and the smokers) got a lot of attention and a lot of pressure and a lot of pats on the back for going along with the new agenda, and the folks who didn't smoke (and who are thin) kind of never got congratulated. It'll pass.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 01-31-2011 at 12:01 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #4  

I'm not sure why it bothers me. Because health-care issues should not be a competition? Because "I lost more than you did" is not going to feel so great for the people who don't win? Because weight alone isn't a very accurate measure for good health? I guess I wouldn't feel so annoyed if our health care company offered health-related incentives (like gym membership discounts). This just seems sort of odd to me. I will probably participate to keep in the loop on what's happening. I can contribute about 10% to my team, so I won't be completely useless.

Maria, I couldn't agree more with what you said about the trend of the 90s.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #5  

Ok, I figured out why it bothers me. Because I don't want to be accountable. I went to HR to join yesterday and was told the nurse probably wouldn't let me because I wasn't heavy enough. (That would have made a normal person feel good right?) Anyway, I sweet talked them into letting me participate - because honestly, I don't have any delusions about winning - but now I have an excuse to give the people in my life who push calories on me - INCLUDING ME. (The worst offender.) It's 12 weeks long. I will be changing my S/C/G on Tuesday when I do my first weigh-in.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #6  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

My fiancee's company does this, but they have to pay 20 bucks or something to do it. I think they got a TBL work out DVD or something in return.

I think corporate sponsored weight loss is a bit more personal than I'd like to get with my coworkers, but that could entirely just be me. That being said, I think it's good to have programs for weight loss support available as an option for those who need/want to join.

I think my company does weight watchers meetings...but again, i can't imagine weighing and talking about all that with my coworkers. I much prefer being annonymous and talking to stranger's on the interweb. :P Ha. Yes, I am weird, I know...
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
I think corporate sponsored weight loss is a bit more personal than I'd like to get with my coworkers, but that could entirely just be me.
I totally agree. I'm a SAHM, so no workplace for me, but they are doing this for/to the teachers at my daughters' school and I think it's weird. Waaaaaay to personal for the workplace. Look around these boards and see all the issues with food? Do you really want to hear about that from the person in the next cubicle?
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #8  

Thank you - at least now I know my first response wasn't crazy. It IS really personal. I decided to join because it's individuals, not teams, so the only person who sees me on the scale is the nurse and I work in an office area that's separate from everyone else. My co-workers in that area are men and they are not participating, so I won't be reminded of the contest daily. Though I probably need to be to keep me on plan!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
I think corporate sponsored weight loss is a bit more personal than I'd like to get with my coworkers, but that could entirely just be me. That being said, I think it's good to have programs for weight loss support available as an option for those who need/want to join.
I totally agree. But as you said, you don't have to see the other competitors everyday, and it sounds like you're just following an plan and only the nurse will see you weight?

I would hate to have to talk to my co-workers about my deep issues with food, have them laugh at me at me because I'm not visibly struggling with my weight, then have to listen to them.
maenad is offline   Reply With Quote