Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:18 AM   #1  

Question What kind of a Weight Loss Program helped you????

It is GREAT to read all of the success posts.........HOWEVER, there are so many of your posts that DO NOT list what kind of a program you had followed to obtain the weight loss success. That is always interesting to know!!!

Would you guys please put your weight loss prgram somewhere......maybe down by your signature? It sure would help! ;-))

Thanking you all in advance!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
Old 01-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #2  

Default I AGREE!!

Congrats everyone! I just discovered this board and would love to hear what program people have had success with. Please post below so all you success stories can help out us newbies.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well, from my signature (as well as where I usually post) you can tell I'm a BIG fan of Body for Life...actually weight training in general...

I would first suggest doing some 'heavy reading' - not only the Body for Life book (by Bill Phillips - PUHLEEZE don't get this confused with "Fit for Life") which you should be able to find in your local library or on Amazon or Half.com - but also a WONDERFUL book by Michael Fumento called "The Fat of The Land: The Obesity Epidemic and How Overweight Americans Can Help Themselves". Since it was written in 1997, a lot of things have changed but it still gives some great info - I really found it an eye opener and have recommended it countless times!

And of course EVERYONE is invited to stop by the Body for Life/Bodybuilding forum here at 3FC *under Diet Plans*. Don't get scared by the word 'bodybuilding' - we aren't that hard core but we ARE building our bodies through weight training!

Have a super day y'all!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
I used to be a yo-yo dieter many moons ago...it was pretty much about starving myself, and no exercise. After I had my daughter-I was up to 210 pounds-and finally lost all of the weight through a moderate low calorie/low fat plan and through lots of regular exercise. I reached my goal, and kept the weight off until my second pregnancy-which left me right back up at 211 pounds-and I am going down the path of getting fit and reaching my goal once again-this time, for life-since I am having no more babies!
I have lost 23 so far-and am really enjoying the entire journey, not just when I reach my goal. I eat between 1300-1800 calories a day-I let my body and its varying hunger from day to day be a guide of how much I eat-and I try to eat plenty of low fat dairy, lean protein, and fruits and veggies-keeping simple carbs such as bagels and white pasta to a minimum. My exercise routine is as follows:
Monday and Friday-whole body strength training with weights (I do bodybuilding/Body For Life types of exercises)
Tuesday and Thursday-bellydancing-(a great cardio workout)
Wednesday-Pilates (really works the back, abs, and hips/buns)
Saturday and Sundays-yoga or some outdoor activity like walking.
I drink lots of water, and try to use sugar free products that contain Splenda or sucralose over those that contain aspartame/Nutrasweet/Equal due to less side effects.
What is most important to me, is that my healthy habits are rubbing off on my 4 year old daughter-who loves her Teletubbies exercise tape, our outdoor walks-and loves fruit and yogurt. (My 1 year old son has also tried to imitate my yoga poses, such as downward dog position.) I was an unhealthy eater as a child, and not as active as I could have been. Raising her with good habits to learn from is very important to me. It feels so good to have her ask me for yogurt when we are at the store, and then rarely make a peep in the cookie aisle.
I truly think that your attitude is greatly important to your success. Thinking positive about all of the wonderful things that you are doing for yourself works much more than thinking of your exercise as "punishment" or feeling "deprived" because you cannot have a Snickers bar today.
Good luck to all of you!
Aphil
Old 02-01-2003, 11:22 AM   #5  

Talking

Well I am only in my second week at Weight Watchers, but it IS working. I have lost 4.6 lbs in 2 weeks. I can eat ANYTHING, just a lot less of everything! Makes sense. Especially when you look up how many points a typical meal was before WW, you realize quick that you have been totally overeating for a long time and it just became normal for you.

I have heard very good things about Body for Life, and when I have a more significant weight loss I will probably look into it more. I don't see the point of shaping my horrible body right now! I will save that part for when I can really appreciate the results!

Well hope this helps people>

Glory
Old 02-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Glory-please don't wait until you lose weight to start shaping your body with exercise. Exercise will burn calories and help you lose the weight faster-as well as help you look so much better when you get to your goal. You don't want to lose all of your weight and then be left with a flabby body that will take months to firm up-when you get to goal you want to already be there!
Aphil
Old 02-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #7  

Jo Ann,

I've been attending weight watchers meetings for just over 7 months and I've lost a total of 45 lbs with only 5 lbs to go till my goal. The meetings have been extremely helpful because I get the support I need to keep myself going. But if I didn't have determination and will power, I wouldn't have lost this much.
Many programs work to help take the weight off but you need the strength to get there. You need to find a program that works for you.
Good luck in your weight loss journey!

Joy
Old 02-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #8  
Mel

Default How I got there and found it wasn't my goal

I lost 40 pounds doings Sugarbusters, and a lot of exercise: weights and running. But when I got to my goal weight, I realized it sure wasn't my goal body. I then did BFL and have continued with intense weight training and clean eating for the last year. I haven't lost any more scale weight, but my body fat % dropped from 28 to 18, and my jeans size from 8 to 4. I don't think I'll ever have my goal body, but I'm sure a lot closer than when I was only at my goal weight!

mel

176/133/135
Old 02-05-2003, 11:29 AM   #9  

Angry Atkins helped me...

At 60, and after years of avoiding high fat, going to aerobics classes, working out in the gym, walking and trying to adhere to all of the "expert" wisdom about the right, low-fat, way to eat, I started the Atkins plan last November and have lost 20 pounds, feel good and don't get hungry. There must be something to this theory!
Old 02-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #10  
princessofdarkness

Smile weight loss program that finally did it

Hi, your question was what weight loss program helped? Weight Watchers. Absolutely. Have kept 8-10 lb. below my goal weight since Sept. 2001. I recommend it to anyone. I tried NutriSystem twice over the years but it was (a) expensive (b) boring and (c) not a life-changing program. Go for it!
Oh, I should add that I started out at 222.5 lb. and this morning was 135.5. See, ladies? It works! Took me a year and nine months to do it, but it was worth it! Along the way I also managed to lose another 235 pounds of unwanted fat... my husband!
OH and one of the most important things: As soon as I could walk without a lot of pain (after I lost about the first 15 lb) I started walking religiously. Now I use a treadmill at home, but I try to put in my time 4 - 5 times a week. Keeps you honest! WALKING IS CHEAP, EASY AND INTERESTING!! DO IT!

Last edited by princessofdarkness; 02-08-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #11  

Just the basic counting calories, excersizing, counting fat grams and drinking about a gallon of water a day. I have tried practically all the others and this one always gives the most success and I feel really healthy too
Old 02-13-2003, 10:48 PM   #12  

Weight watchers helped me lose 35 lbs this year, but a little modified. I actually am very carefull to eat TONS of food every day. I make a lot of hot veggie dishes inspired by many ethnic foods (Indian, chinese, thai) but I use mostly just lots and lots of veggies in everything. Low cal but very filling.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #13  

I went on a low calorie diet, 1000-1200 cals. Also walking 3 miles every morning. Since I live in Iowa it is so cold now so I bought an air recumbent bike and try to ride anywhere between 5-20 miles on that per day and also just recently bought a Gazelle air walker and try to walk on that about 15-20 minutes a day as well. I also do Slimfast in the mornings and sometimes have one at lunch or a low cal lunch, whichever I am in the mood for. I was taking Metabolite with Ephedra and it made my heart race too much and made me too hyper, so I am taking vitamins now, several different ones, but no weight loss pills. I have always been the huge one in the family at 215 lbs and knew things had to change. Now I am at 160, still too big for my 5 foot 3 frame, but I am looking so good now and hear it from everyone and I feel so much better. Having had back surgery in 1991, this weight loss has also helped that. My 13 yr old son is bigger than me now, but he is muscular. 5 foot 7 and 167 lbs, no fat on him. It was neat trying on his jeans a few months back and showing him that I could wear them and they were kind of loose on me. That was a wonderful feeling.............Iowasweet Oh, I also gave up sugar and use Splenda, and I used to be a 4 can of regular pop a day person and now only drink diet. I hated diet at first, but now I love it and can't stand the regular stuff. I also try to drink a gallon of water a day, but it is hard now in the winter and was so much easier in the summer, but I know that water intake is a must to lose weight..............
Old 03-11-2003, 03:00 PM   #14  

I joined WW at the end of May 2002 and have lost 55 pounds. The last few months have been really slow and I am getting discouraged. I go to the gym three times a week and do pilates on the days that I do not make it. I'm really getting fit and I can feel myself toning up.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:25 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi

My plan is pretty simple but it works! For me personally I don't believe in "dieting" but in just getting on a healthful eating/exercise plan and sticking with it. My general rule is "If God created it, it is okay to eat, in sensible amounts... but if people messed around with it and filled it full of junk, best to avoid most of it." i.e. veggies... even potatoes, etc... are okay; twinkies best not.

I do take Juice Plus Complete -- and occasionally Juice Plus Thins -- as a supplement as I find it helps tremendously in eliminating cravings and making me feel better overall.

I try to work out at the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week... cardio and strength training... and walk or climb stairs or whatever when I can in between times. I live in a huge apartment complex with lots and lots of 3-story buildings, so just a "lap" around the surrounding buildings close to me will rack up some quick stair climbing.

And... most important of all... I rely on the Lord for strength to keep making it... and have lots of prayer support from my Christian friends.

AND I promise my best friend at the beginning of each month that if I "mess up" the next month I will go to a Christian weight loss program sponsored by my church... which I think is horrid but she loves and lost lot of weight on. I KNOW I will not blow it if the consequences are attending THAT!!! And each month I am successful I reward myself with some special item I want. Reward for good behavior ... punishment for bad.

Oh... and I DON'T "cheat" --- not EVER!!! I don't think of how good chocolate tastes but what a horrible thing it does to me... and I learn not to WANT it!! One big piece of cake equals one hour on the treadmill... no thanks!!

Sue

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-24-2003 at 08:30 AM.
Closed Thread