Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Default My terrible Christmas

We went to my husband's dad's house for our annual Christmas gathering. My SIL was there, and she has lost 19 pounds. She currently weighs 111. My FIL went on and on about how great she looked, and the subject kept rolling bak to how skinny she was. She kept sayin ghow unhappy she was at her OLD weight and how FAT she was. Her OLD weight happens to be exactly what I weigh right now. Not only that, but we are the exact same height. I felt like Shamu the whole day. I have not gotten over it, either. I feel so big. I know in reality I am not, but this has really triggered awful feelings for me. BLEAH!!!
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

When you reach your destination, you'll get all the accolades too. You aren't Shamu, you're still on your journey.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

I'm sorry you had to endure that! (I'm pretty certain that at your current height and weight you probably look pretty darn good.) It's very possible that your SIL may feel like Shamu too and all that attention might feel great for a little while, but if you feel like Shamu in your head, it doesn't really matter what the scale or anyone else, FIL included, says. Do it for you, not for them! You will get there!
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't feel bad- my family went on and ON about how beautiful my sister is this Christmas- I felt like an ugly sloth and it was depressing but I know I am beautiful too and that my mom was just raving cuz she hadn't seen my sister in over a year.

At your height you are NOT fat at all- don't beat yourself up- when you hit goal soon you'll be hearing all that praise as well- you've already done well

Last edited by beerab; 12-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Good attitude beerab!
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree, don't feel bad. Comparisons are so horrible. In high school my smallest size was a size 10, almost. In my group of friends everyone was a size 2 and 4 so I felt so huge constantly and hated myself.
Now that I'm out and went up to a 22, and am now down to a 12-14, I feel svelte and can see it was more the comparison (with people of different body compositions as well) that made me upset than that I was as heavy as I thought I was.

I think your family was unfair to talk so much about it, but like the PP said, you are in the midst of your journey and soon you will be noticed also.

I hope your new year goes much better.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I can also almost guarantee that unless your SIL actually knows what you weigh right now, she has no idea that you weigh now what she thought was too fat for herself. We tend to view others as being thinner than we are, even if we're the same weight.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW210/CW189/GW115

Height: 5ft

I'm sure she wasn't saying those things as a personal attack towards you and the compliments that were made weren't meant to make you feel bad. I like hearing the praises when I lose weight, it helps keep me motivated. It wouldn't be fair if people refrain from complimenting her just so that your feelings won't be hurt. And you are definitely not Shamu for your height and weight. If you were feeling offended it seems like it was because of your own insecurities. I know how you feel though. Whenever there is any reference to anyone's weight and I'm in the room I immediately feel my insides turning and my face getting red But I get along with my sister in law, and if she lost some weight I'd be joining in with everyone else to sing her praises and just ask for some pointers.
luckyme0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #9  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Ugh! I feel for you. I have a sister who is twenty pounds less and happens to be 4 inches taller too! I hate hearing her go on about how fat she thinks she is, how she won't eat sugar, white flour, red meat, dairy, anything with fat and any beverage with calories. It makes me feel worse than anything else in the world to be trying to eat with her and she refuses half the foods i suggest. I feel like the biggest cow in the world and it really seriously depresses me waaay more than it should.

I don't have great advice, just that I really, really, feel for you and you should know that you are currently at a fine height/weight so I bet you look great already!!! As others said, you are on a journey and you will have your day soon too when you reach goal.

Also, depending on body frame/muscle mass, you can look entirely different tha she did at the same weight. Have you seen those height/weights with picture charts? It's really surprising. http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodie...htweight.shtml
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/122.4/healthy for life

Height: 5' 7.5"

I'm so sorry you were made to feel that way.
I was on the other end of that this Christmas--my uncle and I have both gotten into really good shape, while my mom is still struggling to get back into her size 16 jeans she had before she got pregnant with Naomi (my youngest sister). It's not easy when others make comments like that, even if you're on the receiving end of the compliment.
You're done FANTASTIC so far; keep it up!
oneoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote